Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

World War Three?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
    Fair enough Of course you are right and whether this was the correct call is not determined by your specific desire to serve. So, I apologize for the low blow. I just really, really, really don't like war. We've been in Iraq for 2/5s of my life!
    It's all good, man.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Fair enough Of course you are right and whether this was the correct call is not determined by your specific desire to serve. So, I apologize for the low blow. I just really, really, really don't like war. We've been in Iraq for 2/5s of my life!
      I signed up after GW I. Iran knows full well it would get stomped by the US in open war - which is why it's been fighting a proxy war against the Great Satan in the shadows for decades.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        She married Marilyn Manson a while ago. She's never been hinged...
        Meh. Manson was just the 90s Alice Cooper. 95% shtick.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Meh. Manson was just the 90s Alice Cooper. 95% shtick.
          Alice Cooper is actually quite a thoughtful guy, and a Christian now to boot.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            Alice Cooper is actually quite a thoughtful guy, and a Christian now to boot.
            But when he was married to her, he was a weirdo
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              I signed up after GW I. Iran knows full well it would get stomped by the US in open war - which is why it's been fighting a proxy war against the Great Satan in the shadows for decades.
              Foreign policy is something I am ignorant about and I'm much more likely to speak from emotion. I'm glad Sulemani is dead and I hope it sends some message that you can't openly harbor people who are killing americans. And I will gladly give Trump full credit if this situation can be kept under control.

Comment

The ignorant... literally burns...

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The old tweets mentioned earlier in the thread where Trump implied Obama would spark war with Iran to win re-election have been reposted all over the web but I don't see this situation as analogous. Trump's general skepticism of US involvement in the Mideast hasn't publicly changed (there's a reason John Bolton didn't last too long in the administration), and he knows his base is war-weary. Whether actually strategically wise or not, it's not as if there's no plausible strategical justification for taking this particular terrorist out so it seems more reasonable to analyze the action on its own merits rather than try to invent a Canadian Bacon scenario.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

No one likes war (except maybe the military industrial complex) and no sane person wants a war...but sometimes, to stop a war, you have to be proactive. Bullies attack weaker people...or sneak attack stronger peoples flanks.

After the Iranian revolution in 1979, a group seized the US Embassy in Tehran and held Americans hostage for 444 days. Whether it was a justified revolution or not, (it probably was), the seizure of our Embassy was not. Now, Iran is backing a faction to besiege our Embassy in Iraq...and to stop it, we blew up the mastermind behind it...if they want to go to war with the US for that (they don't) then sucks to be them. They want citizens in the US to be afraid. Afraid of war, afraid of retaliation...afraid. I never served in the military, and now I'm too old to be accepted in the military but I would serve proudly now if I could. I'm a hunter...I can shoot pretty darn good.
                    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

But when he was married to her, he was a weirdo
                      Isn't Marylin Manson still a weirdo?
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Isn't Marylin Manson still a weirdo?
                        Is Marylin Manson still alive?
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

EGGzackly -- and they've gotten used to being bullies without being smacked down -- to the extent of flying into Baghdad to engage in more terrorism without fear of interference.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Foreign policy is something I am ignorant about and I'm much more likely to speak from emotion. I'm glad Sulemani is dead and I hope it sends some message that you can't openly harbor people who are killing americans. And I will gladly give Trump full credit if this situation can be kept under control.
                            The talking head Dems appear to be trying their best to talk us into war, or to use it for fearmongering. Cooler heads need to prevail.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                              No one likes war (except maybe the military industrial complex) and no sane person wants a war...but sometimes, to stop a war, you have to be proactive. Bullies attack weaker people...or sneak attack stronger peoples flanks.

After the Iranian revolution in 1979, a group seized the US Embassy in Tehran and held Americans hostage for 444 days. Whether it was a justified revolution or not, (it probably was), the seizure of our Embassy was not. Now, Iran is backing a faction to besiege our Embassy in Iraq...and to stop it, we blew up the mastermind behind it...if they want to go to war with the US for that (they don't) then sucks to be them. They want citizens in the US to be afraid. Afraid of war, afraid of retaliation...afraid. I never served in the military, and now I'm too old to be accepted in the military but I would serve proudly now if I could. I'm a hunter...I can shoot pretty darn good.
                              Reminds me of the iconic song by the Temptations "War"... but with a slight modification:
                              War, huh, yeah
                              What is it good for
                              Absolutely nothing
                              Abolishing slavery and stopping Hitler

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                The old tweets mentioned earlier in the thread where Trump implied Obama would spark war with Iran to win re-election have been reposted all over the web but I don't see this situation as analogous. Trump's general skepticism of US involvement in the Mideast hasn't publicly changed (there's a reason John Bolton didn't last too long in the administration), and he knows his base is war-weary. Whether actually strategically wise or not, it's not as if there's no plausible strategical justification for taking this particular terrorist out so it seems more reasonable to analyze the action on its own merits rather than try to invent a Canadian Bacon scenario.
                                There will always be a base of Republicans that will support a president (particularly a Republican one) in the event of a war, but there is a rather large base of Trump supporters that are pretty fervently against interventionism of any kind, particularly with Iran, even if Iran was the provocateur (just read the comment section at sites like zerohedge). So if this escalates, I don't think this is going to be positive for Trump in regards to election. On the other hand, it's possible that the left has so shot themselves in the foot politically that it won't matter.

Comment