Thread: World War Three?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

World War Three?

This is not going to end well....

Iranís Gen. Soleimani killed in airstrike at Baghdad airport

FILE - In this Thursday, Feb. 11, 2016, file photo, Qassem Soleimani, commander of Iran's Quds Force, attends an annual rally commemorating the anniversary of the 1979 Islamic revolution, in Tehran, Iran. Iraqi TV and three Iraqi officials said Friday, Jan. 3, 2020, that Gen. Qassem Soleimani, the head of Iranís elite Quds Force, has been killed in an airstrike at Baghdadís international airport.

Baghdad (AP) ó Gen. Qassim Soleimani, the head of Iranís elite Quds Force, was killed in an airstrike at Baghdadís international airport Friday, Iraqi television and three Iraqi officials said.

The strike also killed Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, the deputy commander of Iran-backed militias known as the Popular Mobilization Forces, or PMF, the officials said

Their deaths are a potential turning point in the Middle East and are expected to draw severe retaliation from Iran and the forces it backs in the Middle East against Israel and American interests.

The PMF blamed the United States for an attack at Baghdad International Airport Friday.

https://apnews.com/5597ff0f046a67805cc233d5933a53ed
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    This is not going to end well....
    It's something that would take an untold measure of consideration and post-action diplomatic planning to get through without further escalation. Very unlikely that's happened. I have serious doubts there's much coherent post-action strategy at all, diplomatic or otherwise.

Two evil men killed but the death toll is likely to get much worse.

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" ó Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Not World War III, but it's going to bring on more terrorist strikes. That's what Iran does anyway, proxy attacks through terrorists.

I don't see the point of this targeted strike by US troops. What is it supposed to achieve?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronson View Post
    Not World War III, but it's going to bring on more terrorist strikes. That's what Iran does anyway, proxy attacks through terrorists.

I don't see the point of this targeted strike by US troops. What is it supposed to achieve?
    Well we killed one of the most prolific state terrorist in the Middle East, and from what I'm hearing he may have been in Baghdad to coordinate an attack on our embassy, before moving on to raise more hell in Syria.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    It's something that would take an untold measure of consideration and post-action diplomatic planning to get through without further escalation. ...

--Sam
    You are deluded if you think any degree of 'post-action diplomatic planning' would have done anything to prevent further escalation...

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well we killed one of the most prolific state terrorist in the Middle East, and from what I'm hearing he may have been in Baghdad to coordinate an attack on our embassy, before moving on to raise more hell in Syria.
    I see more entanglement. Tit for tat, and we're mired in that dunghole for another 10-20 years.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You are deluded if you think any degree of 'post-action diplomatic planning' would have done anything to prevent further escalation...
    Not altogether, certainly. Mitigate would be a better word.

But doing it this way, with this kind of follow-up from official sources, is most certainly going to exacerbate the situation, not de-escalate.

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" ó Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronson View Post
    I see more entanglement. Tit for tat, and we're mired in that dunghole for another 10-20 years.
    I'm not sure, it depends on how Iran reacts, and if their allies Russia and China get involved. Remember what the killing of a little known Archduke inaugurated...

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm not sure, it depends on how Iran reacts, and if their allies Russia and China get involved. Remember what the killing of a little known Archduke inaugurated...
    Interesting. Did you notice the timing of the US tipping off Russia about terrorists in St Petersburg? Perhaps that was hoped to temper their criticism about this? China probably won't yap about it too much because it's not their game. Iran/Iraq is too far away from their foremost concerns.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This is an act of war.

But the US constitution says Congress, not the President, has the power to determine who the US is or isn't at war with. So this is an unconstitutional act, outside the bounds of Trump's authority.

Worth adding this to the list of impeachment charges?

Do the Trumptards here still support Trump even if he leads the US unconstitutionally into war with Iran?