Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ethical naivete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    You’ve really backed off from your initial false accusation - I guess that’s your way of not apologizing when you’re wrong but trying to save face.
    Matthew 12:36
    "Loonies"

Enough said?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
      "Loonies"

Enough said?
      "Whitewashed tombs"

Enough said?
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
        ”Usefulness” ? That sounds like consequentialism, rather than Christian morality.
        I suppose if you twist it just right you could call it that.

Consequentialism: “This person has many glaring & notorious faults, but we can prudently calculate that, if he elected, he will produce some right/good results”.
        Sounds like you're describing King David, whom God loved and used mightily. (and, no, I am NOT comparing Trump to KD)

Christian ethics: “This person is, whatever his faults, mostly of good character, so we can prudently judge that, if elected, he will produce some right/good results”.

Consequentialism fits comfortably with Pragmatism, which in some form seems to be the US philosophy par excellence.
        We didn't elect Trump to be Pastor-in-Chief --- and the alternative was Hillary Clinton.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
          I wonder if any of the Trump-voters here had Bad Orange Man as their top choice during the primaries. AFAIK, only one person among my RL Christian friends did (and she was very gung-ho). My top choices were Lyin' Ted and Carly "Look at that Face!" Fiorina. In the general election, it was literally a last-moment prayerful decision in the voting booth as to whether I would vote for Trump or no one.

I have had no regrets about voting for Trump, and I will have no qualms about voting for him again this year. I have been more pleased with his results than with previous results of voting based on so-called "Christian ethics."
          Trump wasn't even on my list in the primaries.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
            "Loonies"

Enough said?
            Well, I bet it won't stop your judgmental little condemnations.

Comment

I see that Bill the Cat has gone to the level where he is willing to accept dehumanizing talk, talk boardering at racism, flat out lies, inhuman treatment of innocent children for something he defines as a higher moral ground. Based on his posts it seems money far outweighs the value of truth. He also seems to be completely blind to and ignorant about the fact that talking in dehumanizing ways is not only "talk" or "perception". It is forming reality and the way others are treateted. His ability to accept lies, dehumanizing talk and inhuman treatments of others could be caused by the fact that he has listened way too much to it.
              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                I see that Bill the Cat has gone to the level where he is willing to accept dehumanizing talk...
                I shall report him forthwith -- what punishment do you think is adequate?

Comment

I see that Bill the Cat has gone to the level where he is willing to accept dehumanizing talk, talk boardering at racism, flat out lies, inhuman treatment of innocent children for something he defines as a higher moral ground.
                  Correct.

James 2:16
                  16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it?

Based on his posts it seems money far outweighs the value of truth.
                  Wrong. What you whined about isn't "truth", so stop conflating the two.

He also seems to be completely blind to and ignorant about the fact that talking in dehumanizing ways is not only "talk" or "perception". It is forming reality and the way others are treateted.
                  Forming reality??? Are you even reading what you are typing???

His ability to accept lies, dehumanizing talk and inhuman treatments of others could be caused by the fact that he has listened way too much to it.
                  And it matters not a hill of beans in comparison to the greater good. That you are incapable of seeing that through your TrumpOCD isn't my problem.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

What you left out when only partly quoting me says quite a lot.
                    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

What you left out when only partly quoting me says quite a lot.
                      Cool, I'll report me, too.

Comment

Chicken strips!!
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                          Chicken strips!!
                          You and I can go to the Gulag together, BtC..... we can catch up on previous confinements.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            James 2:16
                            16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it?
                            Saying your actions should follow your words does not imply actions is always the most important. Neither does it say that it is ok to humiliate, talk in dehumanizing ways or even lie. I hope you did note that the example was not: "If one of you says to them, “Go back where you came from...”

Comment

Saying your actions should follow your words does not imply actions is always the most important. Neither does it say that it is ok to humiliate, talk in dehumanizing ways or even lie. I hope you did note that the example was not: "If one of you says to them, “Go back where you came from...”
                              Charles, I missed the part where BtC lied. Can you please post that so I can have him circumspectly shamed and flogged?

Comment

Charles, I missed the part where BtC lied. Can you please post that so I can have him circumspectly shamed and flogged?
                                Never said he did so if there is a lie, ironically, it is your own statement above.

Comment