Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ethical naivete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Dennis Prager summed it up for us:
    And here is some

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
      And here is some
      Oh the melodrama....
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Oh the melodrama....
        That made me laugh.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Thank you for proving my point, Chuck.
          It's sad I can only give this one Amen.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            I think Trump's real and perceived failings have been overblown by his critics. It can't simply be that he made a mistake, or he's a hypocrite, or he has a different idea about how a president should conduct himself, or whatever. Rather, it has to be because "He's the evils!!!1!!1!" Case in point, the thread about his golfing habits. Rather than simply saying something uncontroversial like, "The man's a hypocrite," the lefties here are accusing him of breaking the law because he chooses to play golf at his own resorts, which is of course an absurd accusation. We spend so much time talking anti-Trumpers off the ledge that what Trump is actually doing seems to get lost in the noise, and then the next "crisis" rears its head, and the cycle repeats. There's no balance in any discussion dealing with Trump, and it's gotten tiresome.
            The religious right made some pretty good arguments, back when Clinton and GW Bush were president. If those arguments were appropriate back then, they are appropriate today. We have repudiated most all the arguments made then.

The golf thread is not so bad, it highlights the schizophrenia within today's conservatism. Golfing habits of Democrats was denounced in the past.

Comment

Oh the melodrama....
              If that is the level of concern you have got for the people, including innocent children, suffering the consequences of inhuman policies and statements i think we are past the level of ethical naivete. What has hardened your heart to the level where you feel it is ok to describe human tragedies as if it is melodrama and somehing to make fun of?

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                The religious right made some pretty good arguments, back when Clinton and GW Bush were president. If those arguments were appropriate back then, they are appropriate today. We have repudiated most all the arguments made then.

The golf thread is not so bad, it highlights the schizophrenia within today's conservatism. Golfing habits of Democrats was denounced in the past.
                I'm an equal opportunity anti-golfer.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                  If that is the level of concern you have got for the people, including innocent children, suffering the consequences of inhuman policies and statements i think we are past the level of ethical naivete. What has hardened your heart to the level where you feel it is ok to describe human tragedies as if it is melodrama and somehing to make fun of?
                  Charles, you're dealing with outdated talking points... get the new and improved liberal talking points for dummies.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Charles, you're dealing with outdated talking points... get the new and improved liberal talking points for dummies.
                    Do you realize that your constant insults and disdain for Charles and Jiml when they stand for the things Christ taught us in the Sermon on the Mount makes a mockery of those same teachings?
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      Do you realize that your constant insults and disdain for Charles
                      Ummmm... I have ZERO disdain for Charles -- I think he's kind of entertaining, and I've actually had some pleasant conversations with him.

and Jiml
                      I haven't been interacting with JimL at all for quite a while, Jim, but you and he keep pretty good company. And I don't have any disdain for him - I just think he's incredibly ill-informed and doesn't have anything of value to offer, which is why I don't respond to him, even though he's constantly trying to goad me.

when they stand for the things Christ taught us in the Sermon on the Mount makes a mockery of those same teachings?
                      You're not making any sense, Jim. "when they stand for the things Christ taught us" refers to whom? Charles and JimL?

I'm guessing you mean like when JimL is for illegal immigration or attacking Christians, or mocking God or the Holy Spirit, or advancing homosexuality or defending IGLA or NAMBLA or abortion on demand.....

He's not here to learn about Jesus, Jim --- he's here to mock and attack Christians and Christianity. The very Christ who died for us.

But you and he appear to have become buds, so...

Comment

Ummmm... I have ZERO disdain for Charles -- I think he's kind of entertaining, and I've actually had some pleasant conversations with him.

I haven't been interacting with JimL at all for quite a while, Jim, but you and he keep pretty good company. And I don't have any disdain for him - I just think he's incredibly ill-informed and doesn't have anything of value to offer, which is why I don't respond to him, even though he's constantly trying to goad me.

You're not making any sense, Jim. "when they stand for the things Christ taught us" refers to whom? Charles and JimL?

I'm guessing you mean like when JimL is for illegal immigration or attacking Christians, or mocking God or the Holy Spirit, or advancing homosexuality or defending IGLA or NAMBLA or abortion on demand.....

He's not here to learn about Jesus, Jim --- he's here to mock and attack Christians and Christianity. The very Christ who died for us.

He/They may think Christian's are full of it. But I wonder how he/they got that idea? Could it be related to being mocked and laughed at by Christian's that claim they represent the love, grace, and mercy of Jesus Christ?

And your claim not to have disdain for them is contradicted by nearly every post you make to them. So if you dont disdain them, you might want to inform whatever it is that does your typing
                        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-04-2020, 11:47 PM.
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Morality should always be a goal to which Christians strive and grow.

My best friend's dad was an atheist, and one of the most "moral and decent" men I've ever known. He simply wasn't at war with God like some atheists are.
                          If athiests were at war with god, they wouldn't be atheists.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            The may think Christian's are full of it.
                            Some are.

But I wonder how he got that idea? Could it be related to being mocked and laughed at by Christian's that claim they represent the love, grace, and mercy of Jesus Christ?
                            Yeah, sure, he came here as a seeker wanting love and acceptance, and we slammed the door in his face.

And your claim not to have disdain for them is contradicted by nearly every post you make to them.
                            That's because my posts are viewed through your disdain for me because I don't hate Trump as much as you do. That shows in nearly every post you make to me and about me.

And you might explain to your new BFF that atheists are INDEED at war with God, or they wouldn't be trying to remove every reminder of Him, like 10 Commandments, Crosses, "In God We Trust"....

Scripture Verse: Romans 8:7

Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

© Copyright Original Source

You do believe ALL of the Word of God, don't you Jim?

So, you see what's happening here? You're defending your atheist friends against your Christian brother, and they're eating it up.

Which is why I'm going to allow you to have the last word on this, and no longer engage in a battle with you in front of the enemies of the Cross.

(Note - I don't really consider Charles an enemy of the cross)

Comment

And then you go and do the very thing you deny doing. I'm not for illegal immigration, that's a lie. I don't attack christians just because I argue against their beliefs. And I can't mock god or the holy spirit if I don't believe in god or the holy spirit. I support homosexuals right to be who they are, that's not advancing homosexuality, and yes I defended IGLA as a human rights organization even though NAMBLA was once associated with them and I support abortion rights. So what? And believe me CP, Jim is right on this point, if anyone wanted to learn more about the man Jesus, you wouldn't exactly be the ideal person to learn from.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                And then you go and do the very thing you deny doing. I'm not for illegal immigration, that's a lie.
                                My apologies -- I think this is debatable, but I worded it poorly.

And if I thought there was even a SNOWBALL's CHANCE that you wanted to learn about Jesus, I'd be just as patient with you as I was with my Jewish atheist leftist lesbian friend, who actually brought her partner and her partner's mother to Church a few weeks ago!

Comment