Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Divided Methodists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
    Go ahead, prove you're too much of a coward to admit you were wrong, goober.
    I admit I was wrong - I actually didn't think you could be this petty and nasty.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Go ahead, prove you're too much of a coward to admit you were wrong, goober.

Most of the name calling on here is from Christians. Someone might mistake you for a Christian if you are not careful.

Comment

That'd be a lot more compelling if it was what he claimed, and it wasn't in direct response to his denial.
        ... splitting up over homosexuality and other issues like the science of evolution centering on the literal fundamentalist view of the Bible versu the adaptive interpretive view of liberal churches

followed by
        Incomplete representation of my post.

and a reiteration of the list you didn't read the first time.

And we know you, goober. Try reading what he actually said before you dogpile, preacher. It'll improve your looks. Unless you like looking yellow. That said, I dare ya, no, I double dare ya to step up to the mic next Sunday and declare you accept the theory of evolution, because the evidence that it's true is beyond compelling, and all truth is God's truth.

Then come on back and tell us how that worked out for ya, how it wasn't a divisive topic after all.
        What are you trying to do here besides polish your JerkTM credentials? Shunya made a false statement (and then, as is his wont, provided a reference that does not provide the support he thinks it does), and rogue called him on it. No one is claiming that the theory of evolution is not divisive. If you're going to chide people for not paying attention, it helps to do so yourself.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
          Most of the name calling on here is from Christians. Someone might mistake you for a Christian if you are not careful.
          A quick browse through Civics would show your assertion to be fallacious. Your trolling is a little too obvious here.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            A quick browse through Civics would show your assertion to be fallacious. Your trolling is a little too obvious here.
            iMaybe Jim's last name is Lamebrain, and Charles goes by the nickname of Chuckles. And maybe the common rhetorical devices used on Tweb, by Christians, is forthright and open. And maybe Christians do address the arguments made and not rely on forms of ad hom, sliding around the points made. And maybe those Christians who disagree are not real Christians, unable to present the true and unadulterated faith.

I addressed Juvenal, I didn't think his name calling was appropriate. He lists his faith as humanist, so I assume that he is not a Christian. If Juvenal does not adopt the faith, maybe he could adapt the appearances.

Comment

iMaybe Jim's last name is Lamebrain, and Charles goes by the nickname of Chuckles. And maybe the common rhetorical devices used on Tweb, by Christians, is forthright and open. And maybe Christians do address the arguments made and not rely on forms of ad hom, sliding around the points made. And maybe those Christians who disagree are not real Christians, unable to present the true and unadulterated faith.

I addressed Juvenal, I didn't think his name calling was appropriate. He lists his faith as humanist, so I assume that he is not a Christian. If Juvenal does not adopt the faith, maybe he could adapt the appearances.
              Thought I would bump this up, since several threads have devolved into disputes on whether the other side is descending to irrational name calling.

Maybe it is just an anger fueled parody of reasoned discussion.

Comment

What are you trying to do here besides polish your JerkTM credentials? Shunya made a false statement ...
                Frank's statement wasn't false.

Comment

Ironically enough, that's only a worry with Christians of suspect Christianity.

There was a time I'd declare attacks on posters out of bounds for my threads, but the privilege of doing so has since been revoked. Their board, their rules.

Often enough, the preacher adds useful insight to a thread, and I appreciate that. That includes this thread. Too often, he just goobers, that being a shorthand description of blundering ignorance accompanied with a demeaning or cutting remark — occasionally unintentional, but, in any case, "cleanup on aisle CP" posts.

Rouge misread Frank's post (and so did the piglet it seems), a mistake which could have been handled with dignity, if by itself. The preacher, on the other hand, didn't bother to read Frank's post, and piled on, choosing to do the "petty and nasty" by taking Rouge's misreading at face value and using it to mock Frank as living in "his own little world."

That, by the way, was an unmistakable reference to senile dementia directed toward Frank, the very same reference toward Frank I'd previously, and wrongly, associated with CP, and for which association I'd apologized.

Yeah, irony.

Not quite sure what to do with the preacher. He's capable of sufficient introspection to find his "I was wrr... not right" moment. I've seen him do it. But first, of course, he has to be made aware of his blunders, and that's an effort I'm not willing to make for him any more. I've been there, and done that, and now it's time to do other things.

Comment

Thought I would bump this up.

What are the expections for civil discourse on this Christian site?

Comment

Thought I would bump this up.

What are the expections for civil discourse on this Christian site?
                      Mine are pretty low. I'm proud that I'm usually able to tolerate the "no profanity" rule.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                        Mine are pretty low. I'm proud that I'm usually able to tolerate the "no profanity" rule.
                        Okay. So anything is acceptable as long as profanity, or references to profanity, is absent?

Is "attacking Christians" acceptable?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          A) Who's "we", Juvie?
                          2) Do you honestly believe anybody here takes you seriously.
                          Of course there are people that take him seriously (at least when he's being serious). The peanut gallery you are a part of is not the entire readership on this site.
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I dont think so obp. Mm calls people names in almost every single post when he changes their tags in his replies. The pile ons attacking people like charles or jiml almost always involve name calling from the Christian's. And have you looked at pixies posts recently?
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              Of course there are people that take him seriously (at least when he's being serious).
                              Good think you added that tag -- even YOU know he's a hack.

The peanut gallery you are a part of is not the entire readership on this site.
                              Dishing out some more of your sanctimonious fruit of the spirit?
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                                I dont think so obp. Mm calls people names in almost every single post when he changes their tags in his replies. The pile ons attacking people like charles or jiml almost always involve name calling from the Christian's. And have you looked at pixies posts recently?
                                TWeb has always been a site where the Christian posters push back hard against posters who post (what they see as) poor arguments or data-free nonsense. In the past that was more often a Christian vs new atheist dynamic. And it wasn't like the atheists were all polite and respectful, there was plenty of insult ans mockery to be found.

Nowadays it's more of a political divide, and posters on opposite sides attack each other. Posters from both sides engage in all the behaviour you deplore. If it's not direct attacks, it's the implication that you're an immoral bigoted moron if you don't agree with the latest accusation leveled at Trump / current defense of whatever thing Trump has said or done.

Suggestions to change the atmosphere:

(1) Put your own house in order, including apologising for your past faults in this area.

(2) Call out bad posting behaviour whoever does it. Police your own side of the debate, not just the other side.

(3) Set a positive example by refusing to indulge. Always assume other posters are acting in good faith, are intellectually honest, and are capable of accepting the truth. Post with that in mind.

(4) Be willing to modify your positions if the data / arguments don't support them

(5) Exercise charity in interpreting Trump's actions. Present other possibilities than just 'Trump is eeevilll' in your posts. All sides of an argument. If you only 'call out' what is 100% unambiguously wrong, you will get people agreeing with you.

I'd be willing to join you in the above.
                                ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment