Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Divided Methodists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has always been the policy here, right from Tweb's inception, to not discuss the "other site".

In spite of the very few changes since the big crash, (and most of those changes were implemented by DeeDee, including the somewhat relaxing of the language restrictions), we still don't allow posting derogatorily about other sites.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      It has always been the policy here, right from Tweb's inception, to not discuss the "other site".

In spite of the very few changes since the big crash, (and most of those changes were implemented by DeeDee, including the somewhat relaxing of the language restrictions), we still don't allow posting derogatorily about other sites.
      WHAT other site?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        WHAT other site?
        I find it's always easiest to keep up with what we're not discussing.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
          I find it's always easiest to keep up with what we're not discussing.
          WHO? Discussing WHAT?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I legitimately have no idea what this "other site" is. Is it still around?

Comment

Fun* fact: since The Other Location is never mentioned by name here, right after I joined TWeb I joined that site as well, not knowing what it was. I don't think I ever posted there and may have only read a few threads. But still. I wish I had had a heads up. When I found out that was the site referred to as The Other Location, I stopped going there.

*Definition of "fun" may vary
              Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

If it makes you all feel better, I have no idea what the other site is either.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

And neither do I
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Me neither. Maybe mossrose will tell us.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      I'm sure Teallaura will give us her perspective from the inside once she sees this. My family attended a UMC church in the early-mid 70's, but I haven't had any contact with the denomination since.
                      I haven't been to conference in several years and I was sick so much last year that I'm very much out of the loop.

It's not affecting much that I do see - but it's early and I need to catch up.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Celebrian View Post
                        I wonder if this will split along the lines of how the Methodists and United Brethren joined? Probably too mixed at this point, but I know at least one Methodist church that left when United Brethren joined because they saw them as too liberal.
                        There were a lot of those, yes.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                          What's the biggest Methodist group in the US after the United Methodist Church? While I assume any of the churches that are breaking away will get together and form a new group, I figure at least some will find some already-existing Methodist group and join that, and I'm wondering what possibilities there are. I tried to find out what other Methodist groups there are in the US, but other than the African Methodist Episcopal Church (which seems to itself be becoming increasingly ambivalent on the issue of same-sex marriage from what I can tell), they all seem extremely small.
                          Wesleyans. If the property is not at issue, they will probably just leave - and congregants from remaining churches may simply join them.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                            I cannot fault them for wishing to keep the Church together and avoid a split. But after a while a split becomes so deep and so prolonged that there is no other real option. Then a split is more honest, than pretending all is one.
                            It's a bit more complicated than that - the UMC is episcopalian in structure - or it was.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              If it makes you all feel better, I have no idea what the other site is either.
                              I kinda sorta do, but don't really give a flyin' flip.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                It's a bit more complicated than that - the UMC is episcopalian in structure - or it was.
                                Our UMC is about to split wide open, I think.

Comment