Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 128

Thread: Divided Methodists

  1. #51
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,466
    Amen (Given)
    563
    Amen (Received)
    1857
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVel View Post
    TWeb has always been a site where the Christian posters push back hard against posters who post (what they see as) poor arguments or data-free nonsense. In the past that was more often a Christian vs new atheist dynamic. And it wasn't like the atheists were all polite and respectful, there was plenty of insult ans mockery to be found.


    Nowadays it's more of a political divide, and posters on opposite sides attack each other. Posters from both sides engage in all the behaviour you deplore. If it's not direct attacks, it's the implication that you're an immoral bigoted moron if you don't agree with the latest accusation leveled at Trump / current defense of whatever thing Trump has said or done.

    Suggestions to change the atmosphere:

    (1) Put your own house in order, including apologising for your past faults in this area.

    (2) Call out bad posting behaviour whoever does it. Police your own side of the debate, not just the other side.

    (3) Set a positive example by refusing to indulge. Always assume other posters are acting in good faith, are intellectually honest, and are capable of accepting the truth. Post with that in mind.

    (4) Be willing to modify your positions if the data / arguments don't support them

    (5) Exercise charity in interpreting Trump's actions. Present other possibilities than just 'Trump is eeevilll' in your posts. All sides of an argument. If you only 'call out' what is 100% unambiguously wrong, you will get people agreeing with you.


    I'd be willing to join you in the above.
    Sounds like a good list max. I'll continue to try to follow it.

    I'm not sure how to prove I'm following #5 though since I dont find a lot of room for charity there. But I'll try.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 02-08-2020 at 07:42 AM.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

  2. #52
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    60,553
    Amen (Given)
    13073
    Amen (Received)
    27642
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    ....So, no, no fruit there.
    On THAT, we agree.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  3. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
  4. #53
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    22,052
    Amen (Given)
    16640
    Amen (Received)
    10203
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Okay. So anything is acceptable as long as profanity, or references to profanity, is absent?

    Is "attacking Christians" acceptable?

    You do it every day.

    And we haven't banned you yet.


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  5. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  6. #54
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    60,553
    Amen (Given)
    13073
    Amen (Received)
    27642
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Is "attacking Christians" acceptable?
    That's a loaded question.

    If you're attacking a fellow Christian for their orthodox Christian beliefs, no, not acceptable.

    If you're attacking a position they hold because it's not biblical, or because they're a false teacher, or for other reasons, that's different.

    "Christian" has such a smooshy wishywashy definition these days. Anybody can claim to be "a Christian", but be advancing clearly non-Christian beliefs.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  7. Amen mossrose, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  8. #55
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,644
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That's a loaded question.

    If you're attacking a fellow Christian for their orthodox Christian beliefs, no, not acceptable.

    If you're attacking a position they hold because it's not biblical, or because they're a false teacher, or for other reasons, that's different.

    "Christian" has such a smooshy wishywashy definition these days. Anybody can claim to be "a Christian", but be advancing clearly non-Christian beliefs.
    The smooshy wishywashy definitions seem to prevail among Christian here, based on the things which prompt the questions and the veiled accusations of not being a Christian.

  9. #56
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    60,553
    Amen (Given)
    13073
    Amen (Received)
    27642
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    The smooshy wishywashy definitions seem to prevail among Christian here, based on the things which prompt the questions and the veiled accusations of not being a Christian.
    I'd disagree --- it's pretty much a universal thing -- I'm reluctant to declare somebody is NOT a Christian, but I often see people claim to be "Christians" who Paul would have a real hard accepting into fellowship.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  10. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
  11. #57
    radical strawberry
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Humanist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,927
    Amen (Given)
    546
    Amen (Received)
    1156
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Thought I would bump this up.

    What are the expections for civil discourse on this Christian site?
    Just by the way, while it's Christian-run, this is not a Christian site, and has received support over the years from folks of all faiths or none. Unlike a lot of Christian boards, this site let us heathens post.

    Standards change over time and with new ownership but this site was founded under free speech principles. All of the original owners and a lot of the rest of us came here after being banned from "The Other Location," a Christian site where the vitriol was allowed to flow freely, albeit only in one direction. Their patron saint and the owner's pastor was Bob Enyart.

    Try googling "nicer than God."

    The "Other" owner had a penchant for winning with the ban button. Two of the original owners here were "preterists," one sufficiently skilled at debate that she wasn't merely banned, but deleted. I personally was banned "for being a jerk" after replying to a churlish insult with a laconic but cutting riposte.

    That's what we left, and what this board was designed to prevent. So yeah, it's lightly moderated.

  12. Amen One Bad Pig amen'd this post.
  13. #58
    radical strawberry
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Humanist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,927
    Amen (Given)
    546
    Amen (Received)
    1156
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    He's not a hack, and I do enjoy the dry humor he uses.
    So we're not saying anything about the cookies. Gotcha. Mums the word.

  14. #59
    radical strawberry
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Humanist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,927
    Amen (Given)
    546
    Amen (Received)
    1156
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'd disagree --- it's pretty much a universal thing -- I'm reluctant to declare somebody is NOT a Christian, but I often see people claim to be "Christians" who Paul would have a real hard accepting into fellowship.
    Paul was both the first and the most successful church splitter, a braggart, a liar, and an opportunist repeatedly hoist by his own petard. The manky Scot, prior to his apostasy, once mentioned that a lot of folks credit Paul with his own religion, Paulianity.

    I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel — which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse!

    Clearly, folks were claiming new revelations from angels that ran contrary to the new revelations from angels bestowed on their founder. Color me less than astonished.

    Irony is a dish best served by the unwitting.

  15. #60
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SoCal!!!
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,196
    Amen (Given)
    329
    Amen (Received)
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    Paul was both the first and the most successful church splitter, a braggart, a liar, and an opportunist repeatedly hoist by his own petard. The manky Scot, prior to his apostasy, once mentioned that a lot of folks credit Paul with his own religion, Paulianity.

    I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel — which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse!

    Clearly, folks were claiming new revelations from angels that ran contrary to the new revelations from angels bestowed on their founder. Color me less than astonished.

    Irony is a dish best served by the unwitting.
    If I understand you right, Paul was not supposed to protect the followers of Christ from wolves seeking to destroy the Christian movment.

    Your comment on Galatians is based on a misunderstanding of what was happening. This is forgivable at this point in time since most people have not understood the context correctly.

  16. Amen mossrose, Teallaura amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •