Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Divided Methodists

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    This ^^ was post 72, Jim's was post 70, and that sleight was in the o/p.

Back in the day, we'd have a full ballad to methodistic dismemberment from LGM by now.

With chorus.
    I miss LGM.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

2. Amen Teallaura, Chaotic Void, Juvenal amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Certainly he was declaiming against Judaizers. The question remains, was he right to do so? In support, we have Paul saying he was, based on communications with the spirit world, while railing against those looking to make purchases with the same currency. Stew for the wolf is stew for the shepherds.
    Well, no. Verses 18-19, while coming after verse 8, refer to a prior time. You're free to castigate verse 12 as "communications with the spirit world" (though one would imagine that in the system under discussion, Jesus - if erroneously taken as spirit, since he ascended bodily - would outrank every other spirit), but he did confer with the two most important leaders of the church before his little trip to Galatia, et al.
    Bonus points for "skeptical contrivance du jour," by the way. If you can't be right, the next best thing is to be wrong with style.
    I thought you'd like that.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

4. Amen Juvenal amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    iMaybe Jim's last name is Lamebrain, and Charles goes by the nickname of Chuckles. And maybe the common rhetorical devices used on Tweb, by Christians, is forthright and open. And maybe Christians do address the arguments made and not rely on forms of ad hom, sliding around the points made. And maybe those Christians who disagree are not real Christians, unable to present the true and unadulterated faith.

I addressed Juvenal, I didn't think his name calling was appropriate. He lists his faith as humanist, so I assume that he is not a Christian. If Juvenal does not adopt the faith, maybe he could adapt the appearances.
    Seems few actually addressed the post, it was the thread killer for over a month, until the thread, not the post, was resurrected in it full glory.

The post uses the word maybe. What on earth are the common rhetorical devices used, and by Christians?

Why did this thread languish? And what voice and tone was successful in bring it back to life?

I ain't explicitly and directly answering those questions, because it is called an "attack" and "dividing the Body of Christ", the ultimate taboo here.
    Last edited by simplicio; 02-16-2020 at 04:31 AM.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Seems few actually addressed the post, it was the thread killer for over a month, until the thread, not the post, was resurrected in it full glory.

The post uses the word maybe. What on earth are the common rhetorical devices used, and by Christians?

Why did this thread languish? And what voice and tone was successful in bring it back to life?

I ain't explicitly and directly answering those questions, because it is called an "attack" and "dividing the Body of Christ", the ultimate taboo here.
    Sparko? Rogue? You've fallen uncharacteristically silent! Considering how you both have tossed the term troll around,

One way to account for the silence is the idea that trolling, attacking Christians, dividing the Body is accepted, as long as it follows the political divide. I certainly fall on the wrong side of the political divide, but definitely not any religious divide, unless Trumpianity has become an accepted denomination with Christianity.

First floor is not dirt floor, Jim L is not lamebrain. But hey, who cares?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Oh noes! Troll reduced to talking to himself in desperate attempt to get bites! Oh, the huge manatee!

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Oh noes! Troll reduced to talking to himself in desperate attempt to get bites! Oh, the huge manatee!
    It seems that there are certain posts types which guarantee that the 'good' Christians are forced into silence.

It seems that those who toss out the word and accusation of troll are purposefully vague on just what trolling is and what constitutes trolling. Calling posters names is NOT called trolling and treated as acceptable.

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I could point out this thread was never meant to be a discussion about board decorum. Or I could point out that I responded to the post and didn't receive an answer. Or I could point out that you can see how staff members behave for yourself without the need to ask anyone else to spell it out for you.

But I think that's all beside the point.

The only thing you really need to take on board is the obvious that's true anywhere, anytime. Folks won't thank you for calling out their bad behavior. But if you do it with a bit of wit and style, without caring over much about how they respond, you'll fit in just fine.

Love the screen name by the way.

Nice touch.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It seems that there are certain posts types which guarantee that the 'good' Christians are forced into silence.

It seems that those who toss out the word and accusation of troll are purposefully vague on just what trolling is and what constitutes trolling. Calling posters names is NOT called trolling and treated as acceptable.
    ...but ham-fisted passive-aggressiveness is hunky-dory, amirite?

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Most scholars consider his reported admonition of Peter a face-saving fabulism. He brags about his lack of interaction with Jesus' principal disciples, yet later attempts to buy his way into the Jerusalem adherents' good graces ... and was spectacularly less than successful.
    What are the common (if any) scholarly views on exactly what the differences between Paul's views/teachings and those at Jerusalem were?

Was it simply that they wanted gentile Christians to be circumcised and Paul thought it unnecessary? Were they wanting gentile Christians to follow a variety of Jewish customs in addition to that? Or something else entirely? Is the "Jesus preached the Kingdom, Paul preached Jesus" view still common?

radical strawberry
    Faith
    Humanist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    What are the common (if any) scholarly views on exactly what the differences between Paul's views/teachings and those at Jerusalem were?

Was it simply that they wanted gentile Christians to be circumcised and Paul thought it unnecessary? Were they wanting gentile Christians to follow a variety of Jewish customs in addition to that? Or something else entirely? Is the "Jesus preached the Kingdom, Paul preached Jesus" view still common?
    Christianity began as a Jewish sect. It wasn't open to gentiles unless they converted. That was the norm. Paul's approach, welcoming non-Jews into Christianity, was a novelty that originated with Paul. It received enough pushback from the founders in Jerusalem that Paul felt the need to secure his position against the Judaizers in his letters.