Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Question about the Meaning of Christian Faith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the Meaning of Christian Faith

A few days ago I posted the following describing some beliefs that I hold which have given and continue to give me comfort. The nature of the belief I don't think really matters and would surely only complicate the question.
    I have slept better and been so much less stressed since I read that Twitter thread. I believe I trust in it for good reasons but it is also okay with me if I am, to an extent, choosing to believe because it provides me real world benefits.

I'm interested in perspectives on whether you feel what I wrote is consistent with the Christian meaning of faith.

Two parts of your question can be considered here.

What is the biblical concept of faith?

What does the gospel offer?

Concerning the meaning of 'faith' ...
    Faith essentially means trust. This is not trust in scripture. Scripture is a secondary aspect of the trust that will be described. Scripture conveys promises but cannot be the thing that fulfills promises. So, faith must be in a person. This person is God. A Christian comes to trust God when accepting the message of the gospel. Only God can fulfill messages. The corollary is that the resurrection must be true and the message of the gospel must be true.

The primary offering of the gospel is reconciliation with God. The sins of people are forgiven. A person who has not trusted God now comes into a place of trust. This often comes with observable changes in the behavior and may come with recognized joy.

I don't think this conforms to your expectation.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
      A few days ago I posted the following describing some beliefs that I hold which have given and continue to give me comfort. The nature of the belief I don't think really matters and would surely only complicate the question.
      I have slept better and been so much less stressed since I read that Twitter thread. I believe I trust in it for good reasons but it is also okay with me if I am, to an extent, choosing to believe because it provides me real world benefits.

I'm interested in perspectives on whether you feel what I wrote is consistent with the Christian meaning of faith.
      Just what do you mean by trusting in it for good reason?

I accept the truths of the faith for good reason, but few atheist would accept those reasons. Some accept ideas, for apparently good reasons, while others reject those reasons.

I don't think the utility of an idea is really a good measure, since I assume you are referring to something on moral or religious ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post

I view the perspective of the 'meaning of faith' in a broader perspective than just the Christian meaning of faith. 'Real world benefits should be more from the perspective of the universal, and not what one believes what provides 'one personally with real world benefits.'

From a personal perspectives many diverse conflicting beliefs can provide one with 'real personal benefits including atheism, or any one of the many different philosophical, and religious alternatives.
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-10-2020, 08:05 PM.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

There are two uses of "faith." The genuine Christian faith, Jude 1:3. And faith meaning: belief in what is true. <evidence> A third is to trust.
          Last edited by 37818; 01-11-2020, 07:13 PM.
          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X