Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ohmar, Lee, Kaine, announce war powers resolution to prevent war with Iran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
    Right, all of a sudden MM, the conservative political junky that he is, doesn't know anything about the outspoken ultra conservative 9 year Senator, Mike Lee.
    I know he got his nose out of joint when Trump didn't nominate him to the Supreme Court, but other than that, no, I don't know much about him.

Is there anything in particular you think I should know?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• And now for the punchline!

The House’s vote on a War Powers Resolution on Thursday to restrict the president’s ability to take military actions with regard to Iran does nothing of the sort.

Instead, it is a purely political vote that has no actual legal or legislative teeth behind it, and will never make it to the president’s desk even if the U.S. Senate also passes it because of the way House Democrat leadership under Speaker Nancy Pelosi structured the resolution.

The resolution, which Pelosi selected Rep. Elissa Slotkin (D-MI) to lead, is structured as what is called a “concurrent resolution” in the House or Senate.

By definition, a “concurrent resolution” is “generally employed to address the sentiments of both chambers, to deal with issues or matters affecting both houses, such as a concurrent budget resolution, or to create a temporary joint committee.”

“Concurrent resolutions are not submitted to the president and thus do not have the force of law,” the official definition continues.

In other words, the resolution as drafted by Slotkin, pushed by Pelosi, and which will probably pass the House of Representatives late Thursday afternoon does not have the force of law even if both Chambers of Congress pass it, because it will never be sent to the president for his signature either adopting it or vetoing it.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ent-president/

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        And now for the punchline!

The House’s vote on a War Powers Resolution on Thursday to restrict the president’s ability to take military actions with regard to Iran does nothing of the sort.

Instead, it is a purely political vote that has no actual legal or legislative teeth behind it, and will never make it to the president’s desk even if the U.S. Senate also passes it because of the way House Democrat leadership under Speaker Nancy Pelosi structured the resolution.

The resolution, which Pelosi selected Rep. Elissa Slotkin (D-MI) to lead, is structured as what is called a “concurrent resolution” in the House or Senate.

By definition, a “concurrent resolution” is “generally employed to address the sentiments of both chambers, to deal with issues or matters affecting both houses, such as a concurrent budget resolution, or to create a temporary joint committee.”

“Concurrent resolutions are not submitted to the president and thus do not have the force of law,” the official definition continues.

In other words, the resolution as drafted by Slotkin, pushed by Pelosi, and which will probably pass the House of Representatives late Thursday afternoon does not have the force of law even if both Chambers of Congress pass it, because it will never be sent to the president for his signature either adopting it or vetoing it.

But they're getting themselves on the record for future Republican ad campaigns.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          But they're getting themselves on the record for future Republican ad campaigns.
          Ilhan Omar giggling and sharing a joke with her colleagues as Shelia Jackson Lee talked about US casualties during the Iraq war is certain to make an ad or two.

Comment

• EGGcellent campaign video!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              And now for the punchline!

And you like the Idea of putting the power to start a war in the hands of the Executive.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Soleimani is joining a long list of bloody handed monsters revered by the left. He is being enshrined with the likes "Uncle Joe" Stalin (who Star still claims was a right winger ) and Mao. I'm old enough to remember all the leftists running about carrying the latter's Little Red Book and spouting quotes from it in response to virtually everything (the Beatles even mocked folks like that in one of their songs).
                00000000000000ab000-00aaae5.jpg

00000000000000ab000-00aaae4.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41984[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41985[/ATTACH]
                  It is interesting that so many will immortalize a person that would likely kill them or groups they like (last I checked, Iran was still executing gay people).
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• 00000000000000ab000-00aaae7.jpg

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41987[/ATTACH]
                      did something.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]42006[/ATTACH]

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          And you like the Idea of putting the power to start a war in the hands of the Executive.
                          Hammer explains why that power has always been vested in the Executive.
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Article 1, section 8 of the Constitution gives the power to declare war to Congress, not the President. Presidents, and to some extent Congress, have ignored this, though in 1973 Congress through the war powers resolution tried to wrest that ceded power back from the President, though, again to little effect. But the Constitution is clear, only Congress can declare war, the President, as Commander and Chief, can direct it once declared.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke
                              Yet we managed to fight a whole "war" in Korea with never a congressional declaration.
                              I didn't know that. Here are the official declarations of war from Congress, nothing past 1942.

I wonder what happened with the 14 senators who didn't vote in favor of the war with Japan.

On December 8, 1941, Congress approved a resolution declaring war with Japan. The Senate unanimously approved the resolution, 82-0.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                                Article 1, section 8 of the Constitution gives the power to declare war to Congress, not the President.
                                Right, and since we haven't declared war, and since the President authorized a limited combat operation well within his Constitutional authority as Commander in Chief, and since open hostilities have now ceased after less than a week, what's the problem? Even Nancy Pelosi has defended the president, saying that he has the authority to order military strikes without Congressional approval.

Of course that was back when Obama was president. She's singing a different tune today.

Comment