Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Americans are coming home to the GOP

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Yes, I can read Wiki, too. But Goldwater didn't win in a landslide, and in Alabama, the demographics were the opposite of your claim.

And the South remained solidly Democrat until the mid-Eighties.
    Might want to visit Alabama some time.

The south remained solidly Democrat, but the interests of the southern white voter had diverged from the emphasis of the Dem party. The Dems had betrayed the southern ideals of states' rights as supreme, it had fallen in with integration, it had a small but solid progressive wing. And it had the support of the NAACP. And black voters.

The Dems ran campaign ads in the south on Johnson's record on civil rights in the north. The Republican ran campaign ads on Johnson's civil rights record.......in the deep south.

Goldwater won by a landslide in Alabama, and especially in Mississippi. John Connelly predicted that the only states Goldwater would capture is Alabama and Mississippi. He forgot about South Carolina and Georgia. (I incorrectly wrote Arkansas, I should have checked wiki ).

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Cutesy version of 'Southern Democrats'. They started as Democrats, became Dixiecrats for a short while and went right back to being Democrats.

And frankly, this is annoying - if I were still a Democrat it would really tick me off. Rewriting history is a bad plan - truth has a nasty habit of coming out.

And seriously, most Southerners were never Dixiecrats - just dyed in the wool Democrats until the mid - Eighties.

Baloney - PP runs ad campaigns. Media glorifies it (did you not see that horrid clip from the golden globes?). And the left pushes an ever NOT subtle line that the only option for the predictable pregnancy when you convince kids they are supposed to lose their virginity in the backseat of a car while too drunk to legally fish is to have the child forcibly evicted with a shop vac and some tweezers used by the jet lagged loser that couldn't get a job as a real doctor.

Reality, there are a huge number of girls having their arms twisted by loser boyfriends and/or even bigger loser parents. California tried to make crisis pregnancy centers illegal - eliminating any possibility that the girl might be given real help to make a legitimate choice to let her baby live. Leftists say 'choice' but then fight tooth and nail to prevent real choice from being an option. They won't even allow the poor thing to later admit she made the wrong choice - and even obstruct mental health care for those dealing with the tragedy of that 'choice'.

In the dumpster lay the remains - what wasn't sold off like meat - of a human being who never got a choice. Most of them are black.

Bull Connor was a saint in comparison - total (expletive deleted) jackass though he was, he hasn't a fraction of the blood on his hands that the modern Democrats do.

Preach about racism when you (general) stop supporting the far greater evil of outright murder - mostly of blacks.
    Most southerners were never Dixiecrats because the Dixiecrats never attempted to organize a party system. It never had anyone on local ballots. It was over the issue of Dem support for civil rights, and would have moved its support to the Republicans if they had fielded a candidate which had stood firm on segregation. Dewey and Eisenhower did not.

Truth may have a habit of coming out, but there always will be people reject the truth, preferring the more comfortable illusions.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Might want to visit Alabama some time.
    No need to do anything foolish

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't think in Alabama is racist, it never has been. George Wallace stated that he was not a racist, and numerous evangelicals noted that Wallace was not racist. He just thought desegregation violated the subsidiarity prerogative of the local electorate. Other than that, Wallace would have gladly removed the barriers to integration. He made a stand for fiscal responsibility when he proposed to turn away federal HEW funds.

The poor white Alabamans, laboring under the heavy yoke of Democratic Party tyranny, forced to accept all those racial policies against their will. Only when they voted Republican could they truly say "Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty we are free at last"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    All sarcasm aside, you do know that historians and biographers tend to believe that Wallace was not racist but did what he thought was necessary to hold onto power.

And I'm sure that it is just a coincidence that at the same time that the Democrats lost their stranglehold on the South that the region began to prosper economically.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    All sarcasm aside, you do know that historians and biographers tend to believe that Wallace was not racist but did what he thought was necessary to hold onto power.

And I'm sure that it is just a coincidence that at the same time that the Democrats lost their stranglehold on the South that the region began to prosper economically.
    But any historian with an ounce of integrity? Maybe an historian who is a neo Confederate intellectual proponent of Lost Cause mythology. There are even historian who see the NRA's founding as protection of black freedmen fro Klan terrorism.

The only way Wallace was not racist is if segregation, codified into law, is not racist, if denial of black citizens the right to vote is not racist, if separate (but "equal") health care is not racist.

Any links? I think it goes without saying that Wallace was simcere when he made his famous "Segregation forever".

Edit to add: I am open to the possibility hat his later repentance was genuine, but I do have doubts.
    Last edited by simplicio; 01-13-2020 at 05:39 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    He thinks the South started voting Republican in the 1960's - and yes, I've explained otherwise, both patiently and not at all patiently. He wants desperately to believe the True Democrats TM were never the racist dogs he knows darn well they were... and are. Somehow, if the South was always Republican (history screams otherwise) then his beloved Democrats were never racists and all is right with the world.

He's not this nuts when Trump isn't president - thus far, spiking his coffee with lithium isn't helping...
    Just about all the old codgers I know in Texas were Democrats when they were younger, and declare "the party left me".
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

8. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Just about all the old codgers I know in Texas were Democrats when they were younger, and declare "the party left me".
    Did those old dodgers agree with the program of federally mandated integration, or see it as an over reach of authority?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Did those old dodgers agree with the program of federally mandated integration, or see it as an over reach of authority?
    I actually only knew one old codger who was adamant about blacks and whites being separate and NOT equal, and he was pretty well known as a nut.

I'm trying to think of any conversation where there was actually a debate about integration, because I think most of the people I knew just assumed it was going to happen.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

11. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I actually only knew one old codger who was adamant about blacks and whites being separate and NOT equal, and he was pretty well known as a nut.

I'm trying to think of any conversation where there was actually a debate about integration, because I think most of the people I knew just assumed it was going to happen.
    Seems no one actually supported segregation. I wonder how it just happened?

But we do have an answer, the racist Democrats imposed on the hapless voters of those states.