Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Black Americans are coming home to the GOP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    As for the actual OP, my work is maybe 80-85% black and I definitely haven't seen it as of yet, but I tend to keep to myself anyway...
    People seem to be greatly underestimating the political stigma around Trump, which is why I believe polls about Trump might be wrong. This stigma would be even greater in the black community. You don't openly admit you support such a racist nazi, especially if you're black.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Black Americans are coming home to the GOP

Anecdotally, I'm seeing this in my own area. While my Church congregation pretty well mirrors ethnicity in the community in general, where I do my "missions" stuff in town - I'm clearly a minority.

I would say that, on average, the people I work with (both ministerial, social services, clients, etc) would be about 80-85% black. Don't know why that is, but it is.

Some of the blacks who used to be very anti-Trump are not so much anymore.
      Some of the blacks who didn't used to talk about politics are a little more vocal now, and critical of the Democrats.
      Some of the blacks who didn't used to talk about politics are actually speaking well of Trump and the economy.

“‘Coming Home’ contains truths about the relationship between African-Americans and Donald Trump that will not be reported by the media. Vernon Robinson and Bruce Eberle have broken new ground and explain how this relationship is key to President Trump’s reelection.” — Ken Blackwell, former Ohio secretary of state

What do Kay Coles James, Ben Carson, Star Parker, Candace Owens, Ken Blackwell, Diamond and Silk, and Alveda King have in common?

They are bold, compassionate leaders who believe that every person is created equal by God himself. They understand that every human life has infinite value and limitless potential. They have suffered from some sort of discrimination — but are not bitter. Instead, they seek reconciliation, believe in redemption, and work to advance a more just society. They know that hard work, economic freedom, the preservation of the traditional family, and reducing government control are the keys to success.

And they are black Americans who support the policies of President Trump.
      Wow, when did this happen? According to a 2018 pew research poll only 8% of blacks identified with the republican party in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Back in the late 50s (there were Civil Rights bills passed then as well) through the 60s you would be very hard pressed to find a Southern Republican in national office. In effect you could fit all of them comfortably in a car.
        On a tandem bike, more like...
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          People seem to be greatly underestimating the political stigma around Trump, which is why I believe polls about Trump might be wrong. This stigma would be even greater in the black community. You don't openly admit you support such a racist nazi, especially if you're black.
          The polls are NOT reliable. It is interesting that micropolls show movement in the normally monolithic black vote but it's impossible to gauge. IF it's a real movement, it's likely large since it's showing up in weighted polls - but it could just as easily be an artifact.

Social media gives some indication that it's an actual movement, but the polls themselves aren't worth the pixels to display them.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            On a tandem bike, more like...
            The Republican Party withered away in the fifties, even in the traditionally Republican north counties. But in 1962, Senator Hill barely squeaked by over the Republican challenger. Hill was powerful and a long serving politician. Hill was a kingpin in Alabama politics. I think I incorrectly said Hill was defeated earlier.

That tandem bike got awful big in just a few short years. And by 1964, Goldwater won by a landslide. Whites Alabamans voted Republican, black Alabamans did not. One major issue for Alabama voters was the federal Civil rights legislation.

One key issue in them 62 race for the senate was Hill's ineffectiveness in preventing federal trips to be used to,force integration against the states' democratically chosen policy. A key issue in the 64 presidential race was states rights to enforce segregation.

So much for the myth of Republicans as the party of civil rights. Civil rights divided the country, and divided each party

Comment

One obstacle to movement of otherwise conservative black Americans is the perceived undercurrent of racism within the party politics of Republicans.

Comment

Is rep King really outside the mainstream of Republicans or conservatives? (when did white nationalism become a bad thing?).

One the one hand he seems so far out there, yet each over the top comment draws a wide range of defense, and he gets reelected.

Has the Republican Party been successful in distancing themselves from King?

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                  This is a massive oversimplification to the point it's not really true. In the House, 61% of Democrats voted in favor of passing the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and 80% of Republicans voted for it. In the Senate, 69% of Democrats voted in favor, and 81% of Republicans. (then it went back to the House in which 63% of Democrats voted in favor and 80% of Republicans voted in favor) So while it is true there was more support for it among Republicans than Democrats, it is incorrect to imply the opposition was only from Democrats or that it was only Republicans that passed it.

This was really more of a regional vote than a partisan one, as representatives (Republican and Democrat) from the northern states overwhelmingly voted yes while representative (Republican and Democrat) from the southern states overwhelmingly voted no. There wasn't a single Southern Republican in the House or Senate that voted yes.
                  I should have said that most of the opposition came from Democrats instead of making it a blanket statement which would be incorrect. Mea Culpa.

Anyhow I'm going to repost something from awhile back in order to set the record straight before the historical revisionism leads us too far astray.
                  You do realize that the Dixiecrats were Democrats not Republicans don't you? They weren't Dixiecans. And most returned to the Democratic Party and remained Democrats their entire lives with a few exceptions.

It was the Democrats that led the record Senate filibuster in opposition to the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Included among the organizers were several prominent and well-known liberal Democrat standard-bearers including Robert Byrd (Senate Majority Leader, President pro tempore of the Senate[1] and former kleagle -- recruiter -- for the KKK who was still publicly using the n-word on national TV as late as 2001), J. William Fulbright (Arkansas Senator and mentor of Bill Clinton), Al Gore Sr. (Tennessee Senator and father of Al Gore Jr. who has been known to lie about his father’s vote[2]), Sam Ervin (North Carolina Senator of the Watergate hearings fame) and Richard Russell (Georgia Senator and another President pro tempore). A total of 21 Democrat Senators opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The party was torn in half over the issue, with a full 40% of House Democrats voting against it.

OTOH, the Republicans backed the Civil Rights legislation. For example, 82% of Republicans in the Senate and 79% in the House voted for the Civil Rights Act. Similar trends occurred with the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which was supported by 82% of the Republicans in the House, and by 94% of Senate Republicans!

Concerning the Voting Rights Act the same Democrat standard-bearers took their normal racist stands, this time with Senator Fulbright leading the opposition effort. It took the hard work of Senate Minority Leader Everett Dirksen and Republican Whip Thomas Kuchel to pass the Civil Rights Act (Dirksen was presented a civil rights accomplishment award for the year by the head of the NAACP in recognition of his efforts). Dirksen was also responsible for breaking the Democrat filibuster of the 1957 Civil Rights Act that was signed by Republican President Dwight Eisenhower. The fact is that if it weren’t for the Republican’s overwhelming support, all of these measures would have been defeated.

In fact, FWIU, of 26 major civil rights votes from 1933 through the 1960’s civil rights era shows that Republicans favored civil rights in approximately 96% of the votes (whereas the Democrats opposed them in 80% of the votes).

1. Third in the line of succession to the presidency behind the Vice President and Speaker of the House

2. In a speech on civil rights Al Gore claimed that,
                  "My commitment to civil rights is a deeply personal one. I watched my father when he was, a U.S. Senator from Tennessee, take courageous stands for civil rights. He opposed the poll tax in the ‘40s, and supported civil rights in the ‘50s, he supported voting rights in 1963, and was one of two Southern Senators to refuse to sign the hateful Southern Manifesto opposing integration in our schools. He lost his Senate seat because his [sic] stands.”

Apparently, Al Gore’s memory is a bit fuzzy. His father’s civil rights record is a tad less glorious than Al relates. Al Gore Sr. voted AGAINST the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Al Gore Sr. participated in a 74-day filibuster to delay and weaken the legislation. Al Gore Sr. proposed an amendment to the Civil Rights Act that would have kept federal funds flowing to schools that defied court desegregation orders. The measure was defeated by a vote of 74 to 25 with only one Republican voted for it.

The fact is the party that led opposition to Civil Rights legislation was the Democrats. Sure there were some Republicans but they were pretty much on the sidelines.

And as Lyndon Johnson (who is now held up as some sort of patron of Civil Rights but actually vehemently opposed such legislation) so delicately put it to two governors on Air Force One after passage of the Civil Rights Act: "I'll have those [n-word] voting Democratic for the next 200 years." LBJ was likely our most racist president since fellow Democrat Woodrow Wilson.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                    The Republican Party withered away in the fifties, even in the traditionally Republican north counties. But in 1962, Senator Hill barely squeaked by over the Republican challenger. Hill was powerful and a long serving politician. Hill was a kingpin in Alabama politics. I think I incorrectly said Hill was defeated earlier.

That tandem bike got awful big in just a few short years. And by 1964, Goldwater won by a landslide. Whites Alabamans voted Republican, black Alabamans did not. One major issue for Alabama voters was the federal Civil rights legislation.

One key issue in them 62 race for the senate was Hill's ineffectiveness in preventing federal trips to be used to,force integration against the states' democratically chosen policy. A key issue in the 64 presidential race was states rights to enforce segregation.

So much for the myth of Republicans as the party of civil rights. Civil rights divided the country, and divided each party
                    Goldwater did what?! He only won six states - and while he took 69% in Alabama, the areas he lost or performed poorly in are overwhelmingly white while he does much better in areas with large black populations (voter issues may well be at play here).

This doesn't refute the point - Republicans wouldn't consistently win in the South for another two decades.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I should have said that most of the opposition came from Democrats instead of making it a blanket statement which would be incorrect. Mea Culpa.

Anyhow I'm going to repost something from awhile back in order to set the record straight before the historical revisionism leads us too far astray.

The fact is the party that led opposition to Civil Rights legislation was the Democrats. Sure there were some Republicans but they were pretty much on the sidelines.

And as Lyndon Johnson (who is now held up as some sort of patron of Civil Rights but actually vehemently opposed such legislation) so delicately put it to two governors on Air Force One after passage of the Civil Rights Act: "I'll have those [n-word] voting Democratic for the next 200 years." LBJ was likely our most racist president since fellow Democrat Woodrow Wilson.
                      Reading parts of the new LBJ biography book series should be enough to convince anyone that LBJ was one of the most racist, sexist, rudest people to sit in the White House. For some reason, democrats don’t want to talk about it...
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                        Reading parts of the new LBJ biography book series should be enough to convince anyone that LBJ was one of the most racist, sexist, rudest people to sit in the White House. For some reason, democrats don’t want to talk about it...
                        At the risk of getting Chuck scurrying in here squeaking and squealing about "whataboutism" when you compare what Trump said in the Access Hollywood tape to the things Johnson repeatedly did it pales into near insignificance. Women staffers were repeatedly warned not to enter any elevator with him unless they wanted to be physically assaulted.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                          Is rep King really outside the mainstream of Republicans or conservatives? (when did white nationalism become a bad thing?).

One the one hand he seems so far out there, yet each over the top comment draws a wide range of defense, and he gets reelected.

Has the Republican Party been successful in distancing themselves from King?
                          House Republican leaders almost immediately yanked Steve King from the Judiciary and Agriculture Committees whereas House Democrats appointed (rewarded?) Ilhan Omar as a member of the powerful House Committee on Foreign Affairs after some of her remarks.

Comment

The Dixie-crats, as a result of the republicans "southern strategy" were simply the republicans of today. Johnson, like everyone that grows up in a racist society has racism in them, but unlike the republican party of today Johnson was a champion of civil rights regardless of any inherent racism. Fact is that today, the republicans, mostly for political reasons, have adopted if you will, the racist perspective of the Dixie-crats.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              The Dixie-crats, as a result of the republicans "southern strategy" were simply the republicans of today. Johnson, like everyone that grows up in a racist society has racism in them, but unlike the republican party of today Johnson was a champion of civil rights regardless of any inherent racism. Fact is that today, the republicans, mostly for political reasons, have adopted if you will, the racist perspective of the Dixie-crats.
                              Fact-free rants seem to be the soup du jour for the left these days.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                The Dixiecrats were Democrats. Arguably far less prejudiced than their modern Democrat counterparts - at least their policies didn't directly result in the deaths of millions of black babies.

Better the jackass that tells you to your face that he hates your guts (oddly rare in the actual Dixiecrats) than the slimebag that convinces you to kill your own child.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment