Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tehranís overrated military strategist made many political miscalculations

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Tehranís overrated military strategist made many political miscalculations

Tehranís overrated military strategist made many political miscalculations

A little background on Suleimani.

One day they may name a street after President Donald Trump in Tehran. Why? Because Trump just ordered the assassination of possibly the dumbest man in Iran and the most overrated strategist in the Middle East: Maj Gen Qassem Suleimani.

Think of the miscalculations this guy made. In 2015, the US and the major European powers agreed to lift virtually all their sanctions on Iran, many dating back to 1979, in return for Iran halting its nuclear weapons programme for a mere 15 years but still maintaining the right to have a peaceful nuclear programme. It was a great deal for Iran. Itís economy grew by over 12 per cent the next year. And what did Suleimani do with that windfall?

He and Iranís supreme leader launched an aggressive regional imperial project that made Iran and its proxies the de facto controlling power in Beirut, Damascus, Baghdad and Sanaa. This freaked out US allies in the Sunni Arab world and Israel, and they prevailed on the Trump administration to respond by tearing up the nuclear deal and imposing oil sanctions on Iran that have now shrunk the Iranian economy by almost 10 per cent and sent unemployment to more that 16 per cent.

All that for the pleasure of saying that Tehran can call the shots in Beirut, Damascus, Baghdad and Sanaa. What exactly was second prize?

By severely depriving the Tehran regime of funds, the ayatollahs had to raise gasoline prices at home, triggering massive domestic protests. That required a harsh crackdown by Iranís clerics against their own people that left thousands jailed and killed, further weakening the legitimacy of the regime.

Israeli intelligence

Then Mr ďMilitary GeniusĒ Suleimani decided that, having propped up the regime of President Bashar Assad in Syria and helping to kill 500,000 Syrians in the process, he would overreach again and try to put direct pressure on Israel. He would do this by trying to transfer precision-guided rockets from Iran to Iranian proxy forces in Lebanon and Syria.

"Neighbor, how long has it been since youíve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?Ē

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That reminds me. IF we do go to war with Iran, Israel will be right there, bombing the crap out of Iran and welcoming our troops and sealing the bond between our countries. Israel has been itching to retaliate against Iran for years and the US kept holding them back. There won't be any holding them back if there is an actual war between the US and Iran.

Of course this will tick off the democrats to no end.
    Last edited by Sparko; 01-07-2020 at 07:59 AM.

3. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    That reminds me. IF we do go to war with Iran, Israel will be right there, bombing the crap out of Iran and welcoming our troops and sealing the bond between our countries. Israel has been itching to retaliate against Iran for years and the US kept holding them back. There won't be any holding them back if there is an actual war between the US and Iran.

Of course this will tick of the democrats to no end.
    And, as I said elsewhere, there will be the standard PUBLIC OUTCRY of condemnation from a number of countries, along with the back channel (what can we do to help)
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since youíve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?Ē

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Ticking off 2020 swing voters is what I'd be more concerned about.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I hear there are no Wal Mart's in Iran... only...

Targets.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Only a lunatic would gleefully look forward to such a thing. You sound like youíre talking about a gang war or football match.

Christopher Hitchens regularly shamed his debate opponents by pointing out the elephant in the religious roomóapocalyptists (mainly Muslims, Jews, and Christians) looking forward to God-ordained grudge matches.

You are right, however. Mostly itís conservatives and Republicans who get off on this. I already see these yokelsí FB meme posts talking about kicking middle-eastern butt.
    Last edited by whag; 01-07-2020 at 08:44 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Ticking off 2020 swing voters is what I'd be more concerned about.
    I don't know what this will do to the election. It could go either way at this point.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And, as I said elsewhere, there will be the standard PUBLIC OUTCRY of condemnation from a number of countries, along with the back channel (what can we do to help)
    Gee sounds like a certain conflict in Iraq doesnít it?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't know what this will do to the election. It could go either way at this point.
    There's really no question how it will swing unfavorably against Trump when you look at the polls. Then when you consider his campaign promises and how that would be exploited by whichever leftist wackaloon the DNC nominates... it would be pretty brutal.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by whag View Post
    Gee sounds like a certain conflict in Iraq doesnít it?
    Not sure what point you're trying to make, because this is what that's all about. I was very much for the first Iraq war - I didn't think it was such a good idea to go all the way into Baghdad subsequently.