Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Tehran’s overrated military strategist made many political miscalculations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Not sure if this is true or not (it is based on someone's tweet of what Iran's Foreign Minister said)

But it if is, it is hilarious!

Iran threatens to expose western diplomats who took bribes to create the Iran Deal

H.J.Ansari Zarif’s senior advisor: “If Europeans stop trading with Iran and don’t put pressure on US then we will reveal which western politicians and how much money they had received during nuclear negotiations to make #IranDeal happen.”
    That would be interesting.#JCPOA

https://thepalmierireport.com/iran-t...the-iran-deal/
    Oh, I hope they do!
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      For a comparison, something like a million Iranians took to the streets back in November to protest the government of which Soleimani was such an important part (he appears to have been selected to be the next president). That's a lot of people risking a lot (something like 1500 were killed by the Iranian government and at least 7000 were imprisoned)....
      And it was Soleimani's 'diplomats' who did the killing and imprisoning -- of their own citizens.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        And it was Soleimani's 'diplomats' who did the killing and imprisoning -- of their own citizens.
        Yup. His forces are directly responsible for putting down protests and doing so violently. The 1500 murdered in November is just the latest round.

But everyone loves him so much.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Not sure if this is true or not (it is based on someone's tweet of what Iran's Foreign Minister said)

But it if is, it is hilarious!

Iran threatens to expose western diplomats who took bribes to create the Iran Deal

H.J.Ansari Zarif’s senior advisor: “If Europeans stop trading with Iran and don’t put pressure on US then we will reveal which western politicians and how much money they had received during nuclear negotiations to make #IranDeal happen.”
          That would be interesting.#JCPOA

https://thepalmierireport.com/iran-t...the-iran-deal/
          Care to wager that that this resulted in a series of frantic calls from the DNC to Tehran with the former whining that they shouldn't be punished because of what Trump did since they're both on the same side?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Care to wager that that this resulted in a series of frantic calls from the DNC to Tehran with the former whining that they shouldn't be punished because of what Trump did since they're both on the same side?
            I am pretty sure it is fake. No link or anything, just some random twitter guy claiming it and some lazy right wing blogs reposting it as news. I just found it hilarious.

Comment

How has the attack affected popular sentiment in Iraq and Iran? Nothing is more galvanizing than an attack by a foreign power.

The bizarre series of convoluted reasoning by the administration is hardly reassuring. The Trump administration has hardly presented a clear vision, or clear reasoning for targeting Soleimani. Yes he was a bad actor, but did he really have a hand in 9-11, as VP Oleaginous Pence hinted.
              Last edited by simplicio; 01-10-2020, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                How has the attack affected popular sentiment in Iraq and Iran? Nothing is more galvanizing than an attack by a foreign power.

The bizarre series of convoluted reasoning by the administration is hardly reassuring. The Trump administration has hardly presented a clear vision, or clear reasoning for targeting Soleimani. Yes he was a bad actor, but did he really have a hand in 9-11, as VP Oleaginous Pence hinted.
                In spite of the MSM gushing over how "beloved" Soleimani was[1], the fact that he is responsible for butchering and jailing tens of thousands of his fellow countrymen[2] means that a significant portion of the country were celebrating his death.

1. It reminds me of the "pundit" who a few decades ago after Leonid Brezhnev died insisted that he was wildly popular because he would win re-election with over 95% of the vote.

2. 1500 killed and over 7000 jailed in just this past November alone.
                Last edited by rogue06; 01-10-2020, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Iran's response demonstrates that they, themselves, knew they had this coming. IF they really believed this General was totally innocent, and was there on a mission of peace, the "response" would not have been so tepid.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

A little background on Suleimani.

One day they may name a street after President Donald Trump in Tehran. Why? Because Trump just ordered the assassination of possibly the dumbest man in Iran and the most overrated strategist in the Middle East: Maj Gen Qassem Suleimani....
                    So here's a blush. I didn't know the Irish Times picked up Friedman in syndication and so, obviously, went on a tear looking to backup the obvious, that this was straight-up plagiarism of Friedman's Jan. 3 column, Trump Kills Iran’s Most Overrated Warrior. And so, after searching it out from a week's burial, armed to the teeth, I went back and followed the IT link ...
                    Suleimani squandered Tehran’s chances with focus on proxies and imperial frontiers
                    Sun, Jan 5, 2020, 17:56
                    Thomas Friedman

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                      So here's a blush. I didn't know the Irish Times picked up Friedman in syndication and so, obviously, went on a tear looking to backup the obvious, that this was straight-up plagiarism of Friedman's Jan. 3 column, Trump Kills Iran’s Most Overrated Warrior. And so, after searching it out from a week's burial, armed to the teeth, I went back and followed the IT link ...
                      Suleimani squandered Tehran’s chances with focus on proxies and imperial frontiers
                      Sun, Jan 5, 2020, 17:56
                      Thomas Friedman

Interesting.

Comment

In spite of the MSM gushing over how "beloved" Soleimani was[1], the fact that he is responsible for butchering and jailing tens of thousands of his fellow countrymen[2] means that a significant portion of the country were celebrating his death.

1. It reminds me of the "pundit" who a few decades ago after Leonid Brezhnev died insisted that he was wildly popular because he would win re-election with over 95% of the vote.

2. 1500 killed and over 7000 jailed in just this past November alone.
                        I am not making any claim that he was beloved, in fact, I think Iranians had a fear of him.

When a citizen is targeted by an adversarial nation, it is predictable that public sentiment, the public passions, will be stirred up. People do get outraged.

With foresight typical of this administration, Trump and cronies presented a confused series of shifting justifications form the attack. The Soleimani / 9-11 connection is just one example.

Instead of fostering the internal resistance to the regime, the attack may have served to squelch it.

Comment

I am not making any claim that he was beloved, in fact, I think Iranians had a fear of him.

When a citizen is targeted by an adversarial nation, it is predictable that public sentiment, the public passions, will be stirred up. People do get outraged.

With foresight typical of this administration, Trump and cronies presented a confused series of shifting justifications form the attack. The Soleimani / 9-11 connection is just one example.

Instead of fostering the internal resistance to the regime, the attack may have served to squelch it.
                          I think something to note here is that there are really two major factions in Iran -- those who believe in and support the theocracy, and those who believe they need to be a more modern democratic government.

Those who work in government positions will almost necessarily be pro-theocracy, because that's where their bread and butter comes from, and can turn out in the streets by the millions.
                          Those who have been demonstrating the past number of months aren't so loyal to the theocracy, because it's their guys who have killed and jailed demonstrators.

Comment

If I lived in a dictatorship and one of the government's most brutal enforcers was killed I really wouldn't care if it was done by the Russians, Chinese, North Koreans or Iranians. Instead I would offer up a silent prayer of thanks.

But then that's just me.

Comment

If I lived in a dictatorship and one of the government's most brutal enforcers was killed I really wouldn't care if it was done by the Russians, Chinese, North Koreans or Iranians. Instead I would offer up a silent prayer of thanks.

But then that's just me.
                              And you know that how?

It is common for each person to think they are different, would behave differently than others. But some things are universal, such as the surge in patriotic fever when an adversary attacks.

Would that silent and prayerful relief be accompanied by desires for a response which showed resolve of the nation?

Comment

And you know that how?
                                What part of "But then that's just me" are you having trouble comprehending? Do I need to type slower for you?

Comment