Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 114

Thread: Iran Fires Missiles at U.S. Forces in Iraq

  1. #1
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,012
    Amen (Given)
    1908
    Amen (Received)
    5405

    Iran Fires Missiles at U.S. Forces in Iraq

    Iran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles at two bases in Iraq where American troops are based, the Pentagon said Tuesday.

    The attack on the two bases, including Erbil in northern Iraq and the large Al Asad base in western Iraq, began about 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time, defense officials said.

    There was no initial indication of any casualties or assessment of damage, defense officials said. At the bases, personnel remained hunkered down until an all clear could be given that the attack had concluded. Neither base has Patriot anti-missile batteries, which are used to defend against ballistic missile attacks, military officials said.

    https://www.wsj.com/articles/stamped...s&page=1&pos=2

    Last edited by seer; 01-07-2020 at 06:16 PM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  2. #2
    tWebber Ronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    117
    Amen (Given)
    13
    Amen (Received)
    61
    One thing Iran can do that the US cannot: Overrun Iraq with troops.

    Iran allegedly has just short of a half million-man army. If they decided to invade Iraq, the US would be hard pressed to respond. That's not our game. The US is high tech, sparse and spread out in that region. We could batter Iran with missiles and bombs but we could not turn back an Iranian invasion using manpower.

  3. #3
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    10,264
    Amen (Given)
    1539
    Amen (Received)
    3403
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronson View Post
    One thing Iran can do that the US cannot: Overrun Iraq with troops.

    Iran allegedly has just short of a half million-man army. If they decided to invade Iraq, the US would be hard pressed to respond. That's not our game. The US is high tech, sparse and spread out in that region. We could batter Iran with missiles and bombs but we could not turn back an Iranian invasion using manpower.
    The US Armyís total active duty, reserve, and guard strength is a little over a million.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  4. #4
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    500
    Amen (Given)
    70
    Amen (Received)
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    The US Armyís total active duty, reserve, and guard strength is a little over a million.
    Yes, we can win a war with Iran, hands down, if we put our back into it. Why do more have to die, especially when you believe most of the ones killed will go straight to hell? And some of our boys and girls will go to hell as well? And more empty mouths and stomachs over here from coast to coast. And and and...

  5. #5
    tWebber Ronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    117
    Amen (Given)
    13
    Amen (Received)
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    The US Armyís total active duty, reserve, and guard strength is a little over a million.
    But where are they? Scattered around the globe or on bases at home. We couldn't get them there in time to stop a rout.

  6. #6
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    19,361
    Amen (Given)
    6061
    Amen (Received)
    7256
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    Yes, we can win a war with Iran, hands down, if we put our back into it. Why do more have to die, especially when you believe most of the ones killed will go straight to hell? And some of our boys and girls will go to hell as well? And more empty mouths and stomachs over here from coast to coast. And and and...
    On a personal note, if someone is physically assaulting my family, I will do whatever is necessary to stop them, up to and including lethal force, and I won't stop to inquire about the state of their soul first.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  7. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
  8. #7
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    10,264
    Amen (Given)
    1539
    Amen (Received)
    3403
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    Yes, we can win a war with Iran, hands down, if we put our back into it. Why do more have to die, especially when you believe most of the ones killed will go straight to hell? And some of our boys and girls will go to hell as well? And more empty mouths and stomachs over here from coast to coast. And and and...
    The reality is that Iran isnít going to start a full scale invasion. I was just pointing out that the US military is hardly small. The US has the 4th largest military, in the world.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  9. #8
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    10,264
    Amen (Given)
    1539
    Amen (Received)
    3403
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronson View Post
    But where are they? Scattered around the globe or on bases at home. We couldn't get them there in time to stop a rout.
    The US military prides itself on being a global deploying force. Moving that many would be the largest operation since WWII, but I really doubt Iran would go for a full scale invasion. It would bleed the country dry and likely end with the Iranian people putting their own leaders against the wall.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  10. #9
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    19,361
    Amen (Given)
    6061
    Amen (Received)
    7256
    It seems more people were killed in today's funeral procession than were killed in the missile attack.

    55 to 0
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  11. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
  12. #10
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    500
    Amen (Given)
    70
    Amen (Received)
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    On a personal note, if someone is physically assaulting my family, I will do whatever is necessary to stop them, up to and including lethal force, and I won't stop to inquire about the state of their soul first.
    Not much of a Mennonite, eh?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •