Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Iran Fires Missiles at U.S. Forces in Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    What was stupid?
    Unlike you, Sean is very antiwar and sees the danger of Trump provoking war by 1) choosing the least diplomatic option and 2) then promising via Twitter to destroy cultural sites “very important to Iran and Iranians.”

You seem to be glib about it all, whereas Sean can see how demonic it is for any leader to chest thump about something so grave. If that tweet doesn’t deeply disturb you, then Trump’s carnival barker black magic has gotten to you.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
      Unlike you, Sean is very antiwar
      Thanks for trying to explain, but I'm in NO WAY pro-war -- this whole thing concerns me greatly.

and sees the danger of Trump provoking war by 1) choosing the least diplomatic option and 2) then promising via Twitter to destroy cultural sites “very important to Iran and Iranians.”
      I think you're incorrectly assuming my position.

You seem to be glib about it all,
      I don't think I'm "glib" at all -- I just don't get hysterical about these things, and it appears the facts developing now are proving me correct --- both sides seem to be looking for the off-ramp, and I'm very grateful for that.

whereas Sean can see how demonic it is for any leader to chest thump about something so grave. If that tweet doesn’t deeply disturb you, then Trump’s carnival barker black magic has gotten to you.
      Sheeeeesh.... how many times do I have to say I wish somebody would hijack his twitter account? I simply don't get rattled by what he tweets - I care more about what he actually does.

But, sincerely, thanks for trying to explain.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
        Well, I don't know why you said something so stupid like that when it was obvious I wasn't talking about the scale of Iran's response.
        Change your underwear. You seem to have a vicious biting bug lurking in the ones you're wearing.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

... then promising via Twitter to destroy cultural sites “very important to Iran and Iranians.” ....
          For what it's worth - he already walked that back. He says dumb stuff.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah.

I mean, personally, I'm dubious about the whole idea of "rules" of war in the first place. But there was no need to intentionally say something like that. I'm fine with the fact that we roasted Soleimani, but that act in itself kind of unified Iranian public opinion in an unfavorable way. (I know your "missionary" may say otherwise.)
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Thanks for trying to explain, but I'm in NO WAY pro-war -- this whole thing concerns me greatly.

I think you're incorrectly assuming my position.

I don't think I'm "glib" at all -- I just don't get hysterical about these things, and it appears the facts developing now are proving me correct --- both sides seem to be looking for the off-ramp, and I'm very grateful for that.

Sheeeeesh.... how many times do I have to say I wish somebody would hijack his twitter account? I simply don't get rattled by what he tweets - I care more about what he actually does.

But, sincerely, thanks for trying to explain.
              Just because we express disgust at the rash things Trump says and does doesn’t translate to “hysteria.” Sorry my feelings aren’t cauterized yet and i am genuinely shocked by him, which doesn’t mean I’m deranged. IOW I don’t have TDS just because I recognize Trumps narcissism.

As for that Twitter account, go check how many likes it got. That fake bravado chest thumping fuels the fire that might get him elected again.

Comment

How did he walk it back?

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                  Yeah.

I mean, personally, I'm dubious about the whole idea of "rules" of war in the first place. But there was no need to intentionally say something like that. I'm fine with the fact that we roasted Soleimani, but that act in itself kind of unified Iranian public opinion in an unfavorable way. (I know your "missionary" may say otherwise.)
                  Iranians, like many in the middle east, tend to be rather... um... volatile... things go in waves. There will always be the very vocal "death to America" crowd, but there are a whole bunch of younger people who are tired of the whole theocratic control and the stinking economy.

Comment

How did he walk it back?
                    He acknowledged it was a bad idea, and made a comment that somebody told him it was illegal.

Trump walks back targeting cultural sites: "I like to obey the law"

"They are allowed to kill our people. They are allowed to maim our people, they're allowed to blow up everything that we have and there's nothing to stop them. We are, according to various laws, supposed to be very careful with their cultural heritage. And you know what if that's what the law is, I like to obey the law."

Comment

Just because we express disgust at the rash things Trump says and does doesn’t translate to “hysteria.”
                      I've always treated you with respect, whag - I'm really not wanting to get into a battle with you.

Sorry my feelings aren’t cauterized yet and i am genuinely shocked by him, which doesn’t mean I’m deranged. IOW I don’t have TDS just because I recognize Trumps narcissism.
                      My feelings are not "cauterized" --- I've just seen a bunch of this over a number of decades, and I tend to like to wait to see what actually happens, rather than wildly speculate. And, no, I'm not accusing you of wildly speculating.

As for that Twitter account, go check how many likes it got. That fake bravado chest thumping fuels the fire that might get him elected again.
                      I honestly don't care how many likes a tweet gets. I'm not swayed by that.

Comment

Rand Paul expresses the evil of Trump’s decision here:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/rand-p...ticles&via=rss

I’m seeing pro war posts on FB. Can you imagine being such an idiot that you want war for entertainment? Many in Trumps base literally think Trump is a tough guy and knows what he’s doing.

Comment

Rand Paul expresses the evil of Trump’s decision here:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/rand-p...ticles&via=rss

I’m seeing pro war posts on FB. Can you imagine being such an idiot that you want war for entertainment? Many in Trumps base literally think Trump is a tough guy and knows what he’s doing.
                          I hate war.
                          Eleanor hates war.
                          My dog Jake hates war.

Comment

I've always treated you with respect, whag - I'm really not wanting to get into a battle with you.

My feelings are not "cauterized" --- I've just seen a bunch of this over a number of decades, and I tend to like to wait to see what actually happens, rather than wildly speculate. And, no, I'm not accusing you of wildly speculating.

I honestly don't care how many likes a tweet gets. I'm not swayed by that.
                            Fair enough.

My point with Twitter is that it reflects that his base is easily swayed by buffoonery. That should disturb you. You say you have seen this for decades but you really haven’t. We’ve never had a president remotely like him.

Comment

Fair enough.
                              Gosh, thanks.

My point with Twitter is that it reflects that his base is easily swayed by buffoonery. That should disturb you.
                              To what end? What does that accomplish? Politicians on both sides say stupid things. Yeah, I know - Trump takes it to a whole new level.

You say you have seen this for decades but you really haven’t.
                              How do you know what "this" I'm talking about. The Iranian stuff goes way back to the Carter days.

We’ve never had a president remotely like him.
                              And I never said we have.

Seriously, whag - have I ever done battle with you? Have I ever been anything but respectful to you?

Comment

...2) then promising via Twitter to destroy cultural sites “very important to Iran and Iranians.”...
                                Now Lyin' Biden is claiming that Trump was threatening to bomb HOLY sites.

“Some of the things he’s done and said in the meantime have been close to ludicrous,” Biden said. “Including threatening to bomb holy sites…And I just pray to God as he goes through what’s happening, as we speak, that he’s listening to his military commanders for the first time because so far that has not been the case.”

Comment