Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 103

Thread: Ethical naivete?

  1. #1
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,048
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    82

    Ethical naivete?

    The New York Times (eeeek!) interviewed Mark Galli, the soon-to-be-former editor of Christianity Today (eeeek!). Galli https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartanntp

    Is morality today all that important? I remember the ministry of Chuck Colson, who emphasized worldview and ethical teaching. We have heard that Billy Graham voted for Trump, from which we are to infer that Billy would still be enamored of Trump's actions and ethics. But is that fair to Billy Graham?

    Do Christians follow the example of elites? "Christianity Yesterday"?

    Have Christians struck a Faustian bargain?

  2. #2
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Jedi
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,453
    Amen (Given)
    861
    Amen (Received)
    446
    Christians, leadership wise, struck a faustian bargain in the 80s, but the laity did with Trump and the only "derangement system" is that Christians still support someone who, by a pretty literal definition is the anti Christ. Not in a supernatural sense, of course, I'm an atheist, but there isn't any one individual I can think of in our government who so obviously and completely is the antithesis of the example of Jesus. An example I still kind of like, for the most part, but I doubt any of the Christians here will take any heed at my admonishment at their worship of a man that encapsulates the seven deadly sins

    Christianity is a religion that has stood for 2000 years. What are the odds that a philandering rapist and sexual predator who had 5 kids with 3 wives that he all cheated on whose been fined 27 million dollars for fraud *just while President* is who Christianity Today should be protecting?

    Billy Graham died in 2018, who cares? A Republican presidents going to get like 45% of the vote regardless, plenty of people thought he'd rise to the occassion. He hasn't. His moral failings have gotten worse over the course of his presidency leading to the summary execution of a foreign leader in such a manner that theres a good chance this turns into a shooting war.

    Take it from this atheist,

    Trump is one and he doesn't give a damn about any of you. He's a classic narcissist and, like, I dont even care that Pence gets to be President and he'd fit in right with all of you much better than Trump.

  3. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
  4. #3
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Jedi
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,453
    Amen (Given)
    861
    Amen (Received)
    446
    Remember Obama? The kinds of things that Fox would use as scandals?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...0M&app=desktop

    Man I wish we could be that nit picky about Trump but I have no idea whether he has marines do weird looking stuff because there's children in cages along the southern border, the government is trying to revoke TPS status for a bunch of people whose countries we blew to piece or that was destroyed by disaster and not to mention the trade war, or all the presidents campaign staff going to jail, or all the leaks about insane things happening in the west wing.

    Man, I would shoot someone to be able to just giggle at one of theses scandals like I used to be able to like when Fox got onto him for wearing a tan suit or no flag lapel or, oh yeah the best one, Dijon mustard. And thats Fox on Obama! You can't really say Fox was taking it easy on him and they actually went with that!

    Man, wouldn't it be nice if our leader *just* made marines hold umbrellas over his head when he was giving a speech and that it gets to dominate the news cycle for 3 whole days?

    I miss those days

  5. #4
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,048
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaecp View Post
    Remember Obama? The kinds of things that Fox would use as scandals?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...0M&app=desktop

    Man I wish we could be that nit picky about Trump but I have no idea whether he has marines do weird looking stuff because there's children in cages along the southern border, the government is trying to revoke TPS status for a bunch of people whose countries we blew to piece or that was destroyed by disaster and not to mention the trade war, or all the presidents campaign staff going to jail, or all the leaks about insane things happening in the west wing.

    Man, I would shoot someone to be able to just giggle at one of theses scandals like I used to be able to like when Fox got onto him for wearing a tan suit or no flag lapel or, oh yeah the best one, Dijon mustard. And thats Fox on Obama! You can't really say Fox was taking it easy on him and they actually went with that!

    Man, wouldn't it be nice if our leader *just* made marines hold umbrellas over his head when he was giving a speech and that it gets to dominate the news cycle for 3 whole days?

    I miss those days
    Effete liberals use Dijon mustard, eat French fries, and sip Bordeaux wine. Red blooded American men don't idolize the French.

    We just salute North Koreans.

  6. Amen Jaecp amen'd this post.
  7. #5
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Jedi
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,453
    Amen (Given)
    861
    Amen (Received)
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Effete liberals use Dijon mustard, eat French fries, and sip Bordeaux wine. Red blooded American men don't idolize the French.

    We just salute North Koreans.
    Yeah, and knowing how much trumps trips cost hearing the numbers quoted in that link are just hilariously low

    Gotta remember to not wear a shirt because only dude with pecs get to run a country

  8. #6
    tWebber firstfloor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    invalid value
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,758
    Amen (Given)
    23
    Amen (Received)
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    The New York Times (eeeek!) interviewed Mark Galli, the soon-to-be-former editor of Christianity Today (eeeek!). Galli https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartanntp

    Is morality today all that important? I remember the ministry of Chuck Colson, who emphasized worldview and ethical teaching. We have heard that Billy Graham voted for Trump, from which we are to infer that Billy would still be enamored of Trump's actions and ethics. But is that fair to Billy Graham?

    Do Christians follow the example of elites? "Christianity Yesterday"?

    Have Christians struck a Faustian bargain?
    Those who are careless of their ethical standards, are not Christians. They may be baptised and go regularly to church, but they do not follow The Lord and they have been forgotten by Him.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

  9. #7
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,048
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    82
    Moral impeccability os a requirement to be a Christian? Usually that argument comes from a Christian!

    I have to ask, do atheist see any need for moral decency? Does one lose his atheist card for moral failings?

  10. #8
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    60,424
    Amen (Given)
    13032
    Amen (Received)
    27575
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    The New York Times (eeeek!) interviewed Mark Galli, the soon-to-be-former editor of Christianity Today (eeeek!). Galli https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartanntp

    Is morality today all that important? I remember the ministry of Chuck Colson, who emphasized worldview and ethical teaching. We have heard that Billy Graham voted for Trump, from which we are to infer that Billy would still be enamored of Trump's actions and ethics. But is that fair to Billy Graham?

    Do Christians follow the example of elites? "Christianity Yesterday"?

    Have Christians struck a Faustian bargain?
    That bolded part --- I don't think BG was ever "enamored of Trump's actions and ethics" - I think that's an unfair view of BG's support for Trump. I would think BG saw Trump's usefulness in SPITE of his "actions and ethics".
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  11. Amen MaxVel, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
  12. #9
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    60,424
    Amen (Given)
    13032
    Amen (Received)
    27575
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Moral impeccability os a requirement to be a Christian? Usually that argument comes from a Christian!
    Morality should always be a goal to which Christians strive and grow.

    I have to ask, do atheist see any need for moral decency? Does one lose his atheist card for moral failings?
    My best friend's dad was an atheist, and one of the most "moral and decent" men I've ever known. He simply wasn't at war with God like some atheists are.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  13. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
  14. #10
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,048
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That bolded part --- I don't think BG was ever "enamored of Trump's actions and ethics" - I think that's an unfair view of BG's support for Trump. I would think BG saw Trump's usefulness in SPITE of his "actions and ethics".
    I meant it as approval of Trump, which Franklin Graham seems to have meant when he said that his father voted for Trump.

    Galli acknowledged the difficult choice faced in Nov 2016. But he also recognized that does not account for the subsequent defenses and arguments made since then.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •