Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Republican Party leader in Delaware blames Jews for Trump’s impeachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...extensive.html

https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/...tive-movement/

While I don't see that Trump actively cultivated support, as the NR implies, but I think it accurate that Trump's unwillingness to distance himself until he is cornered is telling.
    Slate and NR are hardly unbiased sources.
    But Trump is one individual, while conservatism is a collective of sorts. Has the conservative movement tried to,distance itself from the extreme right? I don't think so, as the NR article points out.

The conservative movement has a lot of Christians, so it could be asked if those objectionable views really objectionable to many Christian conservatives?
    I'd wager that most Christian conservatives are unaware of the (beliefs of the) extreme right; you're smearing with a rather broad brush here, IMO. I also don't exactly see the left distancing itself from the extreme left, either. What should we make of that?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Let's take a look at some of the ideas in the controversial Facebook post:

-"Jew in make only"

-going against the Lord's will for opposing Trump

-as in themtimes of the Old Testament
      You're aware that Protestants rather tend to interpret the Bible for themselves, yes?
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...extensive.html

https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/...tive-movement/

While I don't see that Trump actively cultivated support, as the NR implies, but I think it accurate that Trump's unwillingness to distance himself until he is cornered is telling.

But Trump is one individual, while conservatism is a collective of sorts. Has the conservative movement tried to,distance itself from the extreme right? I don't think so, as the NR article points out.

The conservative movement has a lot of Christians, so it could be asked if those objectionable views really objectionable to many Christian conservatives?
        unfortunately from what I've observed, many of them are not. This is coming from observing face book posts of friends from conservative churches we have attended in the past.

Most would not be anti-semitic, but the 'Trump is God's man' is rampant, and the idea people opposed to Trump are opposing God is also not uncommon. Other ideas (gun control views, climate change, immigration issues) also tend to align with far right conservatism.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          From the linked article in the OP:

Delaware GOP chairwoman Jane Brady criticized Jordan’s comments.

“Neither I nor the Delaware Republican Party, which I represent, condone any statements that demean or show disrespect to others,” she said in a statement on Thursday.

“The remarks made by Nelly Jordan, who was elected to her post by the Sussex County GOP Executive Committee, were offensive, hurtful and anti-Semitic. The process is different for Jordan because she was elected into her post and not appointed, unlike Rowe who was appointed to his position. Nelly will have to make a choice of either resigning or going through a process to seek her removal.”
          Good to hear that is the reaction.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Slate and NR are hardly unbiased sources.

I'd wager that most Christian conservatives are unaware of the (beliefs of the) extreme right; you're smearing with a rather broad brush here, IMO. I also don't exactly see the left distancing itself from the extreme left, either. What should we make of that?
            I think after the Unite the Right pretty much killed the ignorance excuse. David Duke is a household name.

National Review is a conservative magazine, pretty much unpolluted by the liberal mainstream media.

I think it is informative that some on the left have pretty much stayed in top of leftist extremism, spoken out unequivocally. By speaking out, they set themselves up to appear as centrists at a later point. And those that have not have lost the opportunity to separate themselves later on from the ideas.

We expect our leaders to lead.

I take it that you did not read either article. Slate is not noted for its conservatism. But NR is. And it had some good points, which is why I linked to it.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              You're aware that Protestants rather tend to interpret the Bible for themselves, yes?
              And I am also aware that there are several "schools of thought" within Protestantism. And some Protestant do accept the controversial ideas in the controversial Facebook post. Though few would dare to connect them in that way.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                I dont know where you get these rewrites of history...
                Nice try, but you have a big problem with honesty. You can double check the quotes and timelines for yourself. If you're going to accuse me of rewriting history then I expect you to be able to back it up.

In fact, Donald Trump has consistently denounced David Duke for decades.

And then during the midst of the 2015 presidential campaign, he explicitly denounced him multiple times over a period of several days, as I showed in my previous post.

Your claim that Trump has ever been hesitant or cagey about denouncing David Duke is demonstrably false. Own it.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Nice try, but you have a big problem with honesty. You can double check the quotes and timelines for yourself. If you're going to accuse me of rewriting history then I expect you to be able to back it up.

In fact, Donald Trump has consistently denounced David Duke for decades.

And then during the midst of the 2015 presidential campaign, he explicitly denounced him multiple times over a period of several days, as I showed in my previous post.

Your claim that Trump has ever been hesitant or cagey about denouncing David Duke is demonstrably false. Own it.
                  Wow. You might want to get your memory loss checked out.

During this controversy and 4(FOUR) days after Duke announced his endorsement of Trump, Donald said this in a Tapper interview:

Source: donald trump

"Well, just so you understand, I don't know anything about David Duke. okay? don't know anything about what you're even talking about with white supremacy or white supremacists. So, I don't know.

"I don't know, did he endorse me or what's going on, because, you know, I know nothing about David Duke. I know nothing about white supremacists. And so you're asking me a question that I'm supposed to be talking about people that I know nothing about

© Copyright Original Source

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...about-former-/

All your quotes do is make it all the more damning in terms of Trump's refusal to denounce the endorsement and how he pretended not to know who Duke was, or what white supremacy was.

Note that Trump said this 2 days after he finally got around to denouncing dukes endorsement! So he waits 2 days to denounce it, then 'forgets' who he is or even what white supremacy is 2 days after that?

It is just absolute ignorance for anyone to buy into the tripe you are trying to peddle to cover for what Trump is and what he has done.
                  Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-09-2020, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    Wow. You might want to get your memory loss checked out.

During this controversy and 4(FOUR) days after Duke announced his endorsement of Trump, Donald said this in a Tapper interview:

Source: donald trump

"Well, just so you understand, I don't know anything about David Duke. okay? don't know anything about what you're even talking about with white supremacy or white supremacists. So, I don't know.

"I don't know, did he endorse me or what's going on, because, you know, I know nothing about David Duke. I know nothing about white supremacists. And so you're asking me a question that I'm supposed to be talking about people that I know nothing about

© Copyright Original Source

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...about-former-/

All your quotes do is make it all the more damning in terms of Trump's refusal to denounce the endorsement and how he pretended not to know who Duke was, or what white supremacy was.

It is just absolute ignorance for anyone to buy into the tripe you are trying to peddle to cover for what Trump is and what he has done.
                    Yes, the Tapper interview was addressed in my previous post. Trump says he had a faulty earpiece and couldn't clearly hear the questions and was answering the best he could. The CNN interview was on the evening of February 28. On the morning of February 29, Trump was on the Today Show explaining his inability to hear the questions and said, "I disavowed David Duke. And I disavowed him the day before at a major news conference."

Even Politifact gets this one right:

We found Trump denounced Duke years before his interview with Tapper.

In 1991, CNN’s Larry King asked Trump what Duke’s success with white voters in a failed bid for the Louisiana governorship represented.

Trump replied: "I hate seeing what it represents, but I guess it just shows there's a lot of hostility in this country. There's a tremendous amount of hostility in the United States."

In 2000, Trump declined to run a Reform Party presidential bid in part because the party attracted Duke’s support. Trump also called Duke "a bigot, a racist, a problem."

During his 2016 bid, Trump disavowed Duke, but it was not as strongly worded as some of his earlier rebukes.

In 2015, when asked about a quasi-endorsement by Duke, Trump replied that he wouldn’t want his endorsement. Asked if he would repudiate Duke, he replied: "Sure, I would do that, if it made you feel better. I don’t know anything about him. Somebody told me yesterday, whoever he is, he did endorse me. Actually I don’t think it was an endorsement. He said I was absolutely the best of all of the candidates."

In 2016, when asked about Duke’s endorsement of him, Trump said he wasn’t aware of it.

"I didn’t even know he endorsed me," he said. "David Duke endorsed me? Okay, all right. I disavow, okay?"

Sometimes Trump sounded exasperated by the question.

"I totally disavow the Klu Klux Klan," he said in a debate. "I totally disavow David Duke. I’ve been doing it now for two weeks, ... you’re probably about the 18th person that’s asked me the question."

Trump didn’t condemn Duke when asked about him in an interview with Tapper on CNN in 2016. But decades before, he had clearly condemned the former KKK leader -- and he did so after the Tapper interview, too. Some of his disavowals have been brief.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...condemned-dav/

But apparently you're going to keep running with this lie as long as you think you can get away with it.

I'm done debating it with you.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

TDS

I'm not even sure why anti-Semites would see a champion in Donald Trump who has Jewish family members and is one of the strongest supporters of Israel to sit in the Oval Office in decades.
                      TDS goes both ways. Obviously, if there are Trumpers who feel comfortable saying those things, then derangement is not exclusive to those who oppose Trump.

Comment

The alt right nutbars jumped on the Trump bandwagon early on, 2015. That was when many Republicans still thought his run for office was another chapter in the life of the reality TV star. Some of the support was cultivated, such as Bannon and Spencer some of it was not directly cultivated.

Trump has been accused of ties to the alt right from the beginning, which is why his comments after Charlottesville surprised me. I would have though he or his staff would have something prepared that would be symbolic yet widely accepted.
                        Trump has been accused of being anything and everything but a child of God by the left and Never Trumpers pretty much from the get go.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Trump has been accused of being anything and everything but a child of God by the left and Never Trumpers pretty much from the get go.
                          Which of course has nothing to do with the man himself being an obvious NPD sufferer and frequent sayer of doofus-y things. At some point, you have to understand that being a rather new state of affairs will alarm both left and right (George Will, George Conway, Ann Coulter, Steve Walsh, etc.).

Comment

Yes, the Tapper interview was addressed in my previous post. Trump says he had a faulty earpiece and couldn't clearly hear the questions and was answering the best he could.
                            Faulty ear pieces and the like seem to happen to Trump an awful lot. Don't they test these things before going live and verify that the participants can hear clearly (yes they do)?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Yes he has, and sometimes for good reason. And one of those things he has been accused of is turning a blind eye, refusing to distance himself from support of people with ideas which ought to be condemned.

For some reason, conservatives demand that dens distance themselves from persons such as Farrakhan

Comment

Yes, the Tapper interview was addressed in my previous post. Trump says he had a faulty earpiece and couldn't clearly hear the questions and was answering the best he could. The CNN interview was on the evening of February 28. On the morning of February 29, Trump was on the Today Show explaining his inability to hear the questions and said, "I disavowed David Duke. And I disavowed him the day before at a major news conference."

Even Politifact gets this one right:

We found Trump denounced Duke years before his interview with Tapper.

In 1991, CNN’s Larry King asked Trump what Duke’s success with white voters in a failed bid for the Louisiana governorship represented.

Trump replied: "I hate seeing what it represents, but I guess it just shows there's a lot of hostility in this country. There's a tremendous amount of hostility in the United States."

In 2000, Trump declined to run a Reform Party presidential bid in part because the party attracted Duke’s support. Trump also called Duke "a bigot, a racist, a problem."

During his 2016 bid, Trump disavowed Duke, but it was not as strongly worded as some of his earlier rebukes.

In 2015, when asked about a quasi-endorsement by Duke, Trump replied that he wouldn’t want his endorsement. Asked if he would repudiate Duke, he replied: "Sure, I would do that, if it made you feel better. I don’t know anything about him. Somebody told me yesterday, whoever he is, he did endorse me. Actually I don’t think it was an endorsement. He said I was absolutely the best of all of the candidates."

In 2016, when asked about Duke’s endorsement of him, Trump said he wasn’t aware of it.

"I didn’t even know he endorsed me," he said. "David Duke endorsed me? Okay, all right. I disavow, okay?"

Sometimes Trump sounded exasperated by the question.

"I totally disavow the Klu Klux Klan," he said in a debate. "I totally disavow David Duke. I’ve been doing it now for two weeks, ... you’re probably about the 18th person that’s asked me the question."

Trump didn’t condemn Duke when asked about him in an interview with Tapper on CNN in 2016. But decades before, he had clearly condemned the former KKK leader -- and he did so after the Tapper interview, too. Some of his disavowals have been brief.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...condemned-dav/

But apparently you're going to keep running with this lie as long as you think you can get away with it.

I'm done debating it with you.
                                Good. Trumps reluctance to disavow Duke in 2015 was basically just a way to help keep them in his camp before the 2016 election. There is nothing innocent or excusable about it. His follow on actions since that time have only continued to give that sort of mindset the message that he's with them more than he is against them. And it is part of how his administration and his words and twitter feeds have helped create an environment where racism, anti-semitism and hate in many forms find themselves in a more friendly environment than they did three years ago.

And it is that environment that he continues to foster that many, including myself, believe is a contributor to the rise in anti-semitism.

It goes to why the kinds of things trump is constantly criticized for and you and others on this site continually try to minimize matter in the long run for our country and for the world.

Comment