Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Republican Party leader in Delaware blames Jews for Trump’s impeachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    The above is not assuming the conclusion MM, it is fillowing the evidence where it leads.
    Nah, man, it's a textbook example of begging the question. You start with the assumption that Trump is a racist and then argue in a circle to conclude that he's a racist.

Take, for example, this non sequitur:

The 5 were exonerated with DNA evidence and a confession.

That is about as solid proof they are innocents there can be. Yet Trump still casts aspersions on them and their innocence.

Trump is therefore acting out of malice...

That the premises are true does not necessitate that the conclusion is true, making this argument logically invalid. In fact, there are any number of reasons other than malice that could be motivating Trump. You could just as easily have said, "Trump, therefore, does not understand DNA evidence." Or "Trump, therefore, is a fan of The Beatles." Or whatever, it doesn't matter, because your conclusion is not dependent on the premises and is effectively plucked out of thin air.

This is why I asked if you could make your case without speculation or assumption, which I confess was a bit of a setup on my part, because I knew you couldn't.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Nah, man, it's a textbook example of begging the question. You start with the assumption that Trump is a racist and then argue in a circle to conclude that he's a racist.

Take, for example, this non sequitur:

The 5 were exonerated with DNA evidence and a confession.

That is about as solid proof they are innocents there can be. Yet Trump still casts aspersions on them and their innocence.

Trump is therefore acting out of malice...

That the premises are true does not necessitate that the conclusion is true, making this argument logically invalid. In fact, there are any number of reasons other than malice that could be motivating Trump. You could just as easily have said, "Trump, therefore, does not understand DNA evidence." Or "Trump, therefore, is a fan of The Beatles." Or whatever, it doesn't matter, because your conclusion is not dependent on the premises and is effectively plucked out of thin air.

This is why I asked if you could make your case without speculation or assumption, which I confess was a bit of a setup on my part, because I knew you couldn't.
      I understand the 'setup'. But I am ignoring it because what you are doing is pretending that the escape clauses you are using to proclaim my response invalid are not meaningless tripe. But that is exactly what they are. They do not represent any meaningful reasoning about the issue, they are just a means to pretending we cant know Trump is harboring racism or worse in his refusal to admit this men are innocent.

MM that is bovine feces, and you know it. You'd really rather present the president as so stupid and so utterly petty as to use random, meaningless reasons to continue to proclaim the guilt of innocent men than admit this is most likely either racism or a petty and egotistical inability to admit he was wrong?

Trump lives in the shadows. And a good part of the reason he can do that is because people like you are willing to put up argumentation like this on his behalf.

And I'm not going to back off. You are playing a dangerous game. The reality is Trump continuing to cast aspersions on these men is a very bad thing. It points strongly to racism. An honest person knows that, and most honest people will admit it.
      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-10-2020, 08:27 AM.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I understand the 'setup'. But I am ignoring it because...
        ...you know you can't meet the challenge.

Comment

unfortunately from what I've observed, many of them are not. This is coming from observing face book posts of friends from conservative churches we have attended in the past.

Most would not be anti-semitic, but the 'Trump is God's man' is rampant, and the idea people opposed to Trump are opposing God is also not uncommon. Other ideas (gun control views, climate change, immigration issues) also tend to align with far right conservatism.
          The number of overt. anti-Semites is negligible. But many are willing to allow themselves to be "fellow travelers".

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
            The number of overt. anti-Semites is negligible. But many are willing to allow themselves to be "fellow travelers".
            Must you stoop to unprovable scurrilous imputations? That's despicable.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Must you stoop to unprovable scurrilous imputations? That's despicable.
              It's the old "Even if I'm wrong, I'm still right" ruse.

Comment

No, its a tough crowd. Is there anything possible which can be presented?

Comment

What does "Jews in name only" mean?

Has anyone ever heard or read a similar phrase (such as in Christian or political discourse)?

Comment

Has anyone ever heard or read a similar phrase (such as in Christian or political discourse)?
                    Likely a play on RINO

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Likely a play on RINO
                      Okay. What does rino mean? Does the rino think like a real republican thinks, support the things a real republican supports?

Comment

Or the infamous "Fake but Accurate" line that emerged from the Rathergate fiasco.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Okay. What does rino mean?
                          Republicans In Name Only. Which is why I said Jews in name only was a play on it

Does the rino think like a real republican thinks, support the things a real republican supports?
                          As I posted just yesterday in another thread:

Personally I think it is foolish to talk about "RINOs" (Republicans In Name Only)[1] if they are sincere about trying to expand their base (the "big tent" concept). Having some sort of litmus test for doctrinal purity is a sure way to keep from growing[2]

1. While I may have used the term before (not sure if I did) it was for pure expediency. A kind of shorthand for liberal Republicans since that's pretty much what it is understood to mean.

2. I realize that in a perfect world it would be best to convert folks to your way of thinking as a way of increasing membership and they should continue to do so, but it is daft to chase off those who align with you but aren't in perfect harmony.

Comment

Jesus for one:

Originally posted by Revelation 2:9
                            “‘I know your tribulation and your poverty (but you are rich) and the slander of those who say that they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.
                            We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Republicans In Name Only. Which is why I said Jews in name only was a play on it

As I posted just yesterday in another thread:
                              Okay. What do you think was meant by the use of the phrase "Jews in name only"?

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post
                                Jesus for one:
                                He also said something about CINOs (Christians In Name Only)

Scripture Verse:

Matthew 7:21 ESV
                                "Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."

© Copyright Original Source

Comment