Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Republican Party leader in Delaware blames Jews for Trump’s impeachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    This is true, and this is where Judaism tends to also be a nationality and an ethnicity as well, which is rather unique among the worlds religions. I was simply giving an example where someone is considered a member of that religion, even if they don't hold its tennants anymore.
    Nationality???????

The blurring of lines between people, nation, and state is problematic. I think you mean people.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
      Nationality???????
      Yes. Why the number of question marks?

The blurring of lines between people, nation, and state is problematic. I think you mean people.
      I don't see why, except that it is rather unique. The Jewish people have a special tie to the State of Israel, which is important to them both culturally, ethnically as well as religiously.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Perhaps, I don't really know what the church considers, nor do I see how that would matter; what difference does it make to the atheist what the church considers him to be.
        Presumably it should matter not much, you're working hard to score a point no one is arguing. I was merely giving a minor example of another situation where membership in a religion was counted, even if the person wasn't a member in good faith. I did this to illustrate why the JINO concept was flaky.

Comment

Presumably it should matter not much, you're working hard to score a point no one is arguing. I was merely giving a minor example of another situation where membership in a religion was counted, even if the person wasn't a member in good faith. I did this to illustrate why the JINO concept was flaky.
          The JINO concept may be flaky, which raises the question of why it is used. Since it is used, it seems some see it as not flaky.

Comment

Yes. Why the number of question marks?

I don't see why, except that it is rather unique. The Jewish people have a special tie to the State of Israel, which is important to them both culturally, ethnically as well as religiously.
            Why the extra question marks? Because, as I stated, the blurring of lines between people and nation is problematic. Judaism is not a nationality.

The existence of Jews in the US does form a nation within the nation.

Comment