Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Jewish Americans coming home to the GOP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    What does this have to do with your point? It seems you just keep asking more questions, moving further affield. Why should we continue to answer you if you don't engage in dialogue?

You have yet to engage with my responses.

Do you believe not engaging is a useful debating technique? How does that make you feel?
    It has to do with the point.

The only point you made that I did not engage had to do with "synagogue of Satan", which used the biblical reference but ignored the way it is used by some today. I do not know if you are familiar with the usage.

Each other points have been addressed, some by more than one poster.

I am not moving further afield. It is within the scope of the thread, and OP.

Unless I am misreading Sparko, he is arguing that the old testament sacrifices were efficacious. And if one attained heaven under the Old Law, then reconciliation happened prior to Jesus' sacrifice in the New Testament. Some made it to heaven, the old Testament Saints.

Justification has an internal component; changes to the soul whether Jew or Christian. The Jew in name only is perhaps another category; however, the term is used, and it is the pragmatic political topics which prompt its use. And it is related to the Christian in name only charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      You tell me Simplicio. Or you could read Hebrews which explains what the sacrifices represented in the OT.

Also, you seem to think that accepting Jesus as your Savior and the Christ is not needed to be saved today. That doesn't sound very Catholic of you.
      What prompted the conclusion that I think accepting Jesus is not needed? I did ask what acceptance looks like, you responded with the snarky "You don't know?"

The fact is, I don't know what accepting Jesus looks like. I know how it looks in a normative case. But divine grace does not always follow man's ways; sometimes divine grace affects persons we least expect. Couple that with what Christians such as yourself accept from people deemed to be Christian, then the question is worth a look at.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
        What prompted the conclusion that I think accepting Jesus is not needed? I did ask what acceptance looks like, you responded with the snarky "You don't know?"

The fact is, I don't know what accepting Jesus looks like. I know how it looks in a normative case. But divine grace does not always follow man's ways; sometimes divine grace affects persons we least expect. Couple that with what Christians such as yourself accept from people deemed to be Christian, then the question is worth a look at.
        I have read Hebrews, as have many other Christians. Do you realize that Christians might read the bible and come to different conclusions as you.

Comment

I have read Hebrews, as have many other Christians. Do you realize that Christians might read the bible and come to different conclusions as you.
          Arguing with yourself now?

Comment

Why on earth would anyone care how ultimate loyalties are expressed? I suppose an atheist could honestly respond with "Who cares".

I suspect that you are accurate, that your mind does not turn to questions in what it means to be heaven bound, or any such things.
            Do you realize that Christians might read the bible and come to different conclusions as you.
            Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              The Catholic pathway to salvation is more narrowly defined as well than jut accepting Jesus as Savior. It will well defined what a person has to do to reach Salvation.
              Okay. Just what is the catholic pathway to salvation? You can describe it from an external pov, or it can be described from internal pov, the soul and any changes which may occur.

Do you hold that only Catholics can enter heaven? (loaded question)

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                Who cares?

As a Jewish Christian, you are naturally interested in such an issue. I think nothing about it, why should I think anything about what some Christians think about some Jews?
                As a Christian, can you really shrug off the question which ultimately refers to who and what G-d is, on one of the biggest stumbling blocks for Jews?

Another stumbling block for Jews is the whole Christian antisemitism thing.

Comment

As a Christian, can you really shrug off the question which ultimately refers to who and what G-d is, on one of the biggest stumbling blocks for Jews?
                  Excuses.

Another stumbling block for Jews is the whole Christian antisemitism thing.
                  Excuses.

Either Jesus of Nazareth is the Messiah, or He is not.

Comment

Excuses.

Excuses.

Either Jesus of Nazareth is the Messiah, or He is not.
                    Jesus is the messiah, a divine person, and the only begotten son. Jews do not recognize any of those realities.

Do you really not care about how one apprehends those realities, how Jews who attained heaven apprehended those realities, or how Jews today can apprehend those realities?

Many Jews see Christian as erstwhile and fickle allies at best. Given the views of religious right Christians on Jews, Jewish salvation (does the hope for Israel depend on apocalyptic destruction?), and the role of Israel in geopolitics (is Israel's role one with a future or does the divine drama demand the suffer nuclear holocaust: The Jew as perpetual victim and the foil to Christians' eschatology! )

Comment

Jesus is the messiah, a divine person, and the only begotten son. Jews do not recognize any of those realities.

Do you really not care about how one apprehends those realities, how Jews who attained heaven apprehended those realities, or how Jews today can apprehend those realities?

Many Jews see Christian as erstwhile and fickle allies at best. Given the views of religious right Christians on Jews, Jewish salvation (does the hope for Israel depend on apocalyptic destruction?), and the role of Israel in geopolitics (is Israel's role one with a future or does the divine drama demand the suffer nuclear holocaust: The Jew as perpetual victim and the foil to Christians' eschatology! )
                      The Church is now Israel, and the Jews simply need to repent.

Comment

The Church is now Israel, and the Jews simply need to repent.
                        That is one of the most controversial topics within Christianity. Your answer leaves open the question on what role Israel today plays in the divine economy, the role of Judaism in salvation history (we have not reached the end of history) and eschatology.

Yes repentance is necessary, but not all that is needed.

Comment

That is one of the most controversial topics within Christianity. Your answer leaves open the question on what role Israel today plays in the divine economy, the role of Judaism in salvation history (we have not reached the end of history) and eschatology.

Yes repentance is necessary, but not all that is needed.
                          No question marks

Comment

No question marks
                            And a response which does not respond to any ideas presented, substance free post in response to a post, and discussion, about the faith.

But of course, no one would dare comment "I can't believe a Christian would say such a thing".

Comment

And a response which does not respond to any ideas presented, substance free post in response to a post, and discussion, about the faith.
                              Hang on there, my chutzpah-meter just broke.

Comment

Is the Republican Party likely to be able to reach out and draw Jewish voters?

Comment