Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Project Lincoln airs New ad Targeting Christian Trump Supporters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Lincoln airs New ad Targeting Christian Trump Supporters

Would like to hear opinions on what you think of it. There is some strong language (from Trump) in the video so if posting it violates TWeb guidelines we can handle this thread as appropriate.

I don't have much opinion about it since it isn't targeted at me and a lot of the stuff in it I had already heard. Not sure that this will have much impact on those suffering from TAS.

A mishmash of split-second edited clips. What is the gist of the video? What is it trying to say?

Comment

I personally doubt very much that Trump is a Christian. Or if he is, he is very much a baby one who has been given bad advice by televangelists and the word of faith wolves that surround him.

Comment

I have said this before. I think Jimmy Carter is a good Christian but was a lousy President. And I think Trump is a lousy Christian (or not one) and a good President.

Comment

a) I don't worship Trump; I am aware he is a highly flawed human being.

2) I will probably vote for him again, because he will almost certainly again be the lesser of two viable unpleasant choices.

I don't know anyone who thinks he's God's anointed President.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            a) I don't worship Trump; I am aware he is a highly flawed human being.

2) I will probably vote for him again, because he will almost certainly again be the lesser of two viable unpleasant choices.

I don't know anyone who thinks he's God's anointed President.
            I've only encountered that term very sparingly a few times. I was worried once that the religious right would really try to hammer that rhetoric, but it thankfully never took off.

Comment

I couldn't tell if it was saying Trump is a fake Christian fooling evangelicals or the Christian evangelical base was fake for supporting Trump, or both. I assume the former?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                I've only encountered that term very sparingly a few times. I was worried once that the religious right would really try to hammer that rhetoric, but it thankfully never took off.
                That's because "the religious right" isn't Ned Flanders like their critics make them out to be.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  That's because "the religious right" isn't Ned Flanders like their critics make them out to be.
                  You apparently haven’t heard the evangelists who support Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                    A mishmash of split-second edited clips. What is the gist of the video? What is it trying to say?
                    It's fairly obvious what it is saying seanD. It's saying there is a subset of Christian ministry that is pushing the Idea that Donald Trump is a man chosen by God and it is a Christians duty to support him no matter what he does, no matter how contrary to Christian faith his actions, policies, behavior, and words might be. These are clips of ministers of the Gospel, well known, popular people, not just saying Trump is the better of two rock and hard place choices, but that Donald Trump has the full and nearly unlimited backing of God Himself.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      It's fairly obvious what it is saying seanD. It's saying there is a subset of Christian ministry that is pushing the Idea that Donald Trump is a man chosen by God and it is a Christians duty to support him no matter what he does, no matter how contrary to Christian faith his actions, policies, behavior, and words might be. These are clips of ministers of the Gospel, well known, popular people, not just saying Trump is the better of two rock and hard place choices, but that Donald Trump has the full and nearly unlimited backing of God Himself.
                      My question from post#7 makes the dynamic of the argument different. Are we arguing evangelicals are being fooled by Trump? If so, so what? Evangelicals always rally around a Republican president, and most of the evangelicals shown in the clip, Christians here don't follow anyway. So all the hyper bombastic spiritual nonsense they surround Trump with is the same hyper bombastic spiritual nonsense they engage in their own ministry that no one here takes seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                        My question from post#7 makes the dynamic of the argument different. Are we arguing evangelicals are being fooled by Trump? If so, so what? Evangelicals always rally around a Republican president, and most of the evangelicals shown in the clip, Christians here don't follow anyway. So all the hyper bombastic spiritual nonsense they surround Trump with is the same hyper bombastic spiritual nonsense they engage in their own ministry that no one here takes seriously.
                        Really, the ad just looks like another lame attempt to drive a wedge between Trump and those most likely to vote for him. Liberals figured out a while ago that Trump is pretty much bullet proof, and that attacking him directly is futile, so they're going after us instead and trying to shame us into voting for someone else.
                        Last edited by Mountain Man; 01-09-2020, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          These are clips of ministers of the Gospel, well known, popular people...
                          I honestly don't know who any of them are. I didn't recognize a single person in that video. Well, except for President Trump, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            I honestly don't know who any of them are. I didn't recognize a single person in that video. Well, except for President Trump, obviously.
                            The woman with the blond hair and smooth lizard face is Trump's spiritual advisor. The one with the full beard is Jerry Falwell Jr. (who has some weird sex blackmail thing going on). Someone else can identify the others. These aren't nobodies.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                              The woman with the blond hair and smooth lizard face is Trump's spiritual advisor. The one with the full beard is Jerry Falwell Jr. (who has some weird sex blackmail thing going on). Someone else can identify the others. These aren't nobodies.
                              The bearded guy was Jim Baker. The blonde was Paula White. Come on, man, you think most Christians you've had discussion and debate with on here follow these people? Whether White is or isn't Trump's "spiritual advisor" -- whatever that is -- I wouldn't doubt that's probably up for debate. I've personally never heard that before.

Comment