Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's speech malfunctions from Wednesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    I thought you played the court jester around here.
    Nah, just the fool.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
      This is a straw man. I said "handle", not "be immune to".

I've abused prescription drugs in the past and nowadays I use my prescription drugs according to doctors orders. Is there really a contradiction here?

I agree. But if the choice is between him using drugs as prescribed versus give the kind of performance he gave on Wednesday during one of his most important speeches yet I know which one I'd prefer from my president.

Not today Satan.

Or he could, get this, take the drugs according to doctors orders. I take a prescription drug which, if taken in excess, makes me feel *really good* (but also tends to give me seizures). I don't take it in excess anymore. And no one is accusing me of being a drug addict!

Edit: You (sort of) replied to my real talk question.

I'm not either of those.

Have you ever seen someone with those kinds of speech malfunctions who wasn't under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or a medical condition? I haven't.
      I have. Me - my speech impediment showed up in middle age and is annoyingly intermittant. Sheesh...
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Yes because your argument is:

“Trump must be on drugs, see this video!”
        No, I think the video mainly shows the effects of his dementia. The long term drug abuse isn't doing him any favors though.

When I point out lack of sleep and stress cause similar effects you now say:

“He isn’t willing to do what it takes!”

What is it?
        I've never given a speech which would be seen by probably ~1 billion people worldwide when teetering on the brink of war. Neither you nor I would take the risk that a bad night's sleep could derail things!

Trump has never been known to be a great speaker, but that is hardly evidence that your assertions are true.
        Then you either just became aware of him in 2015/2016 or you have very selective memory. He spoke with proficiency and skill through most of his life (if you really want to challenge me on the complement I can dig up some video clips). In the last few years that has significantly faded and been replaced with increasingly frequent verbal glitches I've never heard from a healthy brain. Why do you think his public speaking skill has degraded so strongly?

I simply pointed out your contradictions. Not my fault you don’t like it and label it ‘CDS’ to avoid your double standards.
        Not a contradiction or double standard. You even agreed that his doctor lied about his height!

Are you his doctor? Do you have any evidence that he has been prescribed drugs he isn’t taking or taking properly or are you just gossiping about someone you don’t like? There’s a lot better things to go after Trump than this insanity. Maybe you should try a less crazy path.
        You said lack of sleep explained his performance on Wednesday. I pointed out that there are drugs which can overcome sleep deprivation (we give Provigil to long distance military pilots to allow them to focus for the duration of their mission). There are also drugs you can take to put you right to sleep and can be used safely if managed according to close doctor care (which he has on site 24/7). If you think this speech, given during an event which had momentarily taken the focus off his impeachment, was incidental then I guess we have different things in mind when it comes to political strategy.

So why are you making medical diagnoses that you’re not qualified to make?
        Don't take my word for it then.

A group of 350 psychiatrists and other mental-health professionals are set to submit a petition to Congress on Thursday claiming that President Donald Trump's mental health is rapidly deteriorating amid the impeachment inquiry.

"We are speaking out at this time because we are convinced that, as the time of possible impeachment approaches, Donald Trump has the real potential to become ever more dangerous, a threat to the safety of our nation," Drs. Bandy Lee, a Yale psychiatrist, Jerrold Post, a former CIA profiler, and John Zinner, a psychiatrist at George Washington University, wrote in a statement accompanying the petition, which was first reported by the British outlet The Independent.
        Are you an MD? There’s lots of things I haven’t seen because I don’t work in the medical field. There’s plenty of studies out there showing skipping a nights sleep is roughly like having a .1 blood alcohol level.
        When I was younger I took I think 2.5mg provigil, stayed up the whole night working, took another 2.5mg, and went to work feeling great the entire time. It's not like drinking a pot of coffee -- you feel like and perform as if you you just got a solid night's sleep. Now, Trump is a lot older than I was so it's not a perfect comparison but he can also get the *really good stuff* from an on site doctor.

Do you honestly think it more likely he'd risk flubbing one the most consequential speeches of his presidency, a speech which would no doubt be watched, rewatched, parsed, analyzed, and speculated upon by friend and foe alike (e.g. Iran!) instead of taking drugs to address sleep deprivation which can be taken safely when under a doctor's care?
        Last edited by DivineOb; 01-11-2020, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          I have. Me - my speech impediment showed up in middle age and is annoyingly intermittant. Sheesh...
          So, a medical condition then.

Comment

My late wife had a severe stutter when she was younger, and speech therapy was minimally effective, and so she, being the genius that she was (and I'm not kidding; my wife was brilliant) she sat down and started reading the dictionary and memorizing words, so that if she ever got stuck on a word, she could simply substitute another in its place. Not only did she eliminate her stutter, but she acquired an impressive vocabulary.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

No, I think the video mainly shows the effects of his dementia. The long term drug abuse isn't doing him any favors though.

I've never given a speech which would be seen by probably ~1 billion people worldwide when teetering on the brink of war. Neither you nor I would take the risk that a bad night's sleep could derail things!

Then you either just became aware of him in 2015/2016 or you have very selective memory. He spoke with proficiency and skill through most of his life (if you really want to challenge me on the complement I can dig up some video clips). In the last few years that has significantly faded and been replaced with increasingly frequent verbal glitches I've never heard from a healthy brain. Why do you think his public speaking skill has degraded so strongly?

Not a contradiction or double standard. You even agreed that his doctor lied about his height!

You said lack of sleep explained his performance on Wednesday. I pointed out that there are drugs which can overcome sleep deprivation (we give Provigil to long distance military pilots to allow them to focus for the duration of their mission). There are also drugs you can take to put you right to sleep and can be used safely if managed according to close doctor care (which he has on site 24/7). If you think this speech, given during an event which had momentarily taken the focus off his impeachment, was incidental then I guess we have different things in mind when it comes to political strategy.

Don't take my word for it then.

When I was younger I took I think 2.5mg provigil, stayed up the whole night working, took another 2.5mg, and went to work feeling great the entire time. It's not like drinking a pot of coffee -- you feel like and perform as if you you just got a solid night's sleep. Now, Trump is a lot older than I was so it's not a perfect comparison but he can also get the *really good stuff* from an on site doctor.

Do you honestly think it more likely he'd risk flubbing one the most consequential speeches of his presidency, a speech which would no doubt be watched, rewatched, parsed, analyzed, and speculated upon by friend and foe alike (e.g. Iran!) instead of taking drugs to address sleep deprivation which can be taken safely when under a doctor's care?
              Yep no other medical conditions can cause slurred speech:

Simply being tired or fatigued can make it hard to think of the right words. And when you're worried about being judged by others or feel embarrassed, you may freeze up or struggle to talk.

https://www.webmd.com/brain/sudden-s...roblems-causes

No other causes at all, your TDS tells you it’s the onset of dementia, that must be the answer.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

So, a medical condition then.
                No.

Seriously, stop doing that. You're trying to limit the possibilities to your favor - but you're ending up with a piece of nasty work.

This was crap when they tried it a few years ago with Clinton - and yes, I did call it out - and it's crap now. Stop playing doctor - you don't have the expertise.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  My late wife had a severe stutter when she was younger, and speech therapy was minimally effective, and so she, being the genius that she was (and I'm not kidding; my wife was brilliant) she sat down and started reading the dictionary and memorizing words, so that if she ever got stuck on a word, she could simply substitute another in its place. Not only did she eliminate her stutter, but she acquired an impressive vocabulary.
                  Awesome!

Mine's just weird - I'll know precisely what I mean to say, but can't say it. I can say literally anything else but for a short while, not that.

If I'm achy or irritable, I'll forget a word midsentence. Usually nouns and proper names. I swear, it is so aggravating to tell a friend 'your daughter in band did such in such' because I can't remember the name I'd just used two sentences earlier!

Gah!!!!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

No.
                    Yes. You spoke like Trump has spoken because of your medical condition. I'm asking for a fourth possibility beyond the three I listed.

Seriously, stop doing that. You're trying to limit the possibilities to your favor - but you're ending up with a piece of nasty work.

This was crap when they tried it a few years ago with Clinton - and yes, I did call it out - and it's crap now. Stop playing doctor - you don't have the expertise.
                    Fair point. So, let's listen to 350 professionals

A group of 350 psychiatrists and other mental-health professionals are set to submit a petition to Congress on Thursday claiming that President Donald Trump's mental health is rapidly deteriorating amid the impeachment inquiry.

"We are speaking out at this time because we are convinced that, as the time of possible impeachment approaches, Donald Trump has the real potential to become ever more dangerous, a threat to the safety of our nation," Drs. Bandy Lee, a Yale psychiatrist, Jerrold Post, a former CIA profiler, and John Zinner, a psychiatrist at George Washington University, wrote in a statement accompanying the petition, which was first reported by the British outlet The Independent.

Comment

Yes. You spoke like Trump has spoken because of your medical condition. I'm asking for a fourth possibility beyond the three I listed.

Fair point. So, let's listen to 350 professionals

Looks like 350 doctors that lack medical ethics.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Yep no other medical conditions can cause slurred speech:

Simply being tired or fatigued can make it hard to think of the right words. And when you're worried about being judged by others or feel embarrassed, you may freeze up or struggle to talk.

https://www.webmd.com/brain/sudden-s...roblems-causes

Right. But that's also a trivial matter to solve using any number of medications he has access to 24/7. If he chose not to avail himself of them before one of the most important speeches of his life then that's almost worse!

No other causes at all, your TDS tells you it’s the onset of dementia, that must be the answer.
                        Maybe it's not dementia. But *something* is wrong for him to speak like he did in the video I linked. That it is mere fatigue is not plausible and wouldn't explain all the other times he's done the same thing.

It would be nothing short of admirable to say "I think he's the best President since Lincoln but something is wrong with him which wasn't wrong in 2016."
                        Last edited by DivineOb; 01-11-2020, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Looks like 350 doctors that lack medical ethics.
                          Right. If I say it looks like a problem you challenge me for not being an MD. Then I point to not just one but many and you want to throw their opinions out.

TAS claims another one :poursouta40:.

Comment

Right. But that's also a trivial matter to solve using any number of medications he has access to 24/7. He chose not to avail himself of them before one of the most important speeches of his life then that's almost worse!
                            “He’s supposed to drug himself, with drugs that could have even worse side effects!”

That’s a pretty insane argument to make and one that truly shows how in the depths of TDS you truly are. Did you bother to think that it might be a wee bit of a bad idea to give a drug that can cause hallucinations, irregular heart beat, and mood swings to a 73 year old man let alone one that is the president? It’s like you don’t think of these things and just sort of assume things before you think.

Maybe it's not dementia. But *something* is wrong for him to speak like he did in the video I linked. That it is mere fatigue is not plausible and wouldn't explain all the other times he's done the same thing.

It would be nothing short of admirable to say "I think he's the best President since Lincoln but something is wrong with him which wasn't wrong in 2016."
                            There is a whole list of things, including stress, anxiety, and lack of sleep. Your problem is you jump to conclusions instead of putting a bit of thought into this.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Right. If I say it looks like a problem you challenge me for not being an MD. Then I point to not just one but many and you want to throw their opinions out.

TAS claims another one :poursouta40:.
                              Silly me, I thought a doctor actually had to see you, run test, or consult with doctors that have before they could make a diagnose. There’s a reason doctors don’t make medical decisions over a phone call. Have any of these doctors done an exam, ran test, or consulted with doctors that have?
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Silly me, I thought a doctor actually had to see you, run test, or consult with doctors that have before they could make a diagnose. There’s a reason doctors don’t make medical decisions over a phone call. Have any of these doctors done an exam, ran test, or consulted with doctors that have?
                                And *I* thought you would do me the courtesy of at least opening that link before commenting. I guess we're both in for disappointment.

“He’s supposed to drug himself, with drugs that could have even worse side effects!”

That’s a pretty insane argument to make and one that truly shows how in the depths of TDS you truly are. Did you bother to think that it might be a wee bit of a bad idea to give a drug that can cause hallucinations, irregular heart beat, and mood swings to a 73 year old man let alone one that is the president? It’s like you don’t think of these things and just sort of assume things before you think.
                                He has the world's top doctors on call 24/7. He'll manage.

If Trump can't deal with a sleepless night because his body is too fragile then sucks to be him, I guess. Obama seemed to deal with them just fine.

There is a whole list of things, including stress, anxiety, and lack of sleep. Your problem is you jump to conclusions instead of putting a bit of thought into this.
                                Are you saying Donald "Tough as Nails" Trump isn't up to the most stressful and anxiety inducing job on the planet? If only he had realized how hard it was to be President before he volunteered!
                                Last edited by DivineOb; 01-11-2020, 09:38 PM.

Comment