Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's speech malfunctions from Wednesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
    Is it your position that his speech malfunctions that morning were due to exhaustion? Really?

Yes, he looked exhausted. Watch the video. He was probably up all night from the situation in the middle east. That and he obviously can't speak from a teleprompter as I said. He does much better speaking off the cuff.

Comment

Can I please get a show of hands from the Trump supporters who watched my video? Don't @ me about other stuff until you do.
      I watched the whole speech as it happened DOB. And again later on youtube. And I watched your video.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        One of my crowning moments in my college public speaking class was when I gave a 15-minute extemporaneous speech. And I was completely honest about it in my self evaluation. We were supposed to study and practice in front of friends, and so on, but I told my instructor, "Nope, I just made it up on the spot." I got an A.
        I am just the opposite. I can speak one on one with someone or even a few people in an informal context with no problem, but put me in front of a crowd in a formal speech setting, even if the crowd is full of my friends and I freeze up. If it is just me in front of a crowd and I am just giving an announcement or similar, I have no problem. Like when I hosted the gift exchange at the tweb convention. But I was asked to be the best man at my friend's wedding and had to give the "best man" speech and I stuttered and sweated through the whole thing.

Comment

Have you ever seen someone with those kinds of speech malfunctions who wasn't under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or a medical condition? I haven't.
          Me, as I said above.

Comment

Right. But that's also a trivial matter to solve using any number of medications he has access to 24/7. If he chose not to avail himself of them before one of the most important speeches of his life then that's almost worse!
            so now you are complaining because he DIDN'T take drugs.

Come on, DoB! You are trying to play catch 22 here. sheesh.

Some people have trouble speaking off the cuff and others have trouble reading from a scrolling teleprompter. That doesn't mean they are demented or drug addled.

It must be nice to never, ever make a slip-up when giving a speech. How do you do it?
            Last edited by Sparko; 01-13-2020, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Yes, he looked exhausted. Watch the video. He was probably up all night from the situation in the middle east. That and he obviously can't speak from a teleprompter as I said. He does much better speaking off the cuff.
              Yeah, reading words is really tough.

Comment

I am just the opposite. I can speak one on one with someone or even a few people in an informal context with no problem, but put me in front of a crowd in a formal speech setting, even if the crowd is full of my friends and I freeze up. If it is just me in front of a crowd and I am just giving an announcement or similar, I have no problem. Like when I hosted the gift exchange at the tweb convention. But I was asked to be the best man at my friend's wedding and had to give the "best man" speech and I stuttered and sweated through the whole thing.
                I did the same at my brothers wedding, and he did the same at my other brothers wedding. He turned beet red and no one could hear what he mummbled, and I basically did the same thing. You're not alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Rethink that - do you really want an explanation for every hiccup, bad hair day and tongue trip? Because no one owes you as employer an explanation for their private matters that do not substantively affect performance and if we set such a precedent, there will be no end. Heck, it could even be used to demand DNA - and why stop with sitting presidents? Betcha someone out there still wants to prove Obama wasn't born in Hawaii...
                  Straw man. I'm asking for an explanation for something *consistent with a serious medical problem*, which has *recently shown up* and *appears to be getting worse*.

Most jobs can't demand things like this. But he's got the most important job in the country. It is in his power to end all human life on the planet. Read that a second time. In minutes the end of human civilization and eventual end of human life. I'd be fine with asking the president to get his DNA sequenced (under proper controls) so we can better understand what possible medical issues might affect her.

You don't want the job? Don't volunteer!

So Biden needs a new physical and a psych eval? Because Biden has far more instances on camera that can be construed as dementia - several so bad that he literally is talking nonsense.
                  If there is even a fraction of the evidence he has dementia as we have for Trump then yes, he owes us answers before he give him the most important and stressful job in the country. At his age we should take as many extra precautions as we can. Sanders too since he just had a heart attack.

And there is dispute - a video montage is not diagnostic - not by a long shot. Even less so when weaponized politically.

Pence is on Trump's ticket - so, are you now mentally impaired because you literally just posted nonsense? Or can we chalk it up to 'nobody's perfect'? If the latter, be nice and show Trump the same latitude you want for yourself.
                  Not sure what you mean. I meant Pence to be at the top of the ticket.

Comment

Me, as I said above.
                    I must have missed this. Can you point me to the message or requote it?

Comment

• Maybe *you* need a psych eval, your trolling is really slipping.

so now you are complaining because he DIDN'T take drugs.
                      This doesn't even qualify as a straw man. I complained about him *abusing* drugs. I *hope* the president takes drugs, when warranted, under her doctor's care.

Some people have trouble speaking off the cuff and others have trouble reading from a scrolling teleprompter. That doesn't mean they are demented or drug addled.
                      There are specific warning signs for dementia, such as aphasia (e.g. saying 'oranges' when you mean 'origins'). They don't prove anything on their own but they are enough to warrant serious questions and concerns. Surely you agree that if there is even a 1% chance the president has worsening dementia it presents a clear and present danger to our country, right?

It must be nice to never, ever make a slip-up when giving a speech. How do you do it?
                      I've done it before. Never had my brain reboot. If I started talking like Trump does in those videos I'd head right to the doctor, as would you!

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                        Maybe *you* need a psych eval, your trolling is really slipping.

This doesn't even qualify as a straw man. I complained about him *abusing* drugs. I *hope* the president takes drugs, when warranted, under her doctor's care.
                        you complained because he should have taken some stimulants to overcome his tiredness and in another thread I think it was you who were pointing out he was "snorting aderall" on the Apprentice. You were also suggesting he might be drunk because he was slurring his words but above you complained that maybe he didn't take enough drugs. You are all over the place.

There are specific warning signs for dementia, such as aphasia (e.g. saying 'oranges' when you mean 'origins'). They don't prove anything on their own but they are enough to warrant serious questions and concerns. Surely you agree that if there is even a 1% chance the president has worsening dementia it presents a clear and present danger to our country, right?
                        He has a doctor as you pointed out who checks his health and has a duty to report dementia. Trump sure has got a lot done for someone with dementia. The biggest sign of dementia is an inability to function or even remember simple things. Trump's memory is fine. Stammering over a few words when reading a teleprompter is no big deal. Have you ever tried to read a teleprompter? It is a screen with words scrolling by while you are trying to read them out loud. Some people find it hard to do without slipping up.

I've done it before. Never had my brain reboot. If I started talking like Trump does in those videos I'd head right to the doctor, as would you!
                        Please DivineOb, anyone can clip together a bunch of minor mistakes and make it sound like the person is an idiot. Look at what they have done with Pelosi and company. I bet if we had hundreds of hours of you speaking in public we could make a clip show of you stuttering and mispronouncing words quite easily.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          you complained because he should have taken some stimulants to overcome his tiredness and in another thread I think it was you who were pointing out he was "snorting aderall" on the Apprentice. You were also suggesting he might be drunk because he was slurring his words but above you complained that maybe he didn't take enough drugs. You are all over the place.
                          Would you agree that "snorting adderall" is probably not following a doctor's advice?

Would you agree that under the close supervision of a doctor it can be perfectly safe to take Provigil or a similar drug when giving one of the most consequential speeches of your presidency?

I never suggested he was drunk.

He has a doctor as you pointed out who checks his health and has a duty to report dementia. Trump sure has got a lot done for someone with dementia.
                          Regan had dementia the last year of his presidency. King Charles II was also an effective king despite being clearly unfit to lead from top to bottom. The president is surrounded by people who effect pollicy.

The biggest sign of dementia is an inability to function or even remember simple things. Trump's memory is fine.
                          I have to assume that the two symptoms you are describing are signs of extremely advanced dementia, and I don't think Trump is there *yet*.

Here Trump incorrectly says his father was from Germany (it was his Grandfather). Here's a list of times he has struggled with peoples' names which he has no excuse for forgetting. I can post tons more of examples.

Stammering over a few words when reading a teleprompter is no big deal. Have you ever tried to read a teleprompter? It is a screen with words scrolling by while you are trying to read them out loud. Some people find it hard to do without slipping up.
                          That video did not show Trump stammering. It is flatly dishonest to describe it as such.

Please DivineOb, anyone can clip together a bunch of minor mistakes and make it sound like the person is an idiot. Look at what they have done with Pelosi and company. I bet if we had hundreds of hours of you speaking in public we could make a clip show of you stuttering and mispronouncing words quite easily.
                          Give it a try and lets see. If you show people with the kinds of brain glitches shown in the videos I'll concede either that I'm being overharsh or that those people also need a psych eval.

Comment

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                              Would you agree that "snorting adderall" is probably not following a doctor's advice?

Would you agree that under the close supervision of a doctor it can be perfectly safe to take Provigil or a similar drug when giving one of the most consequential speeches of your presidency?

I never suggested he was drunk.
                              You realize that taking stimulants to overcome a lack of sleep usually ends up causing more problems like being too nervous or being unable to focus, etc? So maybe he DID take something like you suggest.

Regan had dementia the last year of his presidency. King Charles II was also an effective king despite being clearly unfit to lead from top to bottom. The president is surrounded by people who effect pollicy.

I have to assume that the two symptoms you are describing are signs of extremely advanced dementia, and I don't think Trump is there *yet*.

Here Trump incorrectly says his father was from Germany (it was his Grandfather). Here's a list of times he has struggled with peoples' names which he has no excuse for forgetting. I can post tons more of examples.
                              wow, forgetting people's names. I forget people's names about 5 seconds after they are introduced to me. And misspeaking, ooh. scary. Come on DOB, you are reaching. And no, forgetting things isn't just advanced dementia. It is one of the first symptoms. And I am not talking about forgetting someone's name here and there.

That video did not show Trump stammering. It is flatly dishonest to describe it as such.
                              Really? You are going to accuse me of being dishonest over a semantic term in a debate?

Give it a try and lets see. If you show people with the kinds of brain glitches shown in the videos I'll concede either that I'm being overharsh or that those people also need a psych eval.

Comment

You realize that taking stimulants to overcome a lack of sleep usually ends up causing more problems like being too nervous or being unable to focus, etc? So maybe he DID take something like you suggest.
                                I've taking Provigil on several occasions. It's like a miracle how you awake and aware you feel after.

wow, forgetting people's names. I forget people's names about 5 seconds after they are introduced to me. And misspeaking, ooh. scary. Come on DOB, you are reaching. And no, forgetting things isn't just advanced dementia. It is one of the first symptoms. And I am not talking about forgetting someone's name here and there.
                                Forgetting Paul Ryan's name? Forgetting Bolton's name? Forgetting Netanyahu's name? Forgetting it was his grandfather not his father who immigrated? Get out of here with your TAS.

What you said was

The biggest sign of dementia is an inability to function or even remember simple things.

I wouldn't say Trump is "unable to function." I wouldn't say he can't remember "simple" things (e.g. what a clock is called).

Really? You are going to accuse me of being dishonest over a semantic term in a debate?
                                Here's how Mayo Clinic defines stuttering

Stuttering — also called stammering or childhood-onset fluency disorder — is a speech disorder that involves frequent and significant problems with normal fluency and flow of speech. People who stutter know what they want to say, but have difficulty saying it. For example, they may repeat or prolong a word, a syllable, or a consonant or vowel sound. Or they may pause during speech because they've reached a problematic word or sound.

Do you think that accurately describes Trump's speech malfunctions? I don't. Some might be captured by that (and here's I'll concede I had a different definition of 'stutter' than Mayo defines it as) but most of does not.

videos
                                I listened to all the Pelosi parts from the videos twice (We already know Biden has a stutter. If you really want I'll listen to those too though). I hear a lot of rough speaking (I've previously noted to myself that I was disappointed she wasn't a more smooth speaker and I think that really cuts against her effectiveness with convincing the public). I don't hear weird word mutations or blending like you hear from Trump. I don't hear her suffering from aphasia (origins -> oranges). If you want to hear me say that probably Pelosi and Biden are getting too old I have no problem saying that (see my first post in this thread).

Comment