Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The blue-state exodus gains momentum

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    I haven’t made min wage, since I was a teenager. In fact, only 2.3% of workers make the federal min wage or below.
    2.7% make minimum or below minimum wage and that amounts to 2.2 million people. But minimum wage is only part of the problem, the minimum wage, which is to low to begin with, doesn't take into account all of those people who are making slightly more than minimum. And keeping the minimum wage rate low tends to lower everybody elses wages as well. The point is that productivity keeps going up and yet the workers wages do not. In other words, not only have the lowly minimum wage workers earnings been stagnant but so has most every one elses been.

2. Amen DivineOb amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    2.7% make minimum or below minimum wage and that amounts to 2.2 million people. But minimum wage is only part of the problem, the minimum wage, which is to low to begin with, doesn't take into account all of those people who are making slightly more than minimum. And keeping the minimum wage rate low tends to lower everybody elses wages as well. The point is that productivity keeps going up and yet the workers wages do not. In other words, not only have the lowly minimum wage workers earnings been stagnant but so has most every one elses been.
    Most of whom, are under the age of 21 and around high school/college age. Last time I made min wage was when I was 18 and I know my military skills put me above 20 because that is what I’ve been told by employers. If you’re over the age of 30, it’s pretty unlikely you’re making min wage.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    It tells me that we expect more of our government over time.
    (ETA: Since I have to spell everything out.) And therefore we need to raise more money to fund those advancements.
    You forget, I work for the government and I will assure you they waste gobs of money that does little to nothing to help out the average citizen. I mean, the government had spent somewhere around a trillion dollars, over the past 50 years, on the war on poverty with very little change in the poverty line. The government has also spent around that much in the drug war, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. Have they eliminated drugs and terrorism yet?

Now answer my question. In your opinion would lowering the income tax on the 400 wealthiest down to 0% be "fair"?
    You haven’t told me how you came up with what ‘fair share’ means or what percentage is ‘fair’, so I see little point in answering your questions when you don’t answer mine with anything beyond your opinion.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    You forget, I work for the government and I will assure you they waste gobs of money that does little to nothing to help out the average citizen.
    Sure. I agree the war on some drugs and wars of choice do little to help the average citizen. Are Republicans or Democrats more responsible for those I wonder disingenuously.

I don't want to get into programs for the poor because I really don't know much about those. If we really have spent a trillion on that over 50 years then it sounds like a bargain compared to Bush's wars to enrich Cheney and blow up piles of sand.

Have they eliminated drugs and terrorism yet?
    No they haven't. Almost like that wasn't the goal.

You haven’t told me how you came up with what ‘fair share’ means or what percentage is ‘fair’, so I see little point in answering your questions when you don’t answer mine with anything beyond your opinion.
    I don't have to know exactly what is "fair" in order to be pretty sure about what is unfair. I do know that we are drowning in debt during "the best economy in history" because we are cutting taxes on the rich again and again. I also know that increasing taxes in California didn't scare the rich people away and we have had a budget surplus for years despite all the negative hype you hear about us.

If you're not satisfied with my opinion then I'm bowing out of this because I'm a computer scientist not a political scientist or economist.
    Last edited by DivineOb; 01-14-2020 at 08:59 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Er, DO, if you aren't sure what fair is, how do you know the existing system isn't already fair?

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Er, DO, if you aren't sure what fair is, how do you know the existing system isn't already fair?
    I don't know exactly what tax code would be the most fair. I do know that the current one is clearly unfairly letting the ultra rich freeload.
    Last edited by DivineOb; 01-14-2020 at 09:29 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't know exactly what tax code would be the most fair. I do know that the current one is clearly unfairly letting the ultra rich freeload.
    The tax code is written by rich politicians who look out for themselves.

Is it really so hard for Trump supporters to get this? I mean, you do think Trump is a brilliant Christian businessman
    I think a number of us have expressed concern that we either doubt he's a Christian, or are not really convinced that he is.

and not a broke money launderer who laughs at you rubes once the cameras are off so perhaps my expectations are just too darn high. But I like to shoot for the stars sometimes.
    I think you go too far with that "laughs at you rubes" nonsense. Are you really wanting an honest discussion, or is this simply your platform to express your extreme views?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

9. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    The tax code is written by rich politicians who look out for themselves.
    So, we agree then.

I edited my post. That was my bad. I thought 'rube' meant something else. No, I don't think that is the right term for people on this board. Sorry Tea, LPoT, and CP.

11. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So, we agree then.
    One of the reasons I'm for term limits. AND against people coming back to work as lobbyists. In fact, the whole lobbying thing is problematic.

I edited my post. That was my bad. I thought 'rube' meant something else. No, I don't think that is the right term for people on this board. Sorry Tea, LPoT, and CP.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So, we agree then.

No prob - wouldn't have seen it if not for CP's answer and even so, pencils have erasers for a reason. We're cool.