Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The blue-state exodus gains momentum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    The average American is paying around 24% of their income in taxes, so looks like the US is already in that good range.
    That would be of those who actually pay income taxes. Nearly half the people don't pay income taxes any more getting everything they put in during the year back -- with many getting more back than they paid (thanks to the Earned Income Tax Credit which in truth oughta be called the Unearned Income Tax program)

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      That would be of those who actually pay income taxes. Nearly half the people don't pay income taxes any more getting everything they put in during the year back -- with many getting more back than they paid (thanks to the Earned Income Tax Credit which in truth oughta be called the Unearned Income Tax program)
      According to Starlight, we need to get rid of those tax credits. It should make them so happy and you want them to be happy because we all like paying more taxes! Who doesn’t?
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        The blue-state exodus gains momentum

As is pointed out in the article, some of the people who are moving from the blue states to escape the idiotic governance and taxation are, oddly enough, bringing their same beliefs and support for that kind of crap to the red states.

Nine years ago I published a piece that asserted, “Voters around the country are concluding it’s better to be red than dead,” applying almost the exact opposite meaning to an old phrase referring to communism. New Census Bureau figures appear to confirm my prediction — mostly.

My point was that many voters were, and are, increasingly fed up with the high taxes, heavy regulations and increasing social wokeness that have come to characterize most blue states — i.e., those dominated by liberal politicians and policies.

I argued that voters wanting to live in a business-friendly, fiscally responsible state that minimizes its tax burden would either vote out the liberals destroying their state’s economy or flee to a red state. The latest Census Bureau report highlights the red-state shift.

According to an Election Data Services analysis of the Census Bureau report, “The population projections point toward a ten [congressional] seat change over 17 states across the nation by year 2020.”

Seven states are projected to gain one or more congressional seats after the 2020 election; 10 states are projected lose one seat.

The red-state leader is Texas, with a projected pickup of three congressional seats following the 2020 census — and that after gaining four congressional seats after the 2010 election. Florida will pick up two seats, and Arizona, Colorado, Montana, North Carolina and Oregon will each gain one, according to the analysis.

All 10 losing states — Alabama, California, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and West Virginia — lose only one seat.

Of the seven states gaining seats, five voted for Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential election. Of the 10 states losing seats, five voted for Trump and five for Hillary Clinton.

But two of those five losing states that voted for Trump — Michigan and Pennsylvania — surprised most analysts since they have been blue-leaners for several years. And West Virginia is losing population in part because of a struggling state economy that has been so dependent on coal.

Arguably, even some of the blue-state gainers may support my general point......

But that trend also highlights a problem: Some of the people fleeing destructive blue-state taxes and regulations appear to drag their pro-big-government philosophy with them — apparently oblivious to the fact that those policies destroyed the state they are trying to escape.
        Obviously they aren't moving to escape liberal policies as assumed in the post, if they're bringing those same beliefs with them.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Obviously they aren't moving to escape liberal policies as assumed in the post, if they're bringing those same beliefs with them.
          SOME of them are, according to the article. And they're not escaping the "policies", they're escaping the CRAP those policies have created.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Liberal policies did a good job turning my state into the capital of homelessness. I sure haven’t taken them with me.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Which of course explains why they are fleeing Calfiornivania in droves.
              if my family wasn't here I'd move myself to somewhere more conducive to liberty, Safety and Growth.

Comment

I hear conservatives complain about the poorer getting more out than they put in. Isn't that how government is supposed to work? If everyone got back what they put in then then we wouldn't need government and we could just pay for everything ourselves, right? Maybe you can enlighten me.

Regardless, the rich are clearly not taxed enough.

I really hate Twitter video for a million reasons, not the least of which is I can't embed them in my messages here. But take a quick look at that animation, it is quite eye opening.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                  I hear conservatives complain about the poorer getting more out than they put in. Isn't that how government is supposed to work? If everyone got back what they put in then then we wouldn't need government and we could just pay for everything ourselves, right? Maybe you can enlighten me.

I really hate Twitter video for a million reasons, not the least of which is I can't embed them in my messages here. But take a quick look at that animation, it is quite eye opening.
                  So you think that the government's purpose is to redistribute wealth.

Please tell me you don't vote.

And before you respond keep in mind that I contribute to charities (I use money orders so I don't incessantly get hounded for more), have worked feeding the hungry (spent more than one Thanksgiving working with Hosea Williams Feed the Hungry) and helped set up for the local Muscular Dystrophy Association during the telethons as well as contributed money to my church to assist a wide variety of causes.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Define ‘rich’ and define ‘not taxed enough’.
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Many moons back John Stossel interviewed Al Sharpton for ABC's 20/20 program and asked him just what percent of the total federal income taxes should the rich pay. Sharpton thought for a moment then declared that they should pay at least 15% of it. He was taken aback when Stossel informed him that at that time they were paying 34% of all federal income taxes.

Today just the top 1% pays over 37% of all income taxes collected by the federal government which is more than the bottom 90% combined does (30.5%).

Further, the top 10% pay 69% whereas bottom half pays roughly 3% of all income taxes paid.

Comment

My link speaks for itself. The animation is less than 10 seconds long.

Comment

So you think that the government's purpose is to redistribute wealth.

Please tell me you don't vote.

And before you respond keep in mind that I contribute to charities (I use money orders so I don't incessantly get hounded for more), have worked feeding the hungry (spent more than one Thanksgiving working with Hosea Williams Feed the Hungry) and helped set up for the local Muscular Dystrophy Association during the telethons as well as contributed money to my church to assist a wide variety of causes.
                          Can you define "wealth redistribution"? Then I'll give you my thoughts on it.

Also, please view the link I posted and give me your thoughts.

Comment

Can you define "wealth redistribution"? Then I'll give you my thoughts on it.

Also, please view the link I posted and give me your thoughts.
                            Taking from those that worked for it and giving it to others (usually for the purpose of gaining their support in order to maintain power/control).

Comment

Taking from those that worked for it and giving it to others (usually for the purpose of gaining their support in order to maintain power/control).
                              By that definition no, I do not think that is the purpose of government. Thanks for playing.

Comment

By that definition no, I do not think that is the purpose of government. Thanks for playing.
                                So then, how do you define it?

Comment