Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The burdensome Christianity?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

The burdensome Christianity?

JPII suggested we, as Christians, have a fourfold responsibility towards social evils in his Reconciliation et penitentia:

The personal sins of those who cause, support, or exploit evil

Those who are in apposition to a lid, limit, or at least limit certain social evils amd fail to do so out of
    laziness
    Fear
    Conspiracy of silence
    Secret complicity
    Indifference

Those who take refuge in the difficulty or futility in changing the world

Those who sidestep the effort and sacrifice required, producing specious reasons of a higher order

Do those make sense as being consistent with the faith? Are they unduly burdensome?

Any other thoughts, such as my low intelligence or my inadequacy as a Christian?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My immediate response is His yolk is easy and His burden light.
    (I don't believe God will never call us to do that which He does not equip us to do, and His Grace is sufficient)

I think, sometimes, we over-complicate the Christian life.

I like to try to focus on "be doers of the Word and not hearers only", and concentrate on the areas where I can actually have an impact.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Any other thoughts, such as my low intelligence or my inadequacy as a Christian?
    I think you can be a pain in the butt on occasion, but I have no reason to question either your intelligence or Christianity.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

4. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    JPII suggested we, as Christians, have a fourfold responsibility towards social evils in his Reconciliation et penitentia:

Those who are in apposition to a lid, limit, or at least limit certain social evils amd fail to do so out of
    laziness
    Fear
    Conspiracy of silence
    Secret complicity
    Indifference

Those who sidestep the effort and sacrifice required, producing specious reasons of a higher order

Do those make sense as being consistent with the faith? Are they unduly burdensome?

They are admirable goals we should all strive for. I don't think we always succeed though. But we are still forgiven.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

laziness
    Fear
    Conspiracy of silence
    Secret complicity
    Indifference

I think JPII is being unduly detailed here (which is not inconsistent with Roman Catholicism in general). IMO it is more helpful to look at things more broadly: don't do evil yourself (sins of commission), and try not to allow evil to occur when you could prevent it (sins of omission).
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

laziness
    Fear
    Conspiracy of silence
    Secret complicity
    Indifference

The interest in affecting government policies or stifling evil actions within society is anachronistic to the New Testament. The writings were done when it was even important to keep a low profile. For example, in Rom 13, Paul advised to pay the taxes.

Then we have a problem of consensus among Christians as to who the evildoers are in the community (or government). There are probably some things that happen in our proximity that we should respond to. There are some proverbs which advocate the promotion of justice ... and some passages about the defending of the widow and orphan

One thing that I recommend about helping others is that we should first make sure we help people in our church groups first. I think the requirement to love one another first falls on our relationships in the church. We shouldn't be helping everyone else in the world while neglecting those right around us.

Christians do seem to be motivated in many situations to promote corrections in laws. This is more of a natural response than a requirement.

8. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    The interest in affecting government policies or stifling evil actions within society is anachronistic to the New Testament. The writings were done when it was even important to keep a low profile. For example, in Rom 13, Paul advised to pay the taxes.

Then we have a problem of consensus among Christians as to who the evildoers are in the community (or government). There are probably some things that happen in our proximity that we should respond to. There are some proverbs which advocate the promotion of justice ... and some passages about the defending of the widow and orphan

One thing that I recommend about helping others is that we should first make sure we help people in our church groups first. I think the requirement to love one another first falls on our relationships in the church. We shouldn't be helping everyone else in the world while neglecting those right around us.

Christians do seem to be motivated in many situations to promote corrections in laws. This is more of a natural response than a requirement.
    How close do they need to be before we have some obligation as Christians?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I think JPII is being unduly detailed here (which is not inconsistent with Roman Catholicism in general). IMO it is more helpful to look at things more broadly: don't do evil yourself (sins of commission), and try not to allow evil to occur when you could prevent it (sins of omission).
    So do you really think not much needs be said about Jesus as reconciler of a shattered world?! That is what Reconciliatio et penitentia is about.

Is Christianity, and Christian ethics, meant to be kept to sayings fit for bumper sticker? I disagree strongly, even before I converted to Catholicism.

11. Amen oxmixmudd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So do you really think not much needs be said about Jesus as reconciler of a shattered world?! That is what Reconciliatio et penitentia is about.

Is Christianity, and Christian ethics, meant to be kept to sayings fit for bumper sticker? I disagree strongly, even before I converted to Catholicism.
    Why are you always come across so antagonistic? You asked a question, people answered it. Then you continue to berate them as if you were interrogating them in a police station.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The second point should read:

Those who are in a position to avoid, eliminate, or at least limit certain social evils bit who fail to do so out of laziness, fear, conspiracy of silence, complicity, or indifference