Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade in 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That's what I have loved about Dropbox. I keep ALL my data there - and make a new computer's "Drive D" the home for Dropbox. I save all my software downloads there, so when I set up a new computer, all I have to do is partition a Drive D and install Dropbox, then sit back and let it sync.

The newer version of Dropbox lets you sync selectively, so a whole bunch of stuff can stay in the cloud, but is only a click away.

So, first thing I do after setting up a new computer --- install Firefox, install Dropbox....
    Yeah dropbox is cool. and did you know it keeps a version history of each file? I messed up my quicken file, deleting an account. So I went to the file in dropbox, right clicked and chose "version history" and found an earlier version and restored it and it worked!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Yeah dropbox is cool. and did you know it keeps a version history of each file? I messed up my quicken file, deleting an account. So I went to the file in dropbox, right clicked and chose "version history" and found an earlier version and restored it and it worked!
      Yup..... It's great for when you're INTENDING to make a copy of an existing file, and you forget to "save as" another name --- you can always get the original file back.

We created free dropbox accounts for various rooms/purposes in our Church, and "share" the associated folders, so the secretary and I can save them in the shared folder, and those files show up in "Childrens' Church" or "Sound Board" or "Fellowship Hall" -- but only the files and folders pertinent to those locations.

When we do our PowerPoint for Sunday Morning, we can do that from home, and when the SoundGuys turn on the soundboard computer - they have the most updated copy.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Yup..... It's great for when you're INTENDING to make a copy of an existing file, and you forget to "save as" another name --- you can always get the original file back.

We created free dropbox accounts for various rooms/purposes in our Church, and "share" the associated folders, so the secretary and I can save them in the shared folder, and those files show up in "Childrens' Church" or "Sound Board" or "Fellowship Hall" -- but only the files and folders pertinent to those locations.

When we do our PowerPoint for Sunday Morning, we can do that from home, and when the SoundGuys turn on the soundboard computer - they have the most updated copy.
        I still use the free version, but I have like 13GB and am only using about 3gb right now. I just use it for backing up photos, my quicken file, and various files I share between work and my PCs at home. Every once in a while I will move the photos from dropbox to my NAS Photo share.

I use Acronis True Image to keep everything backed up on my PCs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I still use the free version, but I have like 13GB and am only using about 3gb right now. I just use it for backing up photos, my quicken file, and various files I share between work and my PCs at home. Every once in a while I will move the photos from dropbox to my NAS Photo share.

I use Acronis True Image to keep everything backed up on my PCs.
          I think I'm finally comfortable being able to wipe out a computer for a "fresh start" because I have Microsoft Office365, and several other apps that I use consistently, and ALL my DATA is on Dropbox, so I can afford to lose a hard drive and "start fresh".... I think my DropBox is 2T. And we're using about 30% of it.

Occasionally I'll move really old stuff to the free 1T OneDrive that comes with Office356. (I think they're calling it Microsoft365 now, don't know why)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            As much as I don't like Google being stuck with Bing for the time being is definitely worse.

(I wanna get my files from my external hard drive before changing preferences or adding software and at the moment I have other irons in the fire that need tending -- that and I tend to procrastinate)
            Was having increasing difficulties downloading or even locating images as well as copypasta-ing news articles so I switched back to Chrome.

I use to use Firefox but they kept adding more and more bars with links to this or that on to it that it actually covered half the screen

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

OK, so THIS is weird....

A friend from Church donated a Dell laptop to the Church, and asked me to "wipe it clean".
              I told him about my newfound "free install" of Win10, and told him I have NEVER - on the last 6 or 7 computers - had to supply a license number or authentication.

So, I booted this laptop (the one I'm on now) from the USB thumb drive with the Win10 install on it.
              When asked, I selected Win10 PRO, figuring I'd be fine buying the license if it came to that.

Did the install, allowed it to do its updates, then a window popped up informing me my copy of license was not authorized, and allowing me to click on a "troubleshoot" button.
              Clicked that, ran troubleshoot, it suggested I go to the Microsoft store and buy a license.
              I clicked that link, and before I could choose a license to purchase, another window popped up and said "Windows successfully authenticated".

I rebooted, checked my PC System information - Windows status - Activated.

Comment