Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade in 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Here's how to start Win7 in Safe Mode ---- basically, as soon as you turn on your computer, start tapping the F8 key until you get a startup screen.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-star...e-mode-2624540
    Ah, okay - I was going to try that in the morning.

Thanks!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Ah, okay - I was going to try that in the morning.

Thanks!
      I was SO happy with Win7Pro.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So, you can download the Media Creation Tool, but instead of "Upgrade this PC Now", you want to....

If you've downloaded the Media Creation Tool on the machine you plan to upgrade, and you plan to upgrade one and only one PC, you can choose the Upgrade this PC now option and be done with it.

If you're running the tool on a different PC, or if you just want more flexibility, choose the second option and save the installation files to a USB drive or as an ISO file.

After the download is complete, double-click the ISO file to mount it and open a File Explorer window; or, if you chose the option to create a bootable drive, open the USB flash drive in File Explorer and run Setup from there. Note that you cannot boot from the newly created USB drive or DVD to perform an upgrade. You must run the Windows 10 setup program from your currently installed and activated copy of Windows.

Then just follow the prompts to complete the upgrade. You will not be asked for a product key, and when the upgrade is complete and you've connected to the Internet, you'll have a digital license to Windows 10, which you can confirm by going to Settings > Update & Security > Activation.

The digital license is associated with that specific device, which means you can reformat the disk and perform a clean installation of the same edition of Windows 10 anytime. You won't need a product key, and activation is automatic.

Ah, WAIT!!!! After reading this gain, no joy! Lemme check something else.
        Thanks. I think that's it. I found this too:

Clean install of windows 10 OS on new SSD-best procedure for eliminating current windwos 10 OS on old hard drive
        Once you have the bootable installation media created:

Shut down your system. remove the old HDD and install the SSD (there should be only the SSD attached to your system during the installation process)
        Insert the Bootable Installation Media
        Go into your BIOS and if SATA Mode is not set to AHCI, change it
        Change the boot order so the Installation Media is top of the boot order
        Save changes to BIOS and Reboot your system
        The Installation should start
        During the installation process skip the steps which ask for a product key and select the option 'I am Reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC', and activation will not be an issue, your PC will have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Servers
        During the installation process, your system will reboot, at that point, you may need to go into your BIOS and change the boot order so your system boots from your Hard Drive, otherwise the installation may start all over again - do not remove the installation media at this point
        When Window 10 has finished installing and the desktop appears, shut your system down
        If you have a second HDD bay install the old HDD into it and start your system
        Make sure you can see both drives in Windows File Explorer, if not you may need to restart a couple of times for Windows to recognise both drives
        Install any required drivers (can be obtained from the support page on the Website of the manufacturer of your system
        When your system is up and running,
        copy your data (files, images, music . . . etc.) from the old HDD into a temporary folder in the SSD
        format the old HDD and name it Data Drive
        copy the files back onto the old HDD
        Delete the temporary folder from the SSD
        https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-0b053ce2d1c9

I bought this SSD:
        https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Thanks. I think that's it. I found this too:

Clean install of windows 10 OS on new SSD-best procedure for eliminating current windwos 10 OS on old hard drive
          Once you have the bootable installation media created:

Shut down your system. remove the old HDD and install the SSD (there should be only the SSD attached to your system during the installation process)
          Insert the Bootable Installation Media
          Go into your BIOS and if SATA Mode is not set to AHCI, change it
          Change the boot order so the Installation Media is top of the boot order
          Save changes to BIOS and Reboot your system
          The Installation should start
          During the installation process skip the steps which ask for a product key and select the option 'I am Reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC', and activation will not be an issue, your PC will have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Servers
          During the installation process, your system will reboot, at that point, you may need to go into your BIOS and change the boot order so your system boots from your Hard Drive, otherwise the installation may start all over again - do not remove the installation media at this point
          When Window 10 has finished installing and the desktop appears, shut your system down
          If you have a second HDD bay install the old HDD into it and start your system
          Make sure you can see both drives in Windows File Explorer, if not you may need to restart a couple of times for Windows to recognise both drives
          Install any required drivers (can be obtained from the support page on the Website of the manufacturer of your system
          When your system is up and running,
          copy your data (files, images, music . . . etc.) from the old HDD into a temporary folder in the SSD
          format the old HDD and name it Data Drive
          copy the files back onto the old HDD
          Delete the temporary folder from the SSD
          https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-0b053ce2d1c9

I bought this SSD:
          https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
          Yuh!!!!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Can get it into safe mode AND found product key!

Cannot stand long enough to watch it load - it is in start up repair by the time I get back.

But I'll have help Saturday so hopefully we'll get it running then.

And then upgrade to Win 10....
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Can get it into safe mode AND found product key!

Cannot stand long enough to watch it load - it is in start up repair by the time I get back.

But I'll have help Saturday so hopefully we'll get it running then.

And then upgrade to Win 10....
              Yeah, it's a LOT of waiting and rebooting and waiting....

Comment

So, I decided to use this downtime to clean up some of the PCs we have at Church - ones that have had multiple users, software installed and uninstalled, and just needed totally wiped and restored to new.

I did the download of the Windows installer onto USB drives, then did a clean install of the OS on... I think ... 5.. computers, anticipating I'd need to supply some kind of proof of license or something.

Every single computer accepted the brand new clean Win10 install, and when asked for a license (or authentication) I just checked "later" -- and when it was done installing, and I did several reboots to get the latest updates -- the "about this computer" showed that Windows was active and authenticated.

Comment

My new computer has Windows 10. I prefer Windows 7.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    My new computer has Windows 10. I prefer Windows 7.
                    I do too, which is why, after installing Win10, I install Classic Shell -- which, as I understand it, has now become Open Shell --- and I have my Win7 computer back!

Comment

I do too, which is why, after installing Win10, I install Classic Shell -- which, as I understand it, has now become Open Shell --- and I have my Win7 computer back!
                      I finally got used to windows 10 and now I like it better, functionally, including the start menu. But I still think visually, windows 7 looked better than 10's flat graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        I finally got used to windows 10 and now I like it better, functionally, including the start menu. But I still think visually, windows 7 looked better than 10's flat graphics.
                        I'm just glad there's an alternative, and that it works so well.

Comment

I'm just glad there's an alternative, and that it works so well.
                          As much as I don't like Google being stuck with Bing for the time being is definitely worse.

(I wanna get my files from my external hard drive before changing preferences or adding software and at the moment I have other irons in the fire that need tending -- that and I tend to procrastinate)

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

As much as I don't like Google being stuck with Bing for the time being is definitely worse.

(I wanna get my files from my external hard drive before changing preferences or adding software and at the moment I have other irons in the fire that need tending -- that and I tend to procrastinate)
                            That's what I have loved about Dropbox. I keep ALL my data there - and make a new computer's "Drive D" the home for Dropbox. I save all my software downloads there, so when I set up a new computer, all I have to do is partition a Drive D and install Dropbox, then sit back and let it sync.

The newer version of Dropbox lets you sync selectively, so a whole bunch of stuff can stay in the cloud, but is only a click away.

So, first thing I do after setting up a new computer --- install Firefox, install Dropbox....

Comment

That's what I have loved about Dropbox. I keep ALL my data there - and make a new computer's "Drive D" the home for Dropbox. I save all my software downloads there, so when I set up a new computer, all I have to do is partition a Drive D and install Dropbox, then sit back and let it sync.

The newer version of Dropbox lets you sync selectively, so a whole bunch of stuff can stay in the cloud, but is only a click away.

So, first thing I do after setting up a new computer --- install Firefox, install Dropbox....
                              Given my general ineptness with a computer that sounds beyond my capabilities unless provided with detailed but extremely simple to follow step-by-step instructions (pictures/illustrations would also help )

Now, if you want someone to show you how to construct a burning bar/thermite lance in around 15 minutes or create an improvised recoilless rifle using the rear axle from an old Ford truck for the barrel... I'm your man.

Comment

Given my general ineptness with a computer that sounds beyond my capabilities unless provided with detailed but extremely simple to follow step-by-step instructions (pictures/illustrations would also help )
                                Dropbox just acts like another file folder on Windows - but mirrors everything to the cloud. I love it because, even when I'm at somebody's office away from my own computer, I can still access all of my data.

Now, if you want someone to show you how to construct a burning bar/thermite lance in around 15 minutes or create an improvised recoilless rifle using the rear axle from an old Ford truck for the barrel... I'm your man.
                                I'll... um..... keep that in mind.

Comment