Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade in 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    Even a gaming PC with very powerful hardware is now cheaper to buy than to build. At least it was for me with the parts I wanted. Still expensive, but I can play most new stuff with medium/high settings. Depending on how all out they went in the graphics department.
    The only reason to build your own today is to max everything out: best memory, best graphics, etc.

I don't play games that much. I do a lot of video editing and converting though. My current PC is a an HP Z800 with an Intel Zeon 6 core processor. The video card is a Quadro 400 (good for general purpose stuff and graphics).

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      The only reason to build your own today is to max everything out: best memory, best graphics, etc.

I don't play games that much. I do a lot of video editing and converting though. My current PC is a an HP Z800 with an Intel Zeon 6 core processor. The video card is a Quadro 400 (good for general purpose stuff and graphics).
      After saving up for years I wanted as close as I could reasonably get to the best. I have an RTX 2070, and a Ryzen 7 2700. It is serving me quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        By the way, I HATE the Win10 menu structure crapola thing, so I use Classic Shell (now called Open Shell) to get that Win7 menu experience.

You can configure it how you'd like...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42174[/ATTACH]

And (since their website is not the best, and it might be difficult to find) download the installation package here.
        I used something like that for a while. Stardock's Start 10. But then I got used to the windows 10 interface because I have to use it at work. Now I think I like it better. Its like having icons on your desktop but they only show up when you open the menu. and you still have the menu stuff on the side.

Comment

After saving up for years I wanted as close as I could reasonably get to the best. I have an RTX 2070, and a Ryzen 7 2700. It is serving me quite well.
          Yeah, the PC I was talking about putting windows 10 on, I built back in 2009 and maxed everything out. Then updated the graphics card in 2011. Of course what was maxed out then is low-end today (2Ghz dual core Pentium, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 2 TB hard drive) but it sure lasted a long time. I usually try to build or buy the highest end stuff I can afford when it comes to electronics so it will last longer before becoming obsolete.

Comment

uh what? You have it installed but they are not running it?
            They all came with Windows 7 or 8, long before 10 was heard of. I temporarily updated them to 10 and then reverted them back to their respective originals.
            ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Even a gaming PC with very powerful hardware is now cheaper to buy than to build. At least it was for me with the parts I wanted. Still expensive, but I can play most new stuff with medium/high settings. Depending on how all out they went in the graphics department.
              Yeah, there was a market for that, so it got filled pretty quickly, and you can pretty much buy "off the shelf" whatever fancy stuff you want.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                They all came with Windows 7 or 8, long before 10 was heard of. I temporarily updated them to 10 and then reverted them back to their respective originals.
                I believe that the Windows 10 installation is deleted after so long when you do that, isn't it?

Comment

I believe that the Windows 10 installation is deleted after so long when you do that, isn't it?
                  My understanding is that once it is activated on any given machine, it will always activate again on that same machine for any subsequent installations. That was my whole point of doing it.
                  ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                    My understanding is that once it is activated on any given machine, it will always activate again on that same machine for any subsequent installations. That was my whole point of doing it.
                    Because, as I understand it, the OS "weds" itself to the motherboard.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Thank you!

Colds and flu sometimes hit me hard. This may have been the worst ever. I live alone, and a few of my coughing fits in the first ten days were literally scary. (Plus the standard array of other flu symptoms.) I'm mostly over it now. Still not much stamina, plus what teh interwebz tells me is "post viral cough," which can last several weeks.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Because, as I understand it, the OS "weds" itself to the motherboard.
                        For a moment I thought you said the OS wets itself.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                          For a moment I thought you said the OS wets itself.
                          I've not had that happen so far, but it's Microsoft, so....

Comment

And it's possible that the updated upgrade tool fixed some of those problems with hardware compatibility. I had one old desktop that would NOT upgrade to Win10 last summer, but it smoothly upgraded a week ago.
                            Well I am now installing Windows 10 on the PC. It said everything was OK except I had to uninstall Windows Media Center and Security Essentials before installing. I am trying to install it remotely, using Teamvewer, so I don't know how that will go. If there are any glitches I might have to wait till I get home to fix them. Or if Teamplayer doesn't start back up after the install.

Comment

Well I am now installing Windows 10 on the PC. It said everything was OK except I had to uninstall Windows Media Center and Security Essentials before installing. I am trying to install it remotely, using Teamvewer, so I don't know how that will go. If there are any glitches I might have to wait till I get home to fix them. Or if Teamplayer doesn't start back up after the install.
                              It has to reboot several times during install --- will Teamviewer reconnect, or allow you to reconnect each time?

It installs chunks of itself, then has to reboot to that bootstrap, then continue installing...

Comment

It has to reboot several times during install --- will Teamviewer reconnect, or allow you to reconnect each time?

It installs chunks of itself, then has to reboot to that bootstrap, then continue installing...
                                Well it has been disconnected from teamviewer for about an hour now. I am not sure if teamviewer will start up automatically once windows 10 is installed or not. I will give it another hour or so.

Comment