Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade in 2020

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    I have an older computer that runs Win 7 and presently gets stuck trying to fix start up. I don't have a recovery disc of Win 7 (working on that) but since I'm planning on a system restore anyway, could a Win 10 work? We were planning to upgrade to Win 10 anyway.
    Will your Win7 boot up and connect to the internet? If so, and your hardware passes minimum requirements, you should be able to upgrade for free. Maybe booting up in safe mode?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I can check, but I think there's actually a download where you can make a flash-drive an install source, and you could set your BIOS to "boot from USB", no?

Lemme check.
    That's how I installed it on my new computer. My motherboard was even smart enough to detect it and automatically set the boot sequence to USB first.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Will your Win7 boot up and connect to the internet? If so, and your hardware passes minimum requirements, you should be able to upgrade for free. Maybe booting up in safe mode?
    No, it goes into start up repair even if I tell it to start normally. I found something about hitting F8 to get to repair that I haven't tried yet. Don't know how to try safe mode - it wasn't an option on the 'windows didn't start normally' screen.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No, it goes into start up repair even if I tell it to start normally. I found something about hitting F8 to get to repair that I haven't tried yet. Don't know how to try safe mode - it wasn't an option on the 'windows didn't start normally' screen.
    Here's how to start Win7 in Safe Mode ---- basically, as soon as you turn on your computer, start tapping the F8 key until you get a startup screen.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-star...e-mode-2624540
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

5. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Update:

After running for a few weeks, the old PC gave up the ghost. At first I thought it was the CPU fan because it wouldn't start and without it running the mobo won't boot. It has happened before, so I had a spare and replaced it. Still nothing. I eventually came to the conclusion that the motherboard was bad.

So I ended up buying a new motherboard (ASROCKS X470 SLI/AC) and an AMD Ryzen 3 3200G CPU, and of course I had to buy new memory too. I spent about $300 total.

Then I spent all day yesterday putting it together. I had it all installed and everything hooked up and when I turned it on, Nothing! Crap! I checked everything, it all looked good. Reseated the memory. Still nothing.

So I had to take everything apart and remove the motherboard from the case to get the CPU off (the stupid fan screws into a plate on the bottom of the mobo so once you take off the fan, the plate drops down and you can't reattach the fan unless you can hold the plate in place, which means removing the motherboard)

I stuck some glue on the stupid plate so it will remain attached to the mobo the next time I have to take off the fan and not have to remove the motherboard next time.

Anyhoo, I took off the CPU, all the pins looked fine, it was in the correct orientation, so I put it all back together, reassembled the whole thing again, and turned it on. and it worked!!!

So then I had to reactivate windows 10 again, and install all the new drivers. Then I decided to do a backup of the whole thing using Acronis. Halfway through the backup, it complains about a bad sector on the HDD. AARRRRGH! so I ran some checks and it looks like the hard drive is failing.

Now, I just ordered a new drive. Went ahead and got one of those NVMe SSDs. they look like a memory stick. 512K. It was only $64. Man, the SSD prices have really dropped.

So next weekend when I have time, I will probably to a fresh windows 10 install on the SSD. There wasn't that much on the old one in the way of programs or data anyway, so better to start fresh.

So how do you do a fresh install of windows 10?
    So, you can download the Media Creation Tool, but instead of "Upgrade this PC Now", you want to....

If you've downloaded the Media Creation Tool on the machine you plan to upgrade, and you plan to upgrade one and only one PC, you can choose the Upgrade this PC now option and be done with it.

If you're running the tool on a different PC, or if you just want more flexibility, choose the second option and save the installation files to a USB drive or as an ISO file.

After the download is complete, double-click the ISO file to mount it and open a File Explorer window; or, if you chose the option to create a bootable drive, open the USB flash drive in File Explorer and run Setup from there. Note that you cannot boot from the newly created USB drive or DVD to perform an upgrade. You must run the Windows 10 setup program from your currently installed and activated copy of Windows.

Then just follow the prompts to complete the upgrade. You will not be asked for a product key, and when the upgrade is complete and you've connected to the Internet, you'll have a digital license to Windows 10, which you can confirm by going to Settings > Update & Security > Activation.

The digital license is associated with that specific device, which means you can reformat the disk and perform a clean installation of the same edition of Windows 10 anytime. You won't need a product key, and activation is automatic.

Ah, WAIT!!!! After reading this gain, no joy! Lemme check something else.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Here's how to start Win7 in Safe Mode ---- basically, as soon as you turn on your computer, start tapping the F8 key until you get a startup screen.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-star...e-mode-2624540
    Ah, okay - I was going to try that in the morning.

Thanks!

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Ah, okay - I was going to try that in the morning.

Thanks!
    I was SO happy with Win7Pro.

9. Amen Teallaura, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So, you can download the Media Creation Tool, but instead of "Upgrade this PC Now", you want to....

If you've downloaded the Media Creation Tool on the machine you plan to upgrade, and you plan to upgrade one and only one PC, you can choose the Upgrade this PC now option and be done with it.

If you're running the tool on a different PC, or if you just want more flexibility, choose the second option and save the installation files to a USB drive or as an ISO file.

After the download is complete, double-click the ISO file to mount it and open a File Explorer window; or, if you chose the option to create a bootable drive, open the USB flash drive in File Explorer and run Setup from there. Note that you cannot boot from the newly created USB drive or DVD to perform an upgrade. You must run the Windows 10 setup program from your currently installed and activated copy of Windows.

Then just follow the prompts to complete the upgrade. You will not be asked for a product key, and when the upgrade is complete and you've connected to the Internet, you'll have a digital license to Windows 10, which you can confirm by going to Settings > Update & Security > Activation.

The digital license is associated with that specific device, which means you can reformat the disk and perform a clean installation of the same edition of Windows 10 anytime. You won't need a product key, and activation is automatic.

Ah, WAIT!!!! After reading this gain, no joy! Lemme check something else.
    Thanks. I think that's it. I found this too:

Clean install of windows 10 OS on new SSD-best procedure for eliminating current windwos 10 OS on old hard drive
    Once you have the bootable installation media created:

Shut down your system. remove the old HDD and install the SSD (there should be only the SSD attached to your system during the installation process)
    Insert the Bootable Installation Media
    Go into your BIOS and if SATA Mode is not set to AHCI, change it
    Change the boot order so the Installation Media is top of the boot order
    Save changes to BIOS and Reboot your system
    The Installation should start
    During the installation process skip the steps which ask for a product key and select the option 'I am Reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC', and activation will not be an issue, your PC will have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Servers
    During the installation process, your system will reboot, at that point, you may need to go into your BIOS and change the boot order so your system boots from your Hard Drive, otherwise the installation may start all over again - do not remove the installation media at this point
    When Window 10 has finished installing and the desktop appears, shut your system down
    If you have a second HDD bay install the old HDD into it and start your system
    Make sure you can see both drives in Windows File Explorer, if not you may need to restart a couple of times for Windows to recognise both drives
    Install any required drivers (can be obtained from the support page on the Website of the manufacturer of your system
    When your system is up and running,
    copy your data (files, images, music . . . etc.) from the old HDD into a temporary folder in the SSD
    format the old HDD and name it Data Drive
    copy the files back onto the old HDD
    Delete the temporary folder from the SSD
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-0b053ce2d1c9

I bought this SSD:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Thanks. I think that's it. I found this too:

Clean install of windows 10 OS on new SSD-best procedure for eliminating current windwos 10 OS on old hard drive
    Once you have the bootable installation media created:

Shut down your system. remove the old HDD and install the SSD (there should be only the SSD attached to your system during the installation process)
    Insert the Bootable Installation Media
    Go into your BIOS and if SATA Mode is not set to AHCI, change it
    Change the boot order so the Installation Media is top of the boot order
    Save changes to BIOS and Reboot your system
    The Installation should start
    During the installation process skip the steps which ask for a product key and select the option 'I am Reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC', and activation will not be an issue, your PC will have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Servers
    During the installation process, your system will reboot, at that point, you may need to go into your BIOS and change the boot order so your system boots from your Hard Drive, otherwise the installation may start all over again - do not remove the installation media at this point
    When Window 10 has finished installing and the desktop appears, shut your system down
    If you have a second HDD bay install the old HDD into it and start your system
    Make sure you can see both drives in Windows File Explorer, if not you may need to restart a couple of times for Windows to recognise both drives
    Install any required drivers (can be obtained from the support page on the Website of the manufacturer of your system
    When your system is up and running,
    copy your data (files, images, music . . . etc.) from the old HDD into a temporary folder in the SSD
    format the old HDD and name it Data Drive
    copy the files back onto the old HDD
    Delete the temporary folder from the SSD
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-0b053ce2d1c9

I bought this SSD:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Yuh!!!!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Can get it into safe mode AND found product key!

Cannot stand long enough to watch it load - it is in start up repair by the time I get back.

But I'll have help Saturday so hopefully we'll get it running then.

And then upgrade to Win 10....

My Personal Blog