Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The conspiracy to harm Marie Yovanovitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    Politics. A personal affair, to my knowledge, would not be sufficient grounds to fire Strzok, nor do I believe it factored into DOJ's rationale for his termination. The IG report, finding no proof of bias affecting the FBI investigation of Trump associates and the campaign, uncovered similarly improper texts from other FBI agents -- these discussing volunteering for an investigation into the Clinton Foundation, cheering Trump's election, and implying that anti-Trump personnel would have to be out looking for new jobs.

--Sam
    The massive difference is he was actually working the case directly related to his bias. Were those pro-Trump agents involved in any way on a case against Hillary?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Strock (hooked on phonics) and Page were having their extramarital affair (I believe Strock's wife found out about it by looking at his highly classified phone ) was definitely a problem, but I think the complaint was that there were Pro-Trump FBI agents who were texting each other, and they didn't get their hannies swatted.

I think a big difference would be observing that you approve of somebody (cheering them on?) vs. actually working to STOP somebody.
      I still think the affair was a cover story for why they were talking so openly about the infamous "insurance policy", because there's nothing in the texts I've seen that suggests anything other than a professional relationship. Nothing like "I had a great time with you last night" or similar (unless all those were redacted?).
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

From the FBI's official response to the IG report, contained IN the IG report...

(forgive the apparent formatting problems - I copy/pasted directly from the source, and didn't want to 'doctor' it for readability out of concern I might accidentally change the intent - bolding mine)

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) appreciates the OIU ' s crucial independent oversight role and the thoroughness and professionalism your office brought to this work. The Repor1·s findings and recommendations !'\:present constructive criticism that will make us stronger as an organization. We also appreciate the Report' s recognition that the FBI cooperated fully wilh this review and provided broad and timely access to all information requested by the OIG, including highly classified and sensitive material involving national security . The Report concludes that the FBl' s Crossfire Hurricane investigation and related investigations of cL'T1llin individuals were opened in 2016 for an authorized purpose and with adequate factual predication. The Report also details instances in which certain FBI personnel. at t imes during the 2016-2017 period reviewed by the OJG, did oot comply with existing policies. neglected to exercise appropriate diligence. or otherwise failed to meet the standard o f conduct that the FBI expects of i\5 employees -and that our country expects of the FBI. We are vested with significant authorities. and it is our obligation as public servants to ensure that these authorities are exercised with objectivity and integrity. Anything less falls short of the FBI's duty to the American people......

There were a lot of screw-ups significant enough to warrant reforms.
        The question we were working off of, as I understand it, was whether Stzrok took improper steps in his investigative capacity to "stop" Trump from being elected president. There is no argument that FBI practices could benefit from reforms or that personnel acted to the ethical standard of the FBI.

--Sam
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
          The massive difference is he was actually working the case directly related to his bias. Were those pro-Trump agents involved in any way on a case against Hillary?
          That's a difference but not a massive difference when it comes to disciplinary action for improper conduct, given no actual professional malfeasance was found. And if those agents were not disciplined at all while Stzrok was disciplined beyond his superiors' recommendations, he's got a decent case.

--Sam
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            I still think the affair was a cover story for why they were talking so openly about the infamous "insurance policy", because there's nothing in the texts I've seen that suggests anything other than a professional relationship. Nothing like "I had a great time with you last night" or similar (unless all those were redacted?).
            The DOJ would have had to been complicit, MM....

Peter Strzok’s wife discovered Lisa Page affair on his phone, DOJ reveals

Former FBI special agent Peter Strzok’s wife discovered his affair with FBI lawyer Lisa Page on his phone in 2017, the Justice Department revealed in its response to his claims he was wrongfully fired.

The department filed a 151-page motion to dismiss the wrongful termination lawsuit Strzok filed in August, with the DOJ arguing Strzok betrayed the trust placed in him as a leader at the FBI as he helped lead high-profile investigations related to Hillary Clinton’s illicit private email server and any connections between the Trump campaign and Russia.

Strzok’s affair with Page was cited in a newly public 26-page letter sent by the FBI’s Candice Will, assistant director at the Office of Professional Responsibility, to Strzok in August 2018, attached as an exhibit to the DOJ’s filing. Will recommended Strzok be demoted and suspended for 60 days without pay, but FBI Deputy Director David Bowdich overruled her. The FBI fired Strzok the next day.

Will harshly criticized, among many things, the hundreds of Strzok-Page texts showing political bias against Trump and in favor of Clinton.

“The lapses in judgment embodied in those messages and others like them risked undermining public confidence in two of the Bureau’s highest-profile investigations,” the DOJ told the court on Monday. “And even more broadly, those lapses in judgment risked damaging the public trust in the FBI as a nonpartisan, even-handed, and effective law enforcement institution — trust that is essential to the FBI’s ability to vigorously enforce the nation’s laws without fear or favor.”

Those texts “cast a pall over the FBI’s Clinton email and Russia investigations and the work of the special counsel,” Will wrote. Strzok was removed from Mueller’s team in 2017 because of the texts.

Will also noted “security violations” stemming from Strzok and Page using personal devices to conduct FBI business, which Will noted was “replete with irony given the FBI’s criticism of Clinton for having done so.”

She also cited “dereliction of supervisory responsibility” by Strzok in prioritizing the Trump-Russia investigation over the Clinton investigation and his slow-walking of the review of Clinton aide Huma Abedin’s emails found in late September 2016 on the laptop of her husband, disgraced former New York Rep. Anthony Weiner.

“Your inaction contributed to a substantial investigative error and significantly tarnished the integrity of the bureau,” Will told Strzok.

There are even a few morsels in there for Sam.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              It always reminds me of the old saying about how even the devil can quote Scripture.
              Or Prov. 26:7, 9
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                Or Prov. 26:7, 9
                And even the devil can point to that.
                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                  Texts released yesterday reveal

Newly-published text exchanges involving Rudy Giuliani's associate Lev Parnas show him discussing efforts to stalk former US ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch, and refer to her bluntly as 'that [female dog]'. (DO's edit)

The conversations back up Yovanovitch's testimony, showing Parnas and his associates plotting to "get rid" of her.

Hyde later sent several texts suggesting he was keeping tabs on Yovanovitch in Ukraine, adding, "They are willing to help if we/you would like a price."

At the end of March, Hyde texted Parnas updating him on Yovanovitch's location and the state of her security.

He followed up saying how they "have a person inside."

Parnas replied: "She's not a simple fool, trust me. But she's not getting away."

And don't forget that Lev worked for Rudy who was acting as Trump's personal attorney on Ukraine matters.

I'd like to hear anyone give a benign and not ad hoc interpretation of these. Rereading them still sends chills down my spine.
                  According to Parnas, this guy Hyde, in his opinion, was some kind of a nut. He allegedly didn't take Hyde seriously, but went along with whatever he would text him about just to placate him. Hyde has since implicated yet another person, claiming that he was only relaying to Parnas messages that he was getting from this other person. The beat goes on.

But Parnas said, the President was trying to get rid of Yovanovitch, in fact he tried to fire her muliple times but each time something went wrong and it didn't work out. The first time Trump tried, he was told he had to wait until Pompeo was sworn in as secretary of state, the second time, Pompeo apparently didn't follow through with the order to fire her.

After failing to fire her she was finally told that her security was at risk and that she had to leave Ukraine immediately. I don't think that the nature of the risk to her has yet been made known. Perhaps if the person or people who made that assessment and called her home were subpoenaed we could find out what the nature of the risk to her was. Do you think Senate republicans might want to know what that was all about?
                  Last edited by JimL; 01-18-2020, 01:14 AM.

Comment

• Ukraine's foreign ministers says he doesn't believe a single word coming out of Parnas' mouth.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...is-now-saying/
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Ukraine's foreign ministers says he doesn't believe a single word coming out of Parnas' mouth.

Obviously he's covering for Trump.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Ukraine's foreign ministers says he doesn't believe a single word coming out of Parnas' mouth.

Ooooops.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ooooops.
                          Everything Parnas says should be considered with extreme skepticism unless and until documentary evidence supports it.

On the other side of the coin, documentary evidence produced by DOJ and ordered released to Congress by a judge should be considered credible unless rebutted by other documentary evidence.

So far, a whole lot of people on both sides have failed to walk that line.

--Sam

Comment

• Relevant to this thread, the Parnas texts detail a plan to surveil and possibly harm a US ambassador while Parnas' claim to reporters is that he and others were just having some fun.

Not sure folks here have thought through the implications of discounting what Parnas says now as unreliable.

--Sam

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                              Everything Parnas says should be considered with extreme skepticism unless and until documentary evidence supports it.

On the other side of the coin, documentary evidence produced by DOJ and ordered released to Congress by a judge should be considered credible unless rebutted by other documentary evidence.

So far, a whole lot of people on both sides have failed to walk that line.

--Sam
                              If the Democrats had started this process in other than an incredibly partisan manner - with actual facts instead of wild accusations, and a parade of "smoking guns" that turn out to be duds, we wouldn't be where we are now.

The Democrats ran their sham impeachment process in a completely partisan manner - the only BIPARTISANSHIP being the Democrats who voted no - and now they demand the Republicans to "be fair".

The DEPTHS to which the Democrats have to stoop in order to....

Note to self: waste of time.

Comment

If the Democrats had started this process in other than an incredibly partisan manner - with actual facts instead of wild accusations, and a parade of "smoking guns" that turn out to be duds, we wouldn't be where we are now.

The Democrats ran their sham impeachment process in a completely partisan manner - the only BIPARTISANSHIP being the Democrats who voted no - and now they demand the Republicans to "be fair".

The DEPTHS to which the Democrats have to stoop in order to....

Note to self: waste of time.
                                So long as your mental state constantly reverts back to "Well, if the DEMOCRATS hadn't ...", you're not in any frame of mind to make objective determinations of truth and fact.

--Sam

Comment