Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The conspiracy to harm Marie Yovanovitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse any more than necessary but Kent was relating what others had told him as he candidly acknowledged. IOW, hearsay. And often hearsay several times removed.

He testified that his information was not based on first hand knowledge but was based upon what William Taylor (who testified that he had no first hand knowledge) told him and Taylor in turn said he heard it from Tim Morrison (who also testified that he has no first hand knowledge) who in turn got his gossip from Gordon Sondland. So you have Kent testifying about what Taylor said, which was based on what Morrison may or may not have said, based upon what Sondland assumed and guessed.
    v. h/t Sam
    ... conversation between former special envoy for Ukraine Kurt Volker, diplomat Bill Taylor and the Ukrainian president's top aide Andriy Yermak on Sept. 14.

Volker didn’t allow Kent to participate in this meeting, but Kent got a readout from Taylor the next morning.

... which says Kent got it in a read-out directly from Taylor, who was in the meeting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
      v. h/t Sam
      ... conversation between former special envoy for Ukraine Kurt Volker, diplomat Bill Taylor and the Ukrainian president's top aide Andriy Yermak on Sept. 14.

Volker didn’t allow Kent to participate in this meeting, but Kent got a readout from Taylor the next morning.

... which says Kent got it in a read-out directly from Taylor, who was in the meeting.
      So in this particular instance he only got his information second hand and not third or fourth. Maybe people should be asking Taylor then rather than relying on Kent.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
        I much prefer the Bible:
        I'm using the tag to see if it disappears when I quote this post.

Scripture Verse: 1 Peter 3:15-16

But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.

© Copyright Original Source

ETA: Yep, still there, unlike the quote tags.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        That's why I've been so polite to you, Charles. You're my hero.

(By the way, I 'fixed' your Bible citation using the "verse" tags. Isn't that sharp looking? Except where I closed it wrong?)
        I steer clear of cite tags because they don't let me nest links, and because the line spacing goes funky.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        You only "prefer" it in so far as it serves your purpose of hypocritically beating Christians over the head and not because you take the gospel to heart and live your life accordingly. For example, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, you do not "revere Christ as Lord" as commanded by scripture.
        There's a valid caution in there.

When a non-adherent uses someone else's sacred text hoping to spur agreement, it's a trap, and it's not an honest trap, either. We're using it knowing full well the adherent believes it because, e.g., the Bible says so. At the same time, as non-adherents, our position is that, e.g. the Bible got it right, this time.

Specifically, because it exemplified something we knew was true for independent reasons, most certainly not because, e.g., the Bible says so. "Because I said so" isn't a good reason to believe something. We shouldn't encourage it. It gives a tactical advantage that can only lead to a Pyrrhic victory.

But, fwiw, I believe the Bible got it right on this one, because it reiterates the common experience, "You catch more flies with honey ...," while adding a fillip of its own to spur on the unreconstructed who need the motivation of making their opponents, " ... ashamed of their slander."

That's a good construction.

Well done, author of 1 Peter, whoever you were.

Comment

• I saw what you did there, CP. And I approve, ironically enough, of both the post that was deleted, and the decision to delete it.

Color me suitably impressed.

Comment

I saw what you did there, CP. And I approve, ironically enough, of both the post that was deleted, and the decision to delete it.

Color me suitably impressed.
            As much as I hate to admit it, it's times like these when I can actually imagine sitting and having a cup of coffee with you.

Just don't tell anybody.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I'm jealous of your perfect hair.
              Every thread on TWeb.

Sheesh.

For all y'all sleuths out there ... it was a complimentary acknowledgment, which was cool, stated negatively, which wasn't cool, and then deleted, (I'm guessing because it was stated negatively), which was also cool.
              Last edited by Juvenal; 01-19-2020, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Every thread on TWeb.

Sheesh.

For all y'all sleuths out there ... it was a complimentary acknowledgment, which was cool, stated negatively, which wasn't cool, and then deleted, (I'm guessing because it was stated negatively), which was also cool.
                Careful juvie, I think me little older twin brudder from anudder mudder might be planning to "Michael Corleone" you.

If y'all do meet for coffee, naturally on neutral ground of some restaurant and/or coffee shop, he'll retrieve an electric razor planted beforehand in the bathroom.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Not to beat a dead horse any more than necessary but Kent was relating what others had told him as he candidly acknowledged. IOW, hearsay. And often hearsay several times removed.

He testified that his information was not based on first hand knowledge but was based upon what William Taylor (who testified that he had no first hand knowledge) told him and Taylor in turn said he heard it from Tim Morrison (who also testified that he has no first hand knowledge) who in turn got his gossip from Gordon Sondland. So you have Kent testifying about what Taylor said, which was based on what Morrison may or may not have said, based upon what Sondland assumed and guessed.
                  By all means, you could ask Taylor; he hasn't refuted Kent's account of that meeting. He also testified to Yermak being aware of the administration's demand to investigate Burisma on August 16, had a direct conversation about the withheld security aid with Yermak on August 29, was informed about Sondland's quid quo pro message by Morrison on September 1 and, famously now, sent an incredulous text to Sondland about tying security aid to a political campaign on Sept. 9. Taylor relates throughout his testimony how Yermak heard from both Volker and Sondland about how the White House wanted Zelensky to announce investigations and how that needed to be done to get the wheels greased.

But, while we're here, the point is not just that Kent said something. It's that Taylor memorialized the conversation in a contemporaneous record. Those contemporaneous documents are highly valued in a legal dispute. Because, for example, while Yermak might be able to claim that he didn't have a particular meeting with Sondland in a particular manner, there is contemporaneous evidence that he had talked to Sondland about the quid pro quo, despite what inference people are taking from his current statements.

--Sam
                  "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Still the fact that Marie Yovanovitch was harmed or her testifying to her great hurt does not qualify as an impeachable offense.

Comment