Thread: Warren vs Sanders

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Warren vs Sanders

The Hill

A CNN debate moderator is coming under criticism for asking Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) what she thought when Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) reportedly told her that a woman could not win the presidential election, seconds after Sanders flatly denied he ever told Warren such a thing.

The different accounts from Sanders and Warren of the conversation at their December 2018 meeting was a highlight of Tuesday night’s debate.

CNN moderator Abby Phillip raised the issue about an hour into the two-hour debate, asking Sanders about CNN’s report of the conversation.

“Sen. Sanders, CNN reported yesterday, and Sen. Warren confirmed in a statement, that in 2018 you told her that you did not believe that a woman could win the election. Why did you say that?” Phillips asked Sanders.

“Well, as a matter of fact, I didn’t say it,” Sanders responded.

“I don’t want to waste a whole lot of time on this, because this is what Donald Trump and maybe some of the media want. Anybody knows me knows that it’s incomprehensible that I would think that a woman cannot be president of the United States," Sanders replied. “Go to YouTube today. There’s a video of me 30 years ago talking about how a woman could become president of the United States.”

“So Sen. Sanders, I do want to be clear here,” Phillip followed up, “you’re saying that you never told Sen. Warren that a woman could not win the election?”

“That is correct,” Sanders said.

Phillip then turned to Warren, who on Monday night released a statement that corroborated with CNN’s account of the meeting. In the statement, Warren said she had disagreed with Sanders on the subject of whether a woman could win the presidency.

“Sen. Warren, what did you think when Sen. Sanders told you a woman could not win the election?” Phillip asked Warren.

I don't know which is more intriguing to me. That Warren and Sanders are duking it out when all the progressives dreamed of a Warren/Sanders ticket.

Or the fact that CNN clearly showed its bias against Sanders for all the world to see during the debates, which could spark suspicion among his supporters that the DNC establishment is once again conspiring against his nomination.

I think the former makes me amused and the latter makes me kind of elated for 2020 in favor of the GOP.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I saw that part of the debate and didn't think that the moderator was necessarily trying to be biased against Sanders with the “Sen. Warren, what did you think when Sen. Sanders told you a woman could not win the election?” (right after Sanders had thoroughly denied the claim). I mean, she could have been, but when watching it seemed fairly clear to me that asking the question like that was meant to be done as a joke.

It was kind of dumb to ask it like that (the proper thing to do would be to ask Warren if she is still claiming that Sanders made the comment), but I think it was more likely a misguided attempt at comedy than actual bias.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The establishment, DNC, and MSM have been at war with progressives since forever. They'd vastly prefer Republicans to win than progressives.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraceth View Post
    I saw that part of the debate and didn't think that the moderator was necessarily trying to be biased against Sanders with the “Sen. Warren, what did you think when Sen. Sanders told you a woman could not win the election?” (right after Sanders had thoroughly denied the claim). I mean, she could have been, but when watching it seemed fairly clear to me that asking the question like that was meant to be done as a joke.

It was kind of dumb to ask it like that (the proper thing to do would be to ask Warren if she is still claiming that Sanders made the comment), but I think it was more likely a misguided attempt at comedy than actual bias.
    I think what matters is what the Sanders supporters believe. Twitter leftists are in an uproar about it. Even TYT looked at it as foul, and it wasn't the only question they point out that gave the impression CNN was biased against him. I only think it's interesting because it could have huge ramifications against the DNC in the general.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    I think what matters is what the Sanders supporters believe. Twitter leftists are in an uproar about it. Even TYT looked at it as foul, and it wasn't the only question they point out that gave the impression CNN was biased against him. I only think it's interesting because it could have huge ramifications against the DNC in the general.
    After all the hoopla, the issue didn't amount to a hill of beans. They are almost mirror images of each other anyway, and they are good friends. Personally I'm finding it difficult to make up my mind between the two of them. They are equally the most genuine and up front out of the whole bunch of them running. Although Yang ranks up there also in that dept.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The Hill

I don't know which is more intriguing to me. That Warren and Sanders are duking it out when all the progressives dreamed of a Warren/Sanders ticket.

Or the fact that CNN clearly showed its bias against Sanders for all the world to see during the debates, which could spark suspicion among his supporters that the DNC establishment is once again conspiring against his nomination.

I think the former makes me amused and the latter makes me kind of elated for 2020 in favor of the GOP.
    Sanders is finally getting a taste of what it's like to have "sources say" lies told about him.

He loved it when they did it to Trump. Not so much now!
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There were apparently some fireworks following the debate:

In audio of the post-debate exchange between 2020 Democratic presidential candidates Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) and Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) released by CNN on Wednesday, both candidates accused each other of throwing around accusations of dishonesty on national TV.

Warren said, “I think you called me a liar on national TV.”

Sanders responded, “You know, let’s not do it right now. If you want to have that discussion, we’ll have that discussion.”

Warren then stated, “Anytime.”

Sanders then countered, “You called me a liar. You told me — all right, let’s not do it now.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2020...ed-him-a-liar/

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The Hill

Citation needed.

Sanders supporters are sore losers no matter what. I should know, I used to be one .

It's going to be Biden / Harris and you're going to get your clock cleaned.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    It's going to be Biden / Harris and you're going to get your clock cleaned.
    Seriously, I can't tell if this is sarcasm, or delusion.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    Citation needed.

With both Mr. Sanders and Ms. Warren stockpiling over $25 million going into next month, and both enjoying a reliable stream of low-dollar contributors, they won’t soon suffer the most common cause of political death in a primary election — running out of money.

Yet this shared strength has only further confounded members of the party’s left wing who are hung up on the same question: How does it end?

Representative Ro Khanna of California, a co-chairman of Mr. Sanders’s campaign, said the solution would be to create a Sanders-Warren ticket.

“The two of them could usher in a progressive era for the next decade,” said Mr. Khanna, likening such a maneuver to what Bill Clinton did by tapping another young and fairly moderate Southerner, Al Gore, as his running mate in 1992. “They doubled down on a bet for a centrist vision of the party. This would be a bet on a progressive vision for the party.”

Another Sanders supporter, Representative Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, was equally effusive. “I think that would just be the dream of all progressives,” she said. “When you’re going into a battlefield, you want your best players to be on the field starting. And they are our best.”
    The gist of the article was the worry among progressives that if the two ended up clashing, it would be the downfall of both, thus the progressive party in general. A Warren/Sanders ticket they believed would be the solution.