Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Warren vs Sanders

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    And remember, it's in Warren's character to lie.
    Glass houses bro.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by whag View Post
    I dont think shes freezing so much as assessing whats happening and maybe even, I dont know, letting them be heard? Comedians are expected to respond to hecklers right away. Trump would have said something impulsive and stupid, like calling them fat or encouraging the crowd to beat them up.

Interesting that you as a Christian expected a quick and thoughtless response.
    It has nothing to do with me being a Christian, anymore than any of this political circus that has become American politics has anything to do with Christianity. I would have expected her to respond the same way that that other woman responded, not cower into helplessness and ask the woman "what do we do." It's bad political optics. And if she doesn't develop some sort of backbone, she'll get stomped by the aggressiveness Trump displayed towards Bush and Hillary. However, I do think she's still a better contender than Biden. People with dementia get worse when they're under that type of pressure, so it would be cringe central watching Biden try to compete in that environment. Maybe they'll get lucky and Trump will get ousted before then.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    Glass houses bro.
    Waiting for Charles to rush in squeaking and squealing about Whataboutism. smiley waiting-impatient.gif

Yup. Any minute now. smiley waiting2.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thats not the argument." --Tassman

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Just so you have your facts straight:

In audio of the post-debate exchange between 2020 Democratic presidential candidates Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) and Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) released by CNN on Wednesday, both candidates accused each other of throwing around accusations of dishonesty on national TV.

Warren said, “I think you called me a liar on national TV.”

Right, and Sanders, if he was being honest, should have responded right away, "that's because you did lie, I never said what you accused me of." He didn't do that, and that's not like Sanders. I think he was concerned about upsetting the women voters so, though he didn't admit to saying it in that face to face exchange, he didn't deny it either.

Sanders responded, “You know, let’s not do it right now. If you want to have that discussion, we’ll have that discussion.”

Exactly, and that's not like Sanders, he wasn't able to tell her to her face that she lied about what he said.

Warren then stated, “Anytime.”

Again, Warren was the aggressive one, Bernie the passive one, not wanting to discuss it, which suggest to me that Warren was most likely the truth teller here.

Sanders then countered, “You called me a liar. You told me — all right, let’s not do it now.”

True, she affirmed her original accussation when asked by the moderator, just as Bernie denied it when asked.

This entire controversy was manufactured by CNN with an unconfirmed "sources say" hit piece. And remember, it's in Warren's character to lie.
    No CNN didn't manurfacture it, Warren obviously said it.
    Last edited by JimL; 01-17-2020 at 03:14 PM.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Right, and Sanders, if he was being honest, should have responded right away, "that's because you did lie, I never said what you accused me of." He didn't do that, and that's not like Sanders. I think he was concerned about upsetting the women voters so, though he didn't admit to saying it in that face to face exchange, he didn't deny it either.

Exactly, and that's not like Sanders, he wasn't able to tell her to her face that she lied about what he said.

Again, Warren was the aggressive one, Bernie the passive one, not wanting to discuss it, which suggest to me that Warren was most likely the truth teller here.

True, she affirmed her original accussation when asked by the moderator, just as Bernie denied it when asked.

No CNN didn't manurfacture it, Warren obviously said it.
    The suspicion I've heard from the left (at least what Tim Pool reported) is that it was coordinated between Warren and CNN. IOW, CNN purposely left the mic on, Warren knew this and seized the opportunity to bolster her accusation.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    The suspicion I've heard from the left (at least what Tim Pool reported) is that it was coordinated between Warren and CNN. IOW, CNN purposely left the mic on, Warren knew this and seized the opportunity to bolster her accusation.
    I doubt it, the mics are usually left on anyway which often catches people off guard. Warren may have realized that, but that doesn't change Bernies reaction. A person being honest would have simply said "I denied what you accused me of because it was a lie' or something to that effect. It's the fact that Bernie didn't do that, that he rushed away, that makes me suspect that Warren was telling the truth. But again, I don't think it's a big deal anyway.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    That's possible. CNN is the same network that coordinated with Donna Brazille to feed debate questions to Hillary before she faced off with Sanders.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I want to apologize to the Sanders supporters on this thread for not being polite in my postings. I've been ashamed of my behavior from 2016 and I'm holding things against Bernie that he is not responsible for.

Back in 2016 I was a hard core Sanders supporter. I did want to stick it to the rich*, so the choice was obvious. Then the DNC scheduled the debates to Clinton's advantage and I started to resent the DNC. Then I started reading /r/politics/ a lot and got sucked into the whole conspiracy stuff about the server and I started down that trail of ignoring mainstream news sources and uncritically accepting anything that ended in a .com. I never got anywhere near as deep into things as the fine folks on this board but enough that I lost a fair amount of money (I don't blame Bernie for that) betting that Sanders would win the nomination because obviously Clinton was going down.

Now I learn that I was caught up in some foreign intelligence operation and I've also got that guilt you feel when you got tricked by someone. I'm going to let go of those things and stop holding it against myself and Bernie. Thanks for listening.

* Quiet Trumpers, this is me in 2020.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLamebrain View Post
    I doubt it, the mics are usually left on anyway which often catches people off guard. Warren may have realized that, but that doesn't change Bernies reaction. A person being honest would have simply said "I denied what you accused me of because it was a lie' or something to that effect. It's the fact that Bernie didn't do that, that he rushed away, that makes me suspect that Warren was telling the truth. But again, I don't think it's a big deal anyway.
    It sounds to me like Sanders was caught off guard and didn't want to make a scene.

But as long as we're parsing language, why did Warren say, "You called me a liar," instead of "You lied"? It's curious that Warren's statement doesn't necessarily imply that Sanders was wrong.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Personally, in my own speculative opinion, my guess is that Sanders made a remark that could be interpreted as meaning a woman couldn't be elected president (despite this not being at all his intention or his interpretation of the remark he made) and Warren interpreted it as such and got upset. Since Sanders wasn't trying to say anything like that he has no belief he said anything of the sort, whereas Warren believes he did say it based on her interpretation. And since this was a while ago and the specific words are forgotten, so it's not possible to try to sort it out by seeing how it could be interpreted.