Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Lev Parnas: Exclusive interview tonight at 9 - don't miss it Trumpsters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lev Parnas: Exclusive interview tonight at 9 - don't miss it Trumpsters.

I suggest you all watch the great Rachel Maddow this evening at 9 where she will interview LeV Parnas who will implicate not only Trump, but also VP Pence, Giuliani, Sec of State Pompeo, and Atty Gen. W. Barr.

I wonder if any of them tuned in. The interview was beyond devastating. He's not a perfect witness but his testimony combined with the documentary evidence is going to force an actual Senate trial.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
      I wonder if any of them tuned in. The interview was beyond devastating. He's not a perfect witness but his testimony combined with the documentary evidence is going to force an actual Senate trial.
      It was devasting, not only for Trump, but for so many others like Pence, Pompeo, Giuliani, Nunes, A.G. Barr et al and it should definitely force an actual trial. But if you had switched over to FOX NEWS you would not have heard a word about it, and instead they were advocating that the Republican Senate just dismiss the trial altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
        I followed on Twitter and would urge extreme caution: nothing new and salacious I heard alleged seemed to be backed by documentary evidence -- something Maddow's team definitely should have obtained prior to running the interview -- and most if not all the things he talked about, from the Twitter talk at least, are what could be gleaned from keeping current on news. I didn't see anything that provided behind-the-scenes stuff to tie loose ends together.

Who knows what angle Parnas is playing for but, for now, I'm putting this in the Carter-Page-Will-Say-Anything-On-TV box.

--Sam
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Lev speaks to Rachel also on podcast.

At this point it is hard to see how McConnell is going to fix it for Trump. It will be a fascinating few weeks.
          Last edited by firstfloor; 01-16-2020, 01:34 AM.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

At this point it is hard to see how McConnell is going to fix it for Trump. It will be a fascinating few weeks.
            So good to see you. I've been missing you.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

I believe it is very unlikely the GOP will do anything more than ignore this. But it is the smoking gun the GOP and the peanut gallery here have been claiming did not exist. What I will be most interested in is whether or not the mind lock Trump has on his base can actually be broken by this, or will we simply see the inevitable shift to something along the lines of "So Trump tried to get Ukraine to get dirt on Biden using congressional funds. What's the big deal?"

At that point we can know their transition to the 'dark side' is complete.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                I believe it is very unlikely the GOP will do anything more than ignore this.
                Of course not. As the Democrats have been demonstrating, American politics these days is about winning, no matter what you have to do to win. Republicans (well, some of them) are starting to learn that lesson. No point in having principles if your opponents use them to attack you and throw then out the window whenever it suits them.

Originally posted by oxmixmudd
                But it is the smoking gun the GOP and the peanut gallery here have been claiming did not exist.
                Sam - above - disagrees with you. Nothing of substance so far.

Originally posted by Oxmixmudd
                What I will be most interested in is whether or not the mind lock Trump has on his base can actually be broken by this, or will we simply see the inevitable shift to something along the lines of "So Trump tried to get Ukraine to get dirt on Biden using congressional funds. What's the big deal?"

At that point we can know their transition to the 'dark side' is complete.
                What would you have them do? Vote for someone (like Hillary, or Sanders, or Biden, or Warren, or AOC etc) who either hates and despises them, or is corrupt, or incompetent, or all three? That's not going to happen.

Vote for a RINO, or a Republican who will roll over when the Democrats attack them for being 'racist', or 'homophobic', or not 'diverse' enough, or whatever rhetorical name-calling bludgeon gets them to stop trying, and let the Democrats carry on pushing America ever further away from the place they remember and want to live in? That's not going to happen either.

Hence Trump. At least he gets some things they want done, done. His faults can be overlooked, and will be overlooked, if there is no realistic alternative (what Republican / conservative is there out there who could get elected as President, and could get things done? I don't know of any... suggestions?).
                ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  I followed on Twitter and would urge extreme caution: nothing new and salacious I heard alleged seemed to be backed by documentary evidence -- something Maddow's team definitely should have obtained prior to running the interview -- and most if not all the things he talked about, from the Twitter talk at least, are what could be gleaned from keeping current on news. I didn't see anything that provided behind-the-scenes stuff to tie loose ends together.

Who knows what angle Parnas is playing for but, for now, I'm putting this in the Carter-Page-Will-Say-Anything-On-TV box.

--Sam
                  Interesting, thanks.

I did not watch the interview because it's not football; I don't turn the TV on for anything else these days. If there's a transcript I might read that, but an interviewer lobbing softballs does not strike me as a particularly effective way of getting unbiased information.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    I suggest you all watch the great Rachel Maddow

this evening at 9 where she will interview LeV Parnas who will implicate not only Trump, but also VP Pence, Giuliani, Sec of State Pompeo, and Atty Gen. W. Barr.
                    I hear Lev also knows the identity of the third shooter on the grassy knoll.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

--Sam
                      What needs to happen is that all the documents Trump is hiding need to be put into the light, and all the people that had direct knowledge of Trump's statements about his actions need to tell what they know under oath.

But they won't do that, because they know Trump did exactly what he is accused of doing.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        What needs to happen is that all the documents Trump is hiding need to be put into the light, and all the people that had direct knowledge of Trump's statements about his actions need to tell what they know under oath.

But they won't do that, because they know Trump did exactly what he is accused of doing.
                        You're clearly setting this up to yourself so that no matter what actually happens, Trump is a bad guy.

The documents and testimony are released and show Trump did wrong? - 'See, I knew it!' --> Your suspicions were correct

Documents and testimony are not released? - 'See, they're covering up for Trump's misdeeds!' --> Your suspicions were correct

The documents and testimony are released and show Trump did no wrong? - 'Well, we know he's evil, so there must be something somewhere' {moves on to next things Trump is accused of} --> You 'know' Trump is evil, he just got away with it this time.

You've set it up in your mind so your conclusion about Trump are correct, no matter what happens. Prove me wrong by posting that YOU were wrong IF Trump is cleared on this.
                        ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                          Hence Trump. At least he gets some things they want done, done. His faults can be overlooked, and will be overlooked, if there is no realistic alternative (what Republican / conservative is there out there who could get elected as President, and could get things done? I don't know of any... suggestions?).
                          And that is a very short sighted and dangerous way of looking at the problem. Unfortunately, if we excuse what Trump has done because it is convenient to do so, we set the precedent for excusing it the next time, and the next, and the next, and the next. And the problem there is that in the end, impeachment is no longer capable of ousting a president that abuses his power. And that means the president is above the law, which sets the stage for some future president to transition from a constitutional Republic to something indistinguishable from a dictatorship.

If we impeach Trump - and given what he has done that is what should take place - Pence takes over. And then we elect him or someone else in 2020. And we proceed as we should, because maintaining the separation of powers and our form of government is more important, in the long run, than whatever short term political or financial gains Trump can offer.

Comment

You're clearly setting this up to yourself so that no matter what actually happens, Trump is a bad guy.
                            Trump illegally blocked congressionally allocated funds to help an ally fight against our sworn enemy, imposing additional casualties on them, for the purpose of coercing that ally to dig up dirt on a political rival. And he has since engage in a full on cover-up of his actions.

Trump IS a bad guy.

Comment

The documents and testimony are released and show Trump did wrong? - 'See, I knew it!' --> Your suspicions were correct

Documents and testimony are not released? - 'See, they're covering up for Trump's misdeeds!' --> Your suspicions were correct

The documents and testimony are released and show Trump did no wrong? - 'Well, we know he's evil, so there must be something somewhere' {moves on to next things Trump is accused of} --> You 'know' Trump is evil, he just got away with it this time.

You've set it up in your mind so your conclusion about Trump are correct, no matter what happens. Prove me wrong by posting that YOU were wrong IF Trump is cleared on this.
                              SDNY has already released documents obtained from Parnas' arrest showing his involvement with Trump's efforts to coerce Ukraine to investigate his rivals so the "Trump gets cleared" option continues to be disallowed. What Trump is doing by obstructing Congress and withholding all documents, though, is giving ample space for disinformation to thrive.

--Sam
                              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment