Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Lev Parnas: Exclusive interview tonight at 9 - don't miss it Trumpsters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    I hear Lev also knows the identity of the third shooter on the grassy knoll.
    But he's the next best hope of the TDS gallary here.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      But it is the smoking gun the GOP and the peanut gallery here have been claiming did not exist
      Right, a series of vague text messages and handwritten notes of indeterminate origin from a known liar who is wiling to say anything to keep his butt out of the slammer is the "smoking gun" that will finally bring Trump down.

That's delusional talk, man. If this guy's testimony was worth anything then he would have waited until he was under oath before opening his mouth rather than going on national television to tell his tales of woh to a crank like Rachael "Nothing On My Show Should Be Regarded As Fact" Maddow.

There's also the fact that this cornball was in contact with Shifty Adam Schiff in November 2019, and yet we didn't hear a peep about it from Shifty who is one of the most notorious leakers on Capitol Hill. Seems even the bug-eyed one is capable of recognizing a nothing burger when he smells it. And no mention of this "evidence" was made in the Articles of Impeachment even though Nutty Nadler had a thumb drive full of supposedly "incriminating" documents in his fat little fingers.

You guys need to do like me and just sit back and watch the show play out instead of hyperventilating over every "bombshell" only to have it embarrassingly blow up in your face.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        But he's the next best hope of the TDS gallary here.
        Why not have Pompeo testify to Congress about Parnas' purported surveillance of Yovanovich and produce documents regarding threat assessments during her final days in Ukraine?
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

What needs to happen is that all the documents Trump is hiding need to be put into the light, and all the people that had direct knowledge of Trump's statements about his actions need to tell what they know under oath.

But they won't do that, because they know Trump did exactly what he is accused of doing.
          No, Jim, due process demands that the prosecution must present a legally sufficient reason to compel the release of documents and the testimony of witnesses. This they have utterly failed to do.

(And, no, "We know Trump is up to something! We just need the evidence to figure out what!" is not a legally sufficient reason.)
          Last edited by Mountain Man; 01-16-2020, 08:55 AM.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
            Why not have Pompeo testify to Congress about Parnas' purported surveillance of Yovanovich and produce documents regarding threat assessments during her final days in Ukraine?
            Because it'd be a complete waste of time, Sam. The Democrats were going to impeach no matter what -- that was a goal long before "the phone call".
            The Republicans are not going to remove and convict no matter what.

It is partisan politics all the way around.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Because it'd be a complete waste of time, Sam. The Democrats were going to impeach no matter what -- that was a goal long before "the phone call".

Why not have Pompeo testify before Congress as a typical matter of oversight?

Doesn't evidence suggesting surveillance and a potential threat against an American ambassador warrant some response from and oversight of the State Department? Or is the argument that the executive branch can't be bothered?

--Sam
              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                Why not have Pompeo testify before Congress as a typical matter of oversight?
                I honestly don't care either way, Sam -- I honestly don't think it's going to change a thing.

Doesn't evidence suggesting surveillance and a potential threat against an American ambassador warrant some response from and oversight of the State Department? Or is the argument that the executive branch can't be bothered?

--Sam
                What was she threatened with? Bodily harm? Removal?

It's the president's prerogative to remove her any time he desires. That he may have done it in a totally strange way is not illegal.

Comment

And that is a very short sighted and dangerous way of looking at the problem. Unfortunately, if we excuse what Trump has done because it is convenient to do so, we set the precedent for excusing it the next time, and the next, and the next, and the next. And the problem there is that in the end, impeachment is no longer capable of ousting a president that abuses his power. And that means the president is above the law, which sets the stage for some future president to transition from a constitutional Republic to something indistinguishable from a dictatorship.

If we impeach Trump - and given what he has done that is what should take place - Pence takes over. And then we elect him or someone else in 2020. And we proceed as we should, because maintaining the separation of powers and our form of government is more important, in the long run, than whatever short term political or financial gains Trump can offer.
                  A big problem for republicans here is that Pence is also implicated, the whole bunch of them are implicated, including popmpeo and Barr, but if Trump is convicted then theres a good chance that Pence would also have to go because he was also in on the scheme and so republicans are going to try there damndest to sweep this under the rug because next in line for the presidency after Pence would be the hated Nancy Pelosi. Although by that time the election will be coming around so she'd only be in office long enough to keep the seat warm for Warren or Sanders.

Comment

No, it isn't just politics. Being that the two sides are dug in doesn't mean that there is not one side that is right and one side that is wrong. You're continuing to call it simply partisan is just your way of easing your own conscience and ignoring whether Trump is guilty or not.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      No, it isn't just politics.
                      Yes, it is. Pure and simple. Or, rather, IMPURE and simple.

Being that the two sides are dug in doesn't mean that there is not one side that is right and one side that is wrong.
                      I think both sides are wrong. You seem to think only the Democrats can be right.

You're continuing to call it simply partisan is just your way of easing your own conscience and ignoring whether Trump is guilty or not.
                      You really really suck at mind reading. I think Trump is guilty of a LOT of things. I just don't happen to believe any of it justifies removal from office.

It's all politics - on BOTH sides. This has been the most PARTISAN thing that has happened in a long time. To pretend it's not politics is just dumb.

Comment

Yes, it is. Pure and simple. Or, rather, IMPURE and simple.

I think both sides are wrong. You seem to think only the Democrats can be right.

You really really suck at mind reading. I think Trump is guilty of a LOT of things. I just don't happen to believe any of it justifies removal from office.

It's all politics - on BOTH sides. This has been the most PARTISAN thing that has happened in a long time. To pretend it's not politics is just dumb.
                        Both sides can't be wrong, CP. Either Trump is guilty as charged or he is innocent. You, like the other Trumpsters here just simply don't want to know the answer. You're all praying that the republicans are successful in their attempt to sweep it under the rug.

Comment

Both sides can't be wrong, CP.
                          I believe they are - and it's all about politics. Each side doing everything they can to hold or gain power.

Either Trump is guilty as charged or he is innocent.
                          In a perfect world, yes.

You, like the other Trumpsters
                          You said you could be an adult, Jim. Do you REALLY think this makes you look adult? I've been treating you with respect, and you keep up this crap. All it does is make you look childish.

here just simply don't want to know the answer.
                          I know what he's charged with. I don't believe that is grounds for removal. I think it was stupid, and I think Trump deserves censure for it - but it's not even what the liberals set out to prove. They had already decided they were going to impeach Trump LONG before "the phone call".

You're all praying that the republicans are successful in their attempt to sweep it under the rug.
                          That's just ignorant -- I am praying for no such thing, and it's yet another example of how badly you suck at mind reading.

Come on, Jim, at least TRY to post like an adult, eh?

Comment

I missed it. Can someone summarize what was so devastating, especially in regards to Pence and Barr?

Comment

I believe they are - and it's all about politics. Each side doing everything they can to hold or gain power.

In a perfect world, yes.

You said you could be an adult, Jim. Do you REALLY think this makes you look adult? I've been treating you with respect, and you keep up this crap. All it does is make you look childish.

I know what he's charged with. I don't believe that is grounds for removal. I think it was stupid, and I think Trump deserves censure for it - but it's not even what the liberals set out to prove. They had already decided they were going to impeach Trump LONG before "the phone call".

That's just ignorant -- I am praying for no such thing, and it's yet another example of how badly you suck at mind reading.

Come on, Jim, at least TRY to post like an adult, eh?
                              You know what he's charged with, you believe he broke the law, but you don't believe that it is grounds for impeachment? Is that what you're saying?

Comment

You know what he's charged with,
                                I do.

you believe he broke the law,
                                Not convinced, no.

but you don't believe that it is grounds for impeachment?
                                What I know so far, correct.

Is that what you're saying?
                                Nope. But I do appreciate you asking for a change, instead of telling me what I think or what I'm praying for. That's progress!

Comment