Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kansas City radio station agrees to broadcast Russian-owned ‘propaganda’ program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kansas City radio station agrees to broadcast Russian-owned ‘propaganda’ program

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nat...239359868.html

A Kansas City area radio station can broadcast Russian state-owned media programming, the type that U.S. intelligence called a “propaganda machine,” for six hours a day through a lease agreement struck by a local radio operator.

The lease agreement lets RM Broadcasting air its programming from 6 to 9 a.m. and 6 to 9 p.m. seven days a week. KCXL’s website, which says that it’s the radio station that will “tell you the things that the liberal media wont (sic) tell you,” lists Radio Sputnik in its morning programming.

A 2017 report by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence that evaluated Russian efforts to influence the 2016 election described Sputnik as “another government-funded outlet producing pro-Kremlin radio and online content in a variety of languages for international audiences.”

Everyone cool with this? Do you think they're going to be pro-Trump or pro-[eventual nominee]?
    Last edited by DivineOb; 01-17-2020, 12:55 PM.

I found their website

https://sputniknews.com/world/

There is a link at the top to listen to them if you want. I can't at work.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post

A Kansas City area radio station can broadcast Russian state-owned media programming, the type that U.S. intelligence called a “propaganda machine,” for six hours a day through a lease agreement struck by a local radio operator.

The lease agreement lets RM Broadcasting air its programming from 6 to 9 a.m. and 6 to 9 p.m. seven days a week. KCXL’s website, which says that it’s the radio station that will “tell you the things that the liberal media wont (sic) tell you,” lists Radio Sputnik in its morning programming.

A 2017 report by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence that evaluated Russian efforts to influence the 2016 election described Sputnik as “another government-funded outlet producing pro-Kremlin radio and online content in a variety of languages for international audiences.”

Everyone cool with this? Do you think they're going to be pro-Trump or pro-[eventual nominee]?
      An AM station, in a smaller market, that caters to those 50+ is what has you worked up?
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Are you asking conservatives or liberals? Pro-Russian outlets I've seen like RT push progressive politics more than they do conservative politics. The only area they might align somewhat with alt-conservative views is on foreign policy.

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          An AM station, in a smaller market, that caters to those 50+ is what has you worked up?
          I'm asking if you're ok with Russian propaganda being broadcast on American airwaves. It sounds like you are? Holy hell.

Comment

I'm asking if you're ok with Russian propaganda being broadcast on American airwaves. It sounds like you are? Holy hell.
            Is it any worse than the liberal propaganda that we're inundated with on a daily basis?
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

If everyone knows what it is then I don't see it having any effect one way or another.

It's kinda like my cable provider. There is a Chinese news station done in English way up "the dial" that is pretty obviously getting their instructions from Beijing.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I’m asking why you’re so concerned for the 50 listeners of that station?
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I’m asking why you’re so concerned for the 50 listeners of that station?
                  I don't argue with Russophiles, sorry.

Comment

I don't argue with Russophiles, sorry.
                    So you can’t explain why we should freak out over the programming of an small market AM station, that almost nobody under 50 is listening to?
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

So you can’t explain why we should freak out over the programming of an small market AM station, that almost nobody under 50 is listening to?
                      Retired folks are probably one of the most consistently active voting blocks. Just look at the power groups like AARP wields.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That post seems really dismissive of older people. Why would they be less important?
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Given that the US broadcasts Voice of America, which is by definition propaganda, it seems hypocritical to then say that other perspectives couldn't be allowed. I generally think there should be much more leeway with freedom of speech when the context is politically charged, which is the case here.

This is a totally different question from whether the station should actually do it.

(And no, I am not a Trump supporter. I voted against him and plan on doing it again.)
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            That post seems really dismissive of older people. Why would they be less important?
                            Because old white guys, living in the Midwest, listening to an AM talk radio station, are likely to be Trump voters anyway and it’s doubtful this programming block will change anything?
                            Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 01-17-2020, 02:07 PM.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Retired folks are probably one of the most consistently active voting blocks. Just look at the power groups like AARP wields.
                              True, but old white guys, living in the Midwest, listening to AM talk radio, are already likely Trump voters anyway.
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment