Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kansas City radio station agrees to broadcast Russian-owned ‘propaganda’ program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Another likely indicator is disproportionate focus on Tulsi Gabbard. (This focus has been used against her by other Democrats, but it's hardly to her detriment that another country happens to like her dovishness.)
    I hadn't noticed any focus on Gabbard at all. It was noticeably anti Hillary while she was relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
      Progressive politics? Not RT. Maybe Sputnik.
      RTAmerica for sure, not their main channel. It was all pro-BLM, pro-climate change alarmism, pro-gun control. I couldn't stomach it. I haven't been subbed to that part of their channel in awhile so maybe they've changed. They were definitely getting a ton negative feedback for it, so maybe they toned it down.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
        RTAmerica for sure, not their main channel. It was all pro-BLM, pro-climate change alarmism, pro-gun control. I couldn't stomach it. I haven't been subbed to that part of their channel in awhile so maybe they've changed. They were definitely getting a ton negative feedback for it, so maybe they toned it down.
        Weird. Their main channel mostly covers news that's important to Russia, makes Russia look good, or makes the US look poorly. But as far as domestic American politics, it leans to the right a bit - but not insanely so.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
          Weird. Their main channel mostly covers news that's important to Russia, makes Russia look good, or makes the US look poorly. But as far as domestic American politics, it leans to the right a bit - but not insanely so.
          Are you talking about their main channel or their sub channel? They have quite a few sub channels. Main channel definitely caters to the alt-conservative base (the Ron/Rand Paul types) who are against military and police state type issues.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
            Are you talking about their main channel or their sub channel? They have quite a few sub channels. Main channel definitely caters to the alt-conservative base (the Ron/Rand Paul types) who are against military and police state type issues.
            RT.com

They do give an unusual amount of space to Ron Paul, for whatever reason. Not so much Rand (that I could see).

But it is odd that the same government is controlling the agency and it has conflicting viewpoints, depending on the specific outlet.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
              https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nat...239359868.html

A Kansas City area radio station can broadcast Russian state-owned media programming, the type that U.S. intelligence called a “propaganda machine,” for six hours a day through a lease agreement struck by a local radio operator.

The lease agreement lets RM Broadcasting air its programming from 6 to 9 a.m. and 6 to 9 p.m. seven days a week. KCXL’s website, which says that it’s the radio station that will “tell you the things that the liberal media wont (sic) tell you,” lists Radio Sputnik in its morning programming.

A 2017 report by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence that evaluated Russian efforts to influence the 2016 election described Sputnik as “another government-funded outlet producing pro-Kremlin radio and online content in a variety of languages for international audiences.”

Everyone cool with this? Do you think they're going to be pro-Trump or pro-[eventual nominee]?
              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                I'm asking if you're ok with Russian propaganda being broadcast on American airwaves. It sounds like you are? Holy hell.
                Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                If everyone knows what it is then I don't see it having any effect one way or another.

It's kinda like my cable provider. There is a Chinese news station done in English way up "the dial" that is pretty obviously getting their instructions from Beijing.
                By your lack of comment about the Chinese government having a news channel (which is on 24/7 not just 6 hours) and being carried by AT&T meaning it has a far larger potential audience, can I assume this does not bother you?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's the standard attack now.

'This is big deal!!!!! You don't agree? Then you are Russophile/traitor/unChristian/bigoted etc.'

Slime.
                  Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    By your lack of comment about the Chinese government having a news channel (which is on 24/7 not just 6 hours) and being carried by AT&T meaning it has a far larger potential audience, can I assume this does not bother you?
                    Put on your thinking cap and ponder whether I would be ok with Chinese propaganda on American cablewaves.

Comment