Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Guns and speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guns and speech

A gun rights rally in which guns are prohibited: Are guns an essential component of political speech?

A gun rights rally which has some threatening violence: Are guns inherently violent?

A gun rights rally which (apparently) is drawing much interest from alt right groups: Are gums an essential element of alt right ideology, of conservative ideology?

Will this rally be a peaceful example of expressing a political view or another Charlottesville?

The Tea Party had many protests and rallies in which presence was superfluous, not really needed. But now, several years later, the police plans need planning similar to a military campaign. (not sure if any posters have read the after action report about Charlottesville in '17, I couldn't find it on the web).
    Last edited by simplicio; 01-20-2020, 06:00 AM.

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
    A gun rights rally in which guns are prohibited: Are guns an essential component of political speech?

A gun rights rally which has some threatening violence: Are guns inherently violent?

A gun rights rally which (apparently) is drawing much interest from alt right groups: Are gums an essential element of alt right ideology, of conservative ideology?

Will this rally be a peaceful example of expressing a political view or another Charlottesville?

The Tea Party had many protests and rallies in which presence was superfluous, not really needed. But now, several years later, the police plans need planning similar to a military campaign. (not sure if any posters have read the after action report about Charlottesville in '17, I couldn't find it on the web).
    Is lobbying more effective when one carries a weapon?

Comment

Is lobbying more effective when one carries a weapon?
      The Founders thought so...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Are gums an essential element of alt right ideology, of conservative ideology?
        Healthy gums are essential to healthy teeth.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Healthy gums are essential to healthy teeth.
          An excellent catch. I am grateful to you for pointing out my error, and sloppy writing.

But since the intended meaning was obscured by the mistake, I will rewrite it:

Are guns an essential element of either alt right ideology or conservative ideology.

Comment

An excellent catch. I am grateful to you for pointing out my error, and sloppy writing.
            Meh, it happens. Sometimes it's funny.

Are guns an essential element of either alt right ideology or conservative ideology.
            It was perfectly clear what you intended.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Don't forget the many Democrats who also see importance of gums and guns. The rally seemed to include anyone who was interested in freedom.

Comment

Pro-gun rally by thousands in Virginia ends peacefully

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Tens of thousands of gun-rights activists from around the country rallied peacefully at the Virginia Capitol on Monday to protest plans by the state’s Democratic leadership to pass gun-control legislation — a move that has become a key flash point in the national debate over gun violence

The size of the crowd and the expected participation of white supremacists and fringe militia groups raised fears that the state could see a repeat of the violence that exploded in 2017 in Charlottesville. But the rally concluded uneventfully around noon, and the mood was largely festive, with rally-goers chanting “USA!” and waving signs denouncing Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam.

Many protesters chose not to enter the designated rally zone, where Northam had imposed a temporary weapons ban, and instead packed surrounding streets, many dressed in tactical gear and camouflage and carrying military-style rifles as they cheered on the speakers.

“I love this. This is like the Super Bowl for the Second Amendment right here,” said P.J. Hudson, a truck driver from Richmond who carried an AR-15 rifle just outside Capitol Square. He was one of the few African American rally-goers in a crowd that was overwhelmingly white and male, and was frequently stopped and asked to pose for pictures wearing his “Black Guns Matter” sweatshirt.

Comment

"Pro-gun rally by thousands in Virginia ends peacefully"

What do you want, a cookie?

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post

Chocolate chip still warm out of the oven and a cold glass of milk, please.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post

Hey if you listened to the left wing press they were predicting (or hoping for) violence. After all it was an AP headline about ending peacefully...
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                        Hey if you listened to the left wing press they were predicting (or hoping for) violence. After all it was an AP headline about ending peacefully...
                        Sort of like the right wing press predicting that Antifa terrorists was mounting a false flag operation, seven busloads of Antifa dressed as Patriots were going to ignite violence at the rally to make the pro gun side look like evil terrorist. Antifa was paying crisis actors 250 dollars per day, demonstrators, injured victims, and Patriots in tactical gear. The Antifa snipers on top of buildings were apparently not needed! And the Navy is supplying expertise in signal counter intelligence.

The police planning was successful, the rally went off without a hitch. I wonder if it would have been peaceful without a detailed police response and crowd control plan.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          EGGzackly. Hence, my declaration that peace broke out.

Comment

Sort of like the right wing press predicting that Antifa terrorists was mounting a false flag operation, seven busloads of Antifa dressed as Patriots were going to ignite violence at the rally to make the pro gun side look like evil terrorist. Antifa was paying crisis actors 250 dollars per day, demonstrators, injured victims, and Patriots in tactical gear. The Antifa snipers on top of buildings were apparently not needed! And the Navy is supplying expertise in signal counter intelligence.

The police planning was successful, the rally went off without a hitch. I wonder if it would have been peaceful without a detailed police response and crowd control plan.
                            All of which was very peaceful.

Comment

Well Antifa did show up, but I did not hear that by right wing press (who ever that is). Remember I'm speaking of the main stream press. And BTY if you watched the rally the cops were both out numbered and out gunned, it was peaceful because gun rights advocates are largely law abiding, unlike Antifa.

Comment