Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Happy Robert E Lee Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post

That's just nonsense.
    But I listed those nonsensical items because those have been reasons given for not recognizing King with a holiday. I did assume philandering would come up, the orgy one surprised me.

Since 1968, the same nonsense keeps popping up. Some ideas will not die, even among Christians.

Also, kudos for addressing the OP.

Comment

The fact is that MLK Jr., like many great men, had feet of clay. That should come as no surprise since there is only one who was/is perfect and we shouldn't be surprised when someone fails miserably to meet that standard. That was true then and is still true today.

Smiley squirrel.gif XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX NATIONAL SQUIRREL APPRECIATION DAY!! XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Smiley squirrel.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Jim the South was seceding, they were their own country. There is nothing in the Constitution that prevents secession. And the South was just following the principles found in the DoI...
        If this is a joke, it's in poor taste. If it's not a joke, it's unspeakably racist.

The South's secession was a full abrogation of the principle that life and liberty were inalienable human rights, or more precisely, was in support of the principle they were not rights at all, if you were human and black. The intent to preserve the peculiar institution of slavery abides in all of the secession statements we have, and is given direct support and accommodation throughout the Confederate constitution.

But no, the North just had to attack!
        April 12, 1861 - At 4:30 a.m. Confederates under Gen. Pierre Beauregard open fire with 50 cannons upon Fort Sumter in Charleston, South Carolina. The Civil War begins.

This post is emblematic of why I remain so hesitant to post this site, even anonymously, given the efforts to dox me by some of the more deranged members here. If my dean were to be shown I post a site that encourages this, I would never be allowed to enter another classroom.

No one else is speaking against this.

That's a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
          If this is a joke, it's in poor taste. If it's not a joke, it's unspeakably racist.

The South's secession was a full abrogation of the principle that life and liberty were inalienable human rights, or more precisely, was in support of the principle they were not rights at all, if you were human and black. The intent to preserve the peculiar institution of slavery abides in all of the secession statements we have, and is given direct support and accommodation throughout the Confederate constitution.
          Homer, I'm not saying I agree with the South but let's be honest slavery was long practiced in this country by both north and south. They were just following the example set by the Founders. And the fact that it was the North that attacked the South - that was the cause of the 600,000 deaths that JimL was complaining about.

April 12, 1861 - At 4:30 a.m. Confederates under Gen. Pierre Beauregard open fire with 50 cannons upon Fort Sumter in Charleston, South Carolina. The Civil War begins.
          No poop! We already went through this. The North was asked to leave the fort (peacefully) a number of times. To the South they were an occupying force and the fort was controlling one of the most important ports in the South.

This post is emblematic of why I remain so hesitant to post this site, even anonymously, given the efforts to dox me by some of the more deranged members here. If my dean were to be shown I post a site that encourages this, I would never be allowed to enter another classroom.

No one else is speaking against this.

That's a problem.
          Grow a pair...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Homer, I'm not saying I agree with the South but ...
            Yes you are.

Comment

Let me go on record as saying that my "War of Northern Aggression" schtick is just that... a schtick. I am still amazed, to this day, that our Nation came to the place of brother hating brother and families split and so many lives lost... Americans on both sides.

People who know me in real life know that in my Church work, I'm "the boss" (under Christ) and our church is majority white, though we have a good Nigerian and Hispanic contingent. (some occasional repeat visitors who are black but not Nigerian)

At work during the week, in my mission stuff, my "boss" is a black man, and so are my three immediate reports. I'm a minority at work - in a very significant way, and my "clients" are about 65% black and 25% Hispanic.

And the ONLY reason I know that is that it's required on reporting when we are dealing with federal assistance money like FEMA for hurricane recovery and other programs.

But, still, on Tweb, I'm a racist.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                Yes you are.
                Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: Chaotic Void

Please refrain from calling someone a liar unless you can prove it.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Chaotic Void; 01-21-2020, 09:35 AM.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Jim the South was seceding, they were their own country. There is nothing in the Constitution that prevents secession. And the South was just following the principles found in the DoI...

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

But no, the North just had to attack!
                  JimL is rig... ri... r.... not wrong here.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    JimL is rig... ri... r.... not wrong here.
                    ?????

Comment

?????
                      For one thing, places like Ft. Sumpter were federal property, making an attack on it a cause for war. The Constitution does not address secession, but that didn't give the South the right to unilaterally take over government property within its bounds.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                        Civil rights is a commie plot! I suppose that Letter from a Birmingham Jail is a Trotskyite propaganda?

I read the speeches and writings, and look at his actions, and see a committed and courageous Christian, whose thought was formed by, and informed by, the Christian faith.
                        Actually, his thoughts were formed largely by his reading of Thoreau's "On Civil Disobedience". I did my final paper in college comp on King and Gandhi's change of strategy after they were both exposed to Thoreau.
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          For one thing, places like Ft. Sumpter were federal property, making an attack on it a cause for war. The Constitution does not address secession, but that didn't give the South the right to unilaterally take over government property within its bounds.
                          That is the point, the South saw the fort as an occupation, they are their own country now. If they left peacefully there would have been no problem.

Comment

That is the point, the South saw the fort as an occupation, they are their own country now. If they left peacefully there would have been no problem.
                            Didn't the POTUS at the time tell them to leave, and the Commander refused?
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I'm pretty much staying out of this, because I had "American History" in college in Ohio, but Texas didn't accept that course for credit, so I had to take US History in Texas, and when we came to the Civil War (or, as my East Texas Baptist College professor called it - The War of Northern Aggression) - it was COMPLETELY different from what I learned "up North", with different battles, different heroes, different....

Somewhere in there lies the truth.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                                Didn't the POTUS at the time tell them to leave, and the Commander refused?
                                I think so, but I don't remember.

Comment