Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Happy Robert E Lee Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    The point is I do believe that Lee was a committed Christian with a blind spot when it came to slavery, just as King had a blind spot when it came to infidelity.
    I'm shocked --- FLAWED LEADERS, like in the Bible???? And, speaking of Kings.... King David...
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I'm shocked --- FLAWED LEADERS, like in the Bible???? And, speaking of Kings.... King David...
      Right.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The point is I do believe that Lee was a committed Christian with a blind spot when it came to slavery, just as King had a blind spot when it came to infidelity.
        But there is a significant difference. Many saw slavery as perfectly compatible with Christianity and a Christian society. It is unlikely that King did not recognize that adultery was sin.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
          But there is a significant difference. Many saw slavery as perfectly compatible with Christianity and a Christian society. It is unlikely that King did not recognize that adultery was sin.
          So Lee had an excuse for his behavior and King did not! So who is the better Christian?
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            Are you a Christian? You say you are. If you are, then you condemn yourself by your own words.
            Except the argument was not mine. The accusations about the orgies center on a workshop which drew many Baptists, it was for pastors and was on Christian urban leadership, and it was run by Men who were largely Baptist pastors. If the orgy stories are true, then the participants were predominately Baptist.

The stories on the all night orgies are pretty over the top bizarre. If it happened then the participants were likely Christian ministers.

Do give those stories credence?

Are you sure you are in a position to cast such stones? Not sure a parody of the Christian faith is the real McCoy, and someone referred to your brand of Christianity as a parody of the real thing. I am not aware that he has changed his mind
            Last edited by simplicio; 01-20-2020, 12:59 PM.

Comment

So Lee had an excuse for his behavior and King did not! So who is the better Christian?
              What do you mean by "excuse"? I don't think the Lord is really impressed by excuses when it comes to judgement.

I wonder what is revealed by a heart and mind which accepts slavery!

Comment

Except the argument was not mine. The accusations about the orgies center on a workshop which drew many Baptists, it was for pastors and was on Christian urban leadership, and it was run by Men who were largely Baptist pastors. If the orgy stories are true, then the participants were predominately Baptist.

The stories on the all night orgies are pretty over the top bizarre. If it happened then the participants were likely Christian ministers.

Do give those stories credence?

Are you sure you are in a position to cast such stones? Not sure a parody of the Christian faith is the real McCoy, and someone referred to your brand of Christianity as a parody of the real thing. I am not aware that he has changed his mind
                I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You gave no link to whatever it is you were quoting. Your statement appeared to me to come from your own mouth.
                  If you have something to accuse me of, give me a link to what was said about my "brand of faith", because otherwise I have no idea what you are talking about. I would like to know who referred to my "brand of Christianity" as a "parody of the real thing".

What exactly is my "brand of Christianity"?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.
                    Post number four brought up the accusation about King participating in orgies.

The charge is about a workshop for Christian pastors, and the event drew Baptists, who were in the majority.

Comment

Today is Robert E Lee Day in some states. Lee is deserving of such recognition because of his record ?

Today is also MLK Day, MLK is deserving of such recognition because of his record of elevating Christian principles to apply them to the problems facing society, for his unwavering recognition of human dignity, for is tireless work in defending those facing injustice, for his modern interpretation of the faith for the twentieth century.

King associated with communists. The holiday is a black holiday and not one recognizing all Americans. King was a rabble rouser who cost states money and provoked violent reactions wherever he went.
                      The holiday is not, as you assert, a "black holiday. It is a holiday for all Americans.

Having said that, not long after it became a holiday I was told by one of the very few blacks that came to work that day that because I was white I shouldn't be allowed to celebrate it. I pointed out that he always has a big Cinco de Mayo party every year and according to his logic he should not be "allowed" to do so. He left in a huff and pretty much avoided me for the next few days.

Oh, and he had his big Cinco de Mayo bash a few months later.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

Oh, but I wish that were true today.
                        Now the left wants to judge people by the color of their skin. In fact a substantial number downright insist upon it.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                          You gave no link to whatever it is you were quoting. Your statement appeared to me to come from your own mouth.

If you have something to accuse me of, give me a link to what was said about my "brand of faith", because otherwise I have no idea what you are talking about. I would like to know who referred to my "brand of Christianity" as a "parody of the real thing".

What exactly is my "brand of Christianity"?
                          In case you are really unaware, the quote box provides context which prompts the specific answer. And you can click on the little square thing after the username to follow the conversation back.

Curiously, I am not accusing you of anything. The thread on Beth Moore on Christianity section of Tweb had one poster calling the view a parody of the faith, and later it turned out that you yourself held that view. The accusation comes from someone else!

them elites are pretty influential, aren't they!

Comment

Then again, maybe there was an orgy, complete with ladies of the evening, and King was the only male participant.

Comment

And Lee said his chief concern was to be a humble and earnest Christian. And lived out that desire by whipping recaptured slaves, allowed (encouraged?) his soldiers to kidnap free and escaped blacks to sell, rejected prisoner swaps of it included black soldiers, noted blacks were ill disposed for work and lacked intellectual capacity for full participation in civic life.

A fine Christian gentleman deserving to be honored.
                              Out of curiosity, are you familiar with what Lincoln, the author of the Emancipation Proclamation said about blacks? It sounds like something you'd expect to hear at a KKK rally.

I'm not trying to defend Lee but rather point out that it was most certainly a different era.

Comment

Yes. It says a lot about Christians, especially Baptists, that they would so easily be drawn into sexual deviancy, of orgies, at a religiously themed workshop.
                                Actually - and I'm really trying to catch up on this because I really haven't been interested in "all night orgies" of King or anybody -- it appears this "training event" involved NEGRO (the word at the time) leadership, not Baptist per se.

negro meeting.jpg

So, if you want to go on a racist rant, please feel free to do so without me, because you'd be saying "it says a lot about blacks...."

Comment