Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Happy Robert E Lee Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Out of curiosity, are you familiar with what Lincoln, the author of the Emancipation Proclamation said about blacks? It sounds like something you'd expect to hear at a KKK rally.

I'm not trying to defend Lee but rather point out that it was most certainly a different era.
    I referred in a sermon a few years ago to "a great Negro Spiritual", and my sound man about had a heart attack, and edited the recording to remove the word "Negro" because that was highly offensive.

What I was doing, was introducing an upcoming event featuring a black choir who called themselves "Soul Lifters", who performed... um... Negro Spirituals, among other music.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
      In case you are really unaware, the quote box provides context which prompts the specific answer. And you can click on the little square thing after the username to follow the conversation back.
      What quote box are you referring to? You have quoted nothing, nor have you provided a link for anything you have said. You made your comment about Christians in general and Baptists in particular with absolutely no link to even prove you are getting that idea from someone else.

And I certainly appreciate your patronizing manner toward me.

Curiously, I am not accusing you of anything. The thread on Beth Moore on Christianity section of Tweb had one poster calling the view a parody of the faith, and later it turned out that you yourself held that view. The accusation comes from someone else!

them elites are pretty influential, aren't they!
      Are you telling me that I hold the same "brand of Christianity" as Beth Moore? She is a charlatan and her theology has no link to what I believe.

Please give me a link to the particular post by the particular poster you are talking about. I don't have time for your nonsense without you providing proof.

And, I've noticed you haven't answered my question about your own faith. Are you a Christian? I would like to know exactly what you believe.

You may pm me with a statement of your faith if you don't want to share your testimony here.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Out of curiosity, are you familiar with what Lincoln, the author of the Emancipation Proclamation said about blacks? It sounds like something you'd expect to hear at a KKK rally.

I'm not trying to defend Lee but rather point out that it was most certainly a different era.
        Yes, Lincoln was rather surprised to learn that the former slaves would want to stay in America, and many other ideas we find shocking.

But I also realize that things like sin and error can coexist with great and heroic ideas. That also happens to be a conclusion from the doctrine of original sin.

But that line of reasoning brings up the ways we Christian think of the bible as timeless and eternal, and how clear its teachings are, and how the teachings are discerned.

Comment

Now the left wants to judge people by the color of their skin. In fact a substantial number downright insist upon it.
          EGGzackly my point. It's ALL ABOUT the color of skin, not the content of character.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Actually - and I'm really trying to catch up on this because I really haven't been interested in "all night orgies" of King or anybody -- it appears this "training event" involved NEGRO (the word at the time) leadership, not Baptist per se.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42262[/ATTACH]

So, if you want to go on a racist rant, please feel free to do so without me, because you'd be saying "it says a lot about blacks...."
            And the negro leadership that attended was largely Baptist, which created quite a stir among the churches which sent men to those workshops.

I can imagine the old men telling their wives, and churches........
            Last edited by simplicio; 01-20-2020, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              And King was a serial adulterer even possibly participating in orgies. A fine Christian gentleman deserving honor...
              Benjamin Franklin is the most hedonist sexual deviant in history and likely involved in pedophilia in a sex club in London and France. Estimates indicate he had 15 children out of wedlock. Would condemn his contributions to the founding of our country and take his picture off the 20 dollar bill?

What about Trump?

Lee was a gentleman of his time and a great military officer. Some people or states choose to honor Lee, but I do not.
              Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-20-2020, 01:46 PM.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                Benjamin Franklin is the most hedonist sexual deviant in history and likely involved in pedophilia in a sex club in London and France. Estimates indicate he had 15 children out of wedlock. Would condemn his contributions to the founding of our country and take his picture off the 20 dollar bill?

What about Trump?

Lee was a gentleman of his time and a great military officer. Some people or states choose to honor Lee, but I do not.
                That is not the point Shuny! We were comparing Lee to King...
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  What quote box are you referring to? You have quoted nothing, nor have you provided a link for anything you have said. You made your comment about Christians in general and Baptists in particular with absolutely no link to even prove you are getting that idea from someone else.

And I certainly appreciate your patronizing manner toward me.

Are you telling me that I hold the same "brand of Christianity" as Beth Moore? She is a charlatan and her theology has no link to what I believe.

Please give me a link to the particular post by the particular poster you are talking about. I don't have time for your nonsense without you providing proof.

And, I've noticed you haven't answered my question about your own faith. Are you a Christian? I would like to know exactly what you believe.

You may pm me with a statement of your faith if you don't want to share your testimony here.
                  I am Catholic. A Catholic Christian.

Your faith mirrors that of John MacArthur and the stance of the site Pulpit and Pen. That OP presented views of opposing Christian elites. The title is beth moore go home.

My post seven shows the post I was responding to, which is post four. I thought the blue box was called a quote box which is included in the post when I click on the "reply with quote" button.

It is not all that confusing.

Comment

And the negro leadership that attended was largely Baptist,
                    Because blacks of the time tended to be overwhelmingly Baptist. It wasn't Baptists swarming to these events, it was BLACK Baptists.

which created quite a stir among the churches which sent men to those workshops.
                    Many of the BLACK attendees were horrified at the debauchery, yes.

I can imagine the old men telling their wives, and churches........
                    So, you're saying that blacks are more prone to sexual deviancy than whites?

Comment

So, Lee was doing what was socially acceptable in his time (regardless of the standards of today), and King was doing what was clearly NOT acceptable for a Baptist Minster (regardless of the standards of ANY day), yes?

Comment

I am Catholic. A Catholic Christian.
                        Oh. That parody of Christianity, then. It explains a lot.

Your faith mirrors that of John MacArthur and the stance of the site Pulpit and Pen. That OP presented views of opposing Christian elites. The title is beth moore go home.
                        Who called MacArthur and those who listen to him a "parody of Christianity"?. You still haven't provided me with a link to the post you are referring to.

My post seven shows the post I was responding to, which is post four. I thought the blue box was called a quote box which is included in the post when I click on the "reply with quote" button.

It is not all that confusing.
                        Your post 7 refers to post 4, indeed, but post 4 has no link to show where you got your information which prompted YOUR statement about Christianity in general and Baptists in particular.

It really isn't all that confusing, indeed. Stop patronizing me!

Give me a link to both the post you are referring to where someone calls my "brand of Christianity" a parody. And a link to whatever news story prompted your remark about Christians and Baptists.

By the way, it's not a good idea to toss stones at others when the Catholic church is responsible for massive sexual immorality down through the centuries.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Because blacks of the time tended to be overwhelmingly Baptist. It wasn't Baptists swarming to these events, it was BLACK Baptists.

Many of the BLACK attendees were horrified at the debauchery, yes.

So, you're saying that blacks are more prone to sexual deviancy than whites?
                          From your response, it seems you are willing to give those stories credence?

The orgy charge is a calumny against King, unverified (according to the FBI) gossip. It does refer to one man directly, but it also implicates many other Christians. When it came out, many churches were shocked and surprised, churches which sent leaders to the workshops.

Comment

And by the way, let's throw Trump into the mix! Just because we need another thread about Trump!

Comment

From your response, it seems you are willing to give those stories credence?
                              I'm willing to consider the possibility that they are, in part, true, but as I clearly pointed out, this is new to me -- I'm not a fan or student of orgies.

The orgy charge is a calumny against King, unverified (according to the FBI) gossip.
                              So, why didn't you object to it up front, rather than try to use it to throw Baptists under the bus?

And the document I included was from the FBI.

It does refer to one man directly, but it also implicates many other Christians.
                              The "training workshops" were overwhelmingly blacks. Do you dispute that?

When it came out, many churches were shocked and surprised, churches which sent leaders to the workshops.
                              You're repeating yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                                Oh. That parody of Christianity, then. It explains a lot.

Who called MacArthur and those who listen to him a "parody of Christianity"?. You still haven't provided me with a link to the post you are referring to.

Your post 7 refers to post 4, indeed, but post 4 has no link to show where you got your information which prompted YOUR statement about Christianity in general and Baptists in particular.

It really isn't all that confusing, indeed. Stop patronizing me!

Give me a link to both the post you are referring to where someone calls my "brand of Christianity" a parody. And a link to whatever news story prompted your remark about Christians and Baptists.

By the way, it's not a good idea to toss stones at others when the Catholic church is responsible for massive sexual immorality down through the centuries.
                                Post four was by seer, not me. It refers to something which already hit the news, the release of FBI files. Seer referred to it an existing story which is accepted by many. If there was an orgy, it is likely King was not the only one participating with the prostitutes, it is likely that attendees to the workshop took part if it happened. The story is a condemnation of others, not just King.

Yes the Catholic Church has had many calumnies leveled against it also, and the tales of orgies are anchored in erotic fantasies also. Which is why I took notice of the King orgy stories.

Comment