Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Happy Robert E Lee Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Robert E Lee Day

Today is Robert E Lee Day in some states. Lee is deserving of such recognition because of his record ?

Today is also MLK Day, MLK is deserving of such recognition because of his record of elevating Christian principles to apply them to the problems facing society, for his unwavering recognition of human dignity, for is tireless work in defending those facing injustice, for his modern interpretation of the faith for the twentieth century.

King associated with communists. The holiday is a black holiday and not one recognizing all Americans. King was a rabble rouser who cost states money and provoked violent reactions wherever he went.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

Oh, but I wish that were true today.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

Oh, but I wish that were true today.
      And Lee said his chief concern was to be a humble and earnest Christian. And lived out that desire by whipping recaptured slaves, allowed (encouraged?) his soldiers to kidnap free and escaped blacks to sell, rejected prisoner swaps of it included black soldiers, noted blacks were ill disposed for work and lacked intellectual capacity for full participation in civic life.

A fine Christian gentleman deserving to be honored.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
        And Lee said his chief concern was to be a humble and earnest Christian. And lived out that desire by whipping recaptured slaves, allowed (encouraged?) his soldiers to kidnap free and escaped blacks to sell, rejected prisoner swaps of it included black soldiers, noted blacks were ill disposed for work and lacked intellectual capacity for full participation in civic life.

And King was a serial adulterer even possibly participating in orgies. A fine Christian gentleman deserving honor...
        Last edited by seer; 01-20-2020, 09:59 AM.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I said nothing in defense of Lee.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I said nothing in defense of Lee.
            True. But my post used ideas of Lee, yours used ideas of King. Both were Christian gentlemen.

Do you think Lee is worthy of the honor of a holiday?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              And King was a serial adulterer even possibly participating in orgies. A fine Christian gentleman deserving honor...
              Yes. It says a lot about Christians, especially Baptists, that they would so easily be drawn into sexual deviancy, of orgies, at a religiously themed workshop.

Comment

King associated with communists. The holiday is a black holiday and not one recognizing all Americans. King was a rabble rouser who cost states money and provoked violent reactions wherever he went.
                From the evidence, at best he was a unwitting puppet of the USSR, who used him to stir up division and weaken the US.
                Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                  From the evidence, at best he was a unwitting puppet of the USSR, who used him to stir up division and weaken the US.
                  Civil rights is a commie plot! I suppose that Letter from a Birmingham Jail is a Trotskyite propaganda?

I read the speeches and writings, and look at his actions, and see a committed and courageous Christian, whose thought was formed by, and informed by, the Christian faith.

Comment

Yes. It says a lot about Christians, especially Baptists, that they would so easily be drawn into sexual deviancy, of orgies, at a religiously themed workshop.
                    The point is I do believe that Lee was a committed Christian with a blind spot when it came to slavery, just as King had a blind spot when it came to infidelity.
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Civil rights is a commie plot! I suppose that Letter from a Birmingham Jail is a Trotskyite propaganda?
                      Nice straw men.

It is well established that the USSR wanted to sow division in the US, King was surrounded and influenced by communists, and that his actions contributed to the widespread division.

While there were definitely legitimate grievances by blacks, it is also established that the Communists particularly desired to support the civil rights movement.

I read the speeches and writings, and look at his actions, and see a committed and courageous Christian, whose thought was formed by, and informed by, the Christian faith.
                      I expect no less from a self-admitted simple one.

Despite a nonviolent facade, King and his allies cynically put children in the position of beaten up and killed for emotional manipulation.

But the civil rights movement wasn’t seen as nonviolent in its day — and for good reason. The most jarring evidence of this came just a month after King’s Birmingham jail letter. In May 1963, movement organizers assembled black children , some still in pigtails, to march through the streets of Birmingham and confront Bull Connor’s violent police force. It was a controversial tactic within the movement, but organizers must have known that images of jailed, beaten and cowering children would affect hearts, force a response from officials and move the movement toward its goals.
                      AD

“They couldn’t have been ignorant of the terrible response,” says King biographer and New York University historian David Levering Lewis. “King and his inner circle appreciated the probable certainty of violence on the part of the establishment to trigger responses that they wanted, in terms of legislation and policies.” The children called it “D-Day.”

Connor didn’t disappoint. He attacked the marchers with German shepherds and baton-wielding policemen. Connor’s army funneled hundreds of children and teenagers into overcrowded jail cells. Still, the kids returned to the streets the next day. And the day after that. Malcolm X, whom history treats as the movement’s violent alter ego, criticized King for the event, saying that “real men don’t put their children on the firing line.” King, on the other hand, called it “one of the wisest moves we made.”

The Children’s Crusade changed the way the movement was covered by the press. Where the crushing effects of segregated schools hadn’t won hearts, where brutal, state-sanctioned beatings of hymn-singing black men and women hadn’t gained sympathy, the nation couldn’t ignore the images of children recoiling from the raised batons of sneering police officers. Only the most distressing type of violence worked.
                      AD

This was King’s strategy. “Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed,” he said — an aggressive and confrontational stance that Americans rejected at the time and have forgotten today. Most people, including Northerners, opposed King’s March on Washington, fearing that it was a call to uprising. A Gallup poll conducted in May 1963, the same month as the Children’s Crusade, found that 46 percent of Americans held an unfavorable view of King. The only public figure more disliked in the poll was Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev. By 1966, more than two-thirds of Americans had an unfavorable view of the civil rights leader.

Black Lives Matter doesn’t fare much better: In a September PBS-Marist poll, 59 percent of white Americans said BLM is a distraction and, in response to a separate question, 41 percent said it advocates violence (16 percent said they were unsure whether it does).

King, likewise, faced editorials admonishing him for provoking riots and isolating those sympathetic to his cause with his “excessive” demonstrations. Progressive white Americans, who distinguished themselves from the “bigots and hatemongers” in the South, turned against King when he came into their de facto segregated neighborhoods to protest racist housing practices — in much the same way Bernie Sanders supporters slammed the “extreme” tactics of activists who took the presidential candidate’s stage in August to demand that he address systemic racism.
                      AD

Even black Americans criticized King’s strategy. In response to a demonstration that turned violent in Memphis in 1968, a black man penned a derisive letter to King, blaming him for the death of a 16-year-old boy who was shot by a police officer in the chaos that followed the protest. “I know that you think that you are helping all of us Negroes,” the man wrote, adding: “After knowing the honest truth about this and many other deaths caused by your calm riots, we as a body had rather not have any thing else to do with you or your so called righteous riots or better, righteous murders.”
                      https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...ement-did-too/
                      Last edited by demi-conservative; 01-20-2020, 11:03 AM.
                      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Are you a Christian? You say you are. If you are, then you condemn yourself by your own words.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

True. But my post used ideas of Lee, yours used ideas of King. Both were Christian gentlemen.
                          Mine was a direct quote of King. (I believe it's assumed by some it was actually plagiarized)

Do you think Lee is worthy of the honor of a holiday?
                          I was happy with President's Day.

Comment

No, actually it says something about those particular men.

Comment

While, of course being "easily be drawn into sexual deviancy, of orgies, at a religiously themed workshop".... you're just trolling, eh?

Comment