Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Impeachment Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Right, Gallop was the outlier.
    "Gallop." Don't they do the "giddy up poll"?

Remember when you mocked Rasmussen as being a partisan outlier when their polling found that over 30% of blacks had a favorable view of Trump? Well, not long after both Gallup and Emerson have concluded the same thing. So at what point in your mind can something no longer be considered an "outlier"? I suspect for you it'll remain so for as long as the conclusions contradict your worldview.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• John Rood:
      Trump’s proposed Syria withdrawal was met with criticism from many military officials, as was a later reallocation of American forces in Syria. The December 2018 announcement, among other issues, led to the resignation of then-Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, who had brought Rood into the top policy job.
“

Very few Mattis people are left, which means very few people to push back,” another former official said. “The White House does not want contrary views.”

A spokeswoman for Rood at the Pentagon declined to make him available for comment.

Rood’s departure caps a period of high turnover in the Pentagon’s policy shop caused by numerous departures and lengthy vacancies. Rood has not had a permanent top deputy since his former No. 2, David Trachtenberg, departed last summer, and many other positions are being filled by officials in an acting or a temporary capacity — including three of the five assistant secretary positions under Rood.
The top policy position for the Middle East has been vacant since December, despite significant upheaval following the Trump administration’s killing of Iranian Quds Force leader Qasem Soleimani last month.
      https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...dd7_story.html
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        Gotta love your sources, MM.

But who needs Fox and Breitbart and other questionable far right sources like 'Conservative Treehouse', when we have 'Trump Web'? And only four instances of alleged "lying"? President Trump made 16,241 false or misleading claims in the three years until Jan 20, 2020 since taking the oath of office - according to the Washington Post
        Trusting a source where the lion's share of his "lies" are denials of colluding with the Russians?

And how many of them deal with his claim he was being wiretapped -- which turned out to be true?

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        While nobody can gainsay that Trump often plays fast and loose with the truth (show me a politician who doesn't) these lists freely mix in exaggerations, hyperbole, differences in opinion, misstatements, estimates and even misquotes and quote mines to grossly inflate these numbers.

FWIU the largest percent of "lies" told by Trump according to a list concocted by the Washington Post revolved around his claim that he didn't collude with the Russians[1]. Even though that we now know that he was telling the truth the WaPo still refuses to remove any of them from his list of lies.

But then what do you expect from someone who... well,
        Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        The Washington Post has just provided an excellent example of just what sort of things get included into these various lists of "lies" that Trump tells that gets the left's knickers all in a bunch.

Yesterday Trump hosted the Clemson University's football team at the White House after they defeated Alabama at the College Football Playoff National Championship. Due to the partial government shutdown the White House kitchen staff has been furloughed so Trump went out and bought $3000 worth of fast food for them. What upset those afflicted with TDS at the Washington Post was Trump's statement that they had hamburgers stacked "a mile high." So they actually had what is painfully obviously a figure of speech fact checked to see if the hamburgers would literally be a mile high

Yup. You read that right. They actually fact checked it.

Their solemn conclusion? "At two inches each, a thousand burgers would not reach one mile high."

So this will now join the list of LIES! told by Trump

Likewise, during the SOTU last year he said that a third ("one in three") of the women and girls illegally crossing the border end up getting sexually assaulted. Now according to Amnesty International the number is closer to 60% and one study even puts the number as high as 80%, but Politico and the Washington Post cited statistics indicating that the number is 31% so that they could call the claim false. Talk about your nitpicking. It is almost a given that every past president and every politician has used "one-third" or "one-half" rather than a specific fraction, and walked away without being fact-checked but with Trump rounding off like that gets called another lie.

Another thing listed as a "lie" multiple times are Trump's statements about NAFTA being a bad deal. The Wapo insists that it was a great deal, in spite of the majority of economists describing it as being at best a mixed bag, so therefore they label his opinion a lie. In any case he was able to renegotiate an even better trade deal with Mexico and Canada.

Trump constantly screws up and exaggerates. For him, like your typical New Yorker from Queens or the Bronx, everything is the biggest, the best, the greatest etc. (a characteristic also often associated with Texans)[2] and he gets hammered for it as well.

1. I wonder how many thousands upon thousands of "lies" the MSM told about that -- and continues to disseminate about it.

2. Trump actually refers to this habit over thirty years ago in his 1987 book The Art of the Deal:

"People want to believe that something is the biggest and the greatest and the most spectacular. I call it truthful hyperbole. It's an innocent form of exaggeration — and it's a very effective form of promotion."

Interestingly, the MSM tends to ignore that quote and instead prefers to circulate a wholly bogus one that has been repeatedly debunked by Snopes, FactCheck.org, Politifact etc. because it keeps getting repeated, namely that he also wrote

"You tell people a lie 3 times, they will believe anything. You tell people what they want to hear, play to their fantasies, and then you close the deal."

There is nothing even remotely like that in the book yet it still appears in most lists of his "lies."

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          Yes, for Trump that is: 49% approval rating.
          Considering the 24/7 drumbeat coming from the MSM and Hollyweird as well as the Democrat Party (perhaps I'm being redundant here) for 4 years now that Trump is everything from being worse than Hitler to a traitor, it is stunning that his approval ratings aren't so low that they're subterranean.

Still, they're higher than what Obama's were at this time and that was with continuous adoration and praise being heaped upon him. And criticism was not tolerated. Late night comedians were still telling George W. Bush jokes because they were scared of being branded a racist if they poked fun at the Obamessiah.

Comment

• Looks like another liberal narrative has crashed and burned. Bolton says that his testimony probably wouldn't have changed the outcome of the impeachment trial, which suggests that he is not in possession of any smoking guns.

Former national security advisor John Bolton criticized the House Democrats’ impeachment effort against President Donald Trump as “grossly partisan” and said his testimony would have still resulted in the president’s acquittal.

Speaking Wednesday at Vanderbilt University alongside Susan Rice, former national security advisor under President Barack Obama, Bolton condemned House Democrats for what he described as “impeachment malpractice” and speculated that the proceedings “drove Republicans who might have voted for impeachment away because it was so partisan.”

Bolton shot to the top of the Democrats’ witness wish list after a New York Times report alleged that his forthcoming book — The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir — contains allegations that President Trump wanted to tie U.S. security assistance to Ukraine to investigations into former Vice President Joe Biden, and his son, Hunter Biden. President Trump has repeatedly denied the report and labeled the book “nasty & untrue.”

“People can argue about what I should have said and what I should have done,” Bolton said. “I would bet you a dollar right here and now, my testimony would have made no difference to the ultimate outcome.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ump-acquittal/
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Looks like another liberal narrative has crashed and burned. Bolton says that his testimony probably wouldn't have changed the outcome of the impeachment trial, which suggests that he is not in possession of any smoking guns.

Former national security advisor John Bolton criticized the House Democrats’ impeachment effort against President Donald Trump as “grossly partisan” and said his testimony would have still resulted in the president’s acquittal.

Speaking Wednesday at Vanderbilt University alongside Susan Rice, former national security advisor under President Barack Obama, Bolton condemned House Democrats for what he described as “impeachment malpractice” and speculated that the proceedings “drove Republicans who might have voted for impeachment away because it was so partisan.”

Bolton shot to the top of the Democrats’ witness wish list after a New York Times report alleged that his forthcoming book — The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir — contains allegations that President Trump wanted to tie U.S. security assistance to Ukraine to investigations into former Vice President Joe Biden, and his son, Hunter Biden. President Trump has repeatedly denied the report and labeled the book “nasty & untrue.”

“People can argue about what I should have said and what I should have done,” Bolton said. “I would bet you a dollar right here and now, my testimony would have made no difference to the ultimate outcome.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ump-acquittal/
              All that suggests is that he knows how partisan and unprincipled the republican Senate is and that regardless of any testimony from him, regardless of any evidence, the republicans were never going to convict.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                All that suggests is that he knows how partisan and unprincipled the republican Senate is and that regardless of any testimony from him, regardless of any evidence, the republicans were never going to convict.
                Sure, you can spin it like that if you don't mind looking like an idiot.

Comment

Sure, you can spin it like that if you don't mind looking like an idiot.
                  JimL is clearly more concerned with toeing the talkingpointsmemo line than optics.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    JimL is clearly more concerned with toeing the talkingpointsmemo line than optics.
                    Right... I don't think it would have been hard to convict Trump if the Democrats had good evidence that he actually committed a crime or engaged in criminal like behavior. The idea that Schiff and the gang could have produced the proverbial smoking gun and still failed to get a conviction is a silly liberal narrative.

Comment

Actually that's what you people are doing when you argued and continue to argue against allowing all blocked documentary evidence and witnesses from being admitted at trial. The reason for your repeating those talking points is obvious. You weren't interested in the evidence possibly contradicting your arguments, you were only interested in the wannabe dictator being aquited.

Comment

• 40 months for Stone, Barr hangs by a thread.
                        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Right... I don't think it would have been hard to convict Trump if the Democrats had good evidence that he actually committed a crime or engaged in criminal like behavior. The idea that Schiff and the gang could have produced the proverbial smoking gun and still failed to get a conviction is a silly liberal narrative.
                          You mean that it would not have been hard to convict Trump if the Senate Republicans had honored their oaths and conducted an impartial trial with witnesses – many of which indicated that they indeed had the smoking gun. Bolton for one.
                          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Actually that's what you people are doing when you argued and continue to argue against allowing all blocked documentary evidence and witnesses from being admitted at trial. The reason for your repeating those talking points is obvious. You weren't interested in the evidence possibly contradicting your arguments, you were only interested in the wannabe dictator being aquited.
                            What the heck are you rabbiting on about?
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

What the heck are you rabbiting on about?
                              I'm rabbiting on, as you put it, about your complicity in supporting and defending a lawless wannabe dictator.

Comment

I'm rabbiting on, as you put it, about your complicity in supporting and defending a lawless wannabe dictator.
                                You shouldn't post while freebasing, Jim.

sigpic

Comment