Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Impeachment Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Press restrictions?
    We witness the death of American democracy.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      Press restrictions?
      We witness the death of American democracy.
      Meh..... This is a SHOW TRIAL.... the Democrats want the press there for their antics.

Are the Press totally EXCLUDED, or are they limiting it to a "press pool"?

And I'm watching it LIVE.... why do I need some pinko commie liberal press person telling me what they think is going on?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

A trial without evidence is not a trial. It will be as close to that as McConnell can manage.

One hopes this is a low point in American history, but I am confident that Republicans can go lower.
        Seriously? Your own royalty is quitting...
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Meh..... This is a SHOW TRIAL.... the Democrats want the press there for their antics.

Are the Press totally EXCLUDED, or are they limiting it to a "press pool"?

And I'm watching it LIVE.... why do I need some pinko commie liberal press person telling me what they think is going on?
          You are watching McConnell-vision. I am reading a blog.

“Whether we have a fair trial will determine whether you have a basis to render a fair and impartial verdict,” the California Democrat says.
          Good point wasted on the Republican controlled Senate.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

No, I'm watching the proceedings live --- you're swallowing squirrel poop, my friend.

That second "quote" of yours dishonestly makes it appear that I said that. I'm sure that is not your intent.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No, I'm watching the proceedings live --- you're swallowing squirrel poop, my friend.

That second "quote" of yours dishonestly makes it appear that I said that. I'm sure that is not your intent.
              Are you claiming not to be a California Democrat?

Comment

Are you claiming not to be a California Democrat?
                I am.

Comment

Wow, Schumer is calling for an amendment asking for Chief Justice to be instructed to issue subpoenas for..... just about anything that may have happened anywhere in the world at any time!!!!

(OK, that's obviously a stretch, but SHEEEEEESH.... this is a fishing expedition for materials they should have obtained PRIOR to the presentation of "an overwhelming case".)

Comment

Wow, Schumer is calling for an amendment asking for Chief Justice to be instructed to issue subpoenas for..... just about anything that may have happened anywhere in the world at any time!!!!

(OK, that's obviously a stretch, but SHEEEEEESH.... this is a fishing expedition for materials they should have obtained PRIOR to the presentation of "an overwhelming case".)
                    The White House has refused to turn over any subpoenaed documents to Congress and has argued in court that the Judiciary has no involvement in such disputes.

I assume that you're mad at the Trump administration for not complying with congressional subpoenas, even as it releases some of those documents to private organizations through FOIA? I assume you consider that ... obstructive?

--Sam
                    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                      A trial without evidence is not a trial. It will be as close to that as McConnell can manage.

One hopes this is a low point in American history, but I am confident that Republicans can go lower.
                      You're parroting Chuck Schumer, and it's a stupid argument. The House managers will be free to present every piece of evidence they gathered during the two-part impeachment inquiry. Complaints like yours and Chuck's seem to be an implicit concession that the evidence on hand is insufficient to support the accusations.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I am.
                        Yeah, I didn’t think so. For the record, l hereby advise all readers that the quotation above was taken by me from a blog quoting the heroic Schiff. Which blog, I don’t know.

Comment

By the way, I'm actually watching the very fair and balanced extremely impartial George Stephanopoulos' presentation of the Senate Trial.

Comment

Yeah, I didn’t think so. For the record, l hereby advise all readers that the quotation above was taken by me from a blog quoting the heroic Schiff. Which blog, I don’t know.
                            Laughing. I appreciate your willingness to revise and extend your remarks, and the clarity with which you declare your ignorance of the source of the material.

You, sir, are a treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                              The White House has refused to turn over any subpoenaed documents to Congress and has argued in court that the Judiciary has no involvement in such disputes.
                              Trump's legal dream team has this covered.

The House impeachment inquiry resolution failed to authorize hearings that had already happened. The resolution of October 31 “directed” House committees “to continue their ongoing investigations” into the president. However, the White House notes (emphasis added), “the Resolution did not purport to retroactively authorize investigative efforts before October 31.” Subpoenas that were invalid before October 31 therefore remained invalid.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...278#post704278
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

I assume that you're mad at the Trump administration for not complying with congressional subpoenas, even as it releases some of those documents to private organizations through FOIA? I assume you consider that ... obstructive?

--Sam
                                I'm not mad at anybody, Sam. God is good!

ETA: And, what MM said!

Comment