Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Impeachment Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Because "abuse of power" is not a crime in and of itself, it's the description of a crime. It would be like charging someone with a traffic violation but never specifying what law was actually broken. A judge would throw that nonsense out in no time flat.
    Well there’s your problem, you don’t actually know what abuse of power is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
      Well there’s your problem, you don’t actually know what abuse of power is.
      I actually do, which is why I know that accusing someone of "abuse of power" without naming the actual crime is a legally toothless charge. The majority of the Senate knows it, too.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Trump isn't your King just yet, CP.
        Nor will he ever be. Only jackwagon conspiracy theory nutters think like that.

Vindman and everyone else in the Administration's first loyalty is to Constitution and Country, not to the King.
        According to the Constitution, they serve at the pleasure of the President. Maybe in your liberal pinko commie version of the country, it works the other way.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          There’s an evil spirit that dwells in Trump’s heart. Some can see it and others cannot. It uses charm to seduce you, it plays the victim and offers gifts. It demands not service, but loyalty, and judges people according to their loyalty. It lies constantly.
          Actually it's more prosaic than an "evil spirit". As many have previously noted, Trump suffers from a Narcissistic Personality Disorder and he should not be in a position of power.

"The hallmarks of narcissistic personality disorder are grandiosity, a lack of empathy for other people, and a need for admiration. People with this condition are frequently described as arrogant, self-centered, manipulative, and demanding. They may also have grandiose fantasies and may be convinced that they deserve special treatment......"

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl...ality-disorder
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
            Well thereÂ’s your problem, you donÂ’t actually know what abuse of power is.
            Oh, he knows all right, Guys like MM don't concern themselves with things like facts or truth though, they'll go with whatever rationalization they can come up with if it suits their purpose at the time. If it were Obama instead of Trump you can bet MM, and republicans in general, would be screaming "Impeach him, Impeach him, ABUSE OF POWER.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Nor will he ever be.
              Well if not, it will be no thanks to you.

Only jackwagon conspiracy theory nutters think like that.
              Nope, people whose minds are open to facts and truth think like that. You'll find out some day, whether you want to or not.

According to the Constitution, they serve at the pleasure of the President. Maybe in your liberal pinko commie version of the country, it works the other way.
              They serve at the pleasure of the president, not in loyalty to the president. Maybe someday you'll learn to distiguish between the two terms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                Actually it's more prosaic than an "evil spirit". As many have previously noted, Trump suffers from a Narcissistic Personality Disorder and he should not be in a position of power.

"The hallmarks of narcissistic personality disorder are grandiosity, a lack of empathy for other people, and a need for admiration. People with this condition are frequently described as arrogant, self-centered, manipulative, and demanding. They may also have grandiose fantasies and may be convinced that they deserve special treatment......"

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl...ality-disorder
                Trump is definitely a narcissist. Almost as bad as President "I-me" who was there immediately before him.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Trump is definitely a narcissist. Almost as bad as President "I-me" who was there immediately before him.
                  But of course he was.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

When I find somebody in my employ who is disloyal to me (hardly EVER happens ) I show them the door. It's standard business practice.
                    This needs a little thought - what is the difference between a business owner and the POTUS? The people give the POTUS a great deal of power to use of their behalf. The public demand proofs that the executive will not abuse that power or act against the country’s interest.

How’s the accountability going?

If you make exceptions because he is on your team, then you are part of the problem. Do you think that your civic duty is to be his base?
                    Last edited by firstfloor; 02-08-2020, 03:57 AM.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Eugene too!
                      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                        This needs a little thought -
                        You called Rachel, didn't you?

what is the difference between a business owner and the POTUS? The people give the POTUS a great deal of power to use of their behalf.
                        There are similarities and there are differences, obviously.

The public demand proofs that the executive will not abuse that power or act against the country’s interest.
                        And an election occurs every 4 years for an opportunity for the peaceful transfer of power.

How’s the accountability going?
                        It's less than a year for the people to speak. Meanwhile, there appears to be no "overwhelming support" from the people for the loony left's recent weaponization of the process of impeachment.

If you make exceptions because he is on your team,
                        I'm an Independent.

then you are part of the problem. Do you think that your civic duty is to be his base?
                        My Christian duty is to pray for him as a duly elected leader of my country.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Joe Walsh talks to Virginia Heffernan on Trumpcast.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            Oh, he knows all right, Guys like MM don't concern themselves with things like facts or truth though, they'll go with whatever rationalization they can come up with if it suits their purpose at the time. If it were Obama instead of Trump you can bet MM, and republicans in general, would be screaming "Impeach him, Impeach him, ABUSE OF POWER.

And vice versa. If it was Obama instead of Trump, you would be saying 'he's done nothing wrong'.

You're so obviously completely partisan that you aren't even slightly credible. Doesn't matter that you can point to the partisanship of posters on the other side, they're not credible either.

Want people to take you even slightly seriously? Be just a little objective. Back up your claims with evidence (something you're notorious for NOT doing), and be willing to admit when you're wrong.
                            ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                              And vice versa. If it was Obama instead of Trump, you would be saying 'he's done nothing wrong'.

You're so obviously completely partisan that you aren't even slightly credible. Doesn't matter that you can point to the partisanship of posters on the other side, they're not credible either.

Want people to take you even slightly seriously? Be just a little objective. Back up your claims with evidence (something you're notorious for NOT doing), and be willing to admit when you're wrong.
                              First off if it were Obama, I would be surprised and saddened, but facts are facts and I would agree with the need of his being removed from office had he committed this violation of the Constitution. But it wasn't Obama, and we had no fear that Obama would be such a lawless wannabe dictator. But you are correct in recognizing that you are not credible.

Comment

You called Rachel, didn't you?
                                Rachel
                                Virginia Heffernan
                                Andrew Torrez
                                Benjamin Wittes
                                Preet Bharara
                                and many others.

I heard this morning, Joe Walsh saying that some members of Trump’s base, believe that never lies and he has never played golf since becoming President. He explains why they follow him. Every day’s a learning day.

Comment