Page 17 of 109 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: The Impeachment Trial

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I like how all these liberals are prepared to declare Trump guilty without even hearing what the defense has to say first. As King Solomon said, "One man's story seems convincing, until another man challenges it."

Remember, the President's counsel was barred from participating in the impeachment inquiry, so their testimony to the Senate will be the first time any of these allegations will be formally and comprehensively rebutted. Jay Sekulow says that their response will have two parts: 1) they will challenge the validity of the impeachment inquiry; 2) they will present a positive case for the President's innocence.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

2. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    What is it you're trying to say about these Republican Senators, CP?
    Same thing I've been saying all along, Jim - that this is an entirely POLITICAL process, with the Dems foisting an entirely PARTISAN prosecution, and nobody should be surprised that the Republicans respond along PARTISAN lines, as well.

I don't know why that's so hard for you to grasp.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    No it doesn't.
    Yes, it actually does. There will be no removal from office without REPUBLICANS being convinced.

It has to convince people like you so that the republican senators will not alienate Trump supporters at the ballot box and lose their seat.
    Wow, you mean... this is POLITICAL???? Like I've been saying all along?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watermelon View Post
    Well ‘overwhelming evidence’ is based on the legal civil standard. Many judges have come out and said they have had criminal convictions on less compelling evidence than what the house presented so stating that there is ‘overwhelming evidence’ is clearly not an overstatement. Common law predominantly has an adversarial system of law which is basically which sides story do you believe.
    So, "many judges" have expressed opinions. Stop the presses - CASE CLOSED!

The two stories are the only options one can choose from. Based on the evidence presented which story is more credible? That’s the legal standard. Then the required standard of proof asks how much is one story more credible than the other? Lowest is being just slightly more credible while the highest is so credible that the other story is extremely unlikely.
    You realize that only ONE SIDE (the prosecution) has presented a case, right? In ANY trial, judgment is withheld til all the facts are in.

Whether the legal standard convinces senate republicans or not is another matter.
    For the third time this morning - this is not a LEGAL process, this is a POLITICAL one, and it began with an entirely PARTISAN prosecution, with even some Democrats providing the only BIPARTISANSHIP by saying no.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Far too many here are in the mold of Carroll's Queen of Hearts expressing the "Sentence first! Verdict afterwards." mentality.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Far too many here are in the mold of Carroll's Queen of Hearts expressing the "Sentence first! Verdict afterwards." mentality.
    Or "got a rope - trial will follow hangin'".

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Nadler angered a lot of Senators (and members of his own team) when he insisted during opening arguments that a vote to acquit would be regarded as a cover up.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Nadler angered a lot of Senators (and members of his own team) when he insisted during opening arguments that a vote to acquit would be regarded as a cover up.
    Which, after the President's Team angrily responded to this crap, caused Justice Roberts to step in and say...

"It is appropriate at this point for me to admonish both the House managers and the president's counsel in equal terms to remember that they are addressing the world's greatest deliberative body," Roberts said. "One reason it has earned that title is because its members avoid speaking in a manner, and using language, that is not conducive to civil discourse. "

He continued: "In the 1905 [Judge Charles] Swayne trial, a senator objected when one of the managers used the word 'pettifogging' -- and the presiding officer said the word ought not to have been used. I don't think we need to aspire to that high a standard, but I do think those addressing the Senate should remember where they are."

God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The leftist media is literally treating Schiff's droning nonsense as "the best speech since I Have A Dream". I wish I were kidding...

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Republican senators will make their decisions not based on the evidence before them, but what vote helps to get them re-elected.

It is the nature of the American system of government that politics so easily overrides justice at this level of the hierarchy.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell