Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Impeachment Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam View Post
    That said, going Switch over Wii U is definitely worth it, if affordable. Huge, categorical improvement.
    And new Animal Crossing! \o/

...well, this thread spun wildly off-topic.

I guess we'll pick up the trial talk again tomorrow when there's something new to discuss.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
      I hope I am not the only one noticing someting a little absurd about this post...
      I think it was too polite, but not absurdly so.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        So far, Schiff is droning on and on, reading (and stumbling through) his script, putting occasional weird "emphasis inflections" from time to time, complaining about the fairness of the process, having totally screwed up the process in the House.
        I look forward to seeing the Shillue version on Gutfeld this weekend.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          Friend, I am telling you this for your own health, sanity, and relationship with your son:

He means a Nintendo Switch. Probably with Smash Bros. or Pokemon Sword.

--Sam

ETA: also pleassse refrain from using God's name flippantly! It's among our most sacred treasures.
          Well I got the switch it was only $399aud and Pokemon sword was $69 but he wanted Mario cart. Wife was angry and said a five year old is too young for video games. I guess I should’ve run it by her first. Now my daughter wants a piano since her brother got something. At least my son enjoyed his first day at school.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            We have a strict "no smart folks at the table"-policy in my house.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
              a five year old is too young for video games.
              I mean, as long as you're responsible with what kinds of games and how long you allow them to play I don't really see any issue with letting a five year old play video games. Probably don't want to start an argument with your wife over when it's appropriate for a kid to start gaming though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Um... Trump's team didn't lose the Kupperman case. His lawsuit was dismissed but only because the House withdrew the subpoena.

As for Schiff, Jay Sekulow schooled him by quoting Schiff's own words back to him.
                Sekulow’s an idiot.

President Trump’s impeachment managers made little secret Tuesday that they’d rather put House Democrats on trial than Trump. They repeatedly alleged mistreatment of Trump in his impeachment rather than dwelling upon the evidence against him.

But in one instance, one of them badly overreached.

Appearing shortly after 6 p.m. on the Senate floor, Trump’s longtime personal lawyer Jay Sekulow offered an indignant rebuke of the Democrats’ impeachment managers. What he was so incensed about: that they had allegedly referred to “lawyer lawsuits” in prosecuting the case against Trump.
“

And by the way — lawyer lawsuits?” Sekulow began. “Lawyer lawsuits? We’re talking about the impeachment of a president of the United States, duly elected, and the members — the managers are complaining about lawyer lawsuits? The Constitution allows lawyer lawsuits.

It’s disrespecting the Constitution of the United States to even say that in this chamber — lawyer lawsuits.”
Sekulow added that it was “a dangerous moment for America when an impeachment of a president of the United States is being rushed through because of lawyer lawsuits. The Constitution allows it, if necessary. The Constitution demands it, if necessary.”

There was one problem: Sekulow was referring to a quote that doesn’t appear to exist. He appeared to have badly misunderstood what one of the Democratic impeachment managers said.

Shortly prior, Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.) laid out her case against Trump. In the course of it, she referred to “FOIA lawsuits” — not “lawyer lawsuits” — referring to the Freedom of Information Act.
                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                  Sekulow’s an idiot.
                  I assure you, he is not.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                    … Trump’s longtime personal lawyer Jay Sekulow ...
                    So, a whole 2 1/2 years is "longtime"...
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Hmmm!

House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff appears to have mischaracterized a text message exchange between two players in the Ukraine saga, according to documents obtained by POLITICO — a possible error the GOP will likely criticize as another example of the Democrats’ rushed effort to impeach President Donald Trump.

The issue arose when Schiff (D-Calif.) sent a letter to House Judiciary Chairman Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.) last week summarizing a trove of evidence from Lev Parnas, an indicted former associate of Trump’s personal attorney Rudy Giuliani. In one section of the letter, Schiff claims that Parnas “continued to try to arrange a meeting with President Zelensky,” citing a specific text message exchange where Parnas tells Giuliani: “trying to get us mr Z.” The remainder of the exchange — which was attached to Schiff’s letter — was redacted.

But an unredacted version of the exchange shows that several days later, Parnas sent Giuliani a word document that appears to show notes from an interview with Mykola Zlochevsky, the founder of Burisma, followed by a text message to Giuliani that states: “mr Z answers my brother.” That suggests Parnas was referring to Zlochevsky not Zelensky.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...vidence-101832

But it was nice of Politico to generously refer to this as merely a "mischaracterization" rather than call out Schiff for lying.

Comment

By the way, trial rules are in place. The only change from McConnell's proposal was to spread the 24-hours of opening arguments out over three 8-hours sessions instead of two 12-hour sessions.

Personally, I think they should just cram it all into a straight 48-hour marathon and get it over with.

Comment

Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                          Well I got the switch it was only $399aud and Pokemon sword was $69 but he wanted Mario cart. Wife was angry and said a five year old is too young for video games. I guess I should’ve run it by her first. Now my daughter wants a piano since her brother got something. At least my son enjoyed his first day at school.
                          Solidarity and peace for your house. Minecraft is a good skills-building game for youngin's that the wife might get on-board with. All sorts of amazing things to make in creative mode.

Props to your daughter for going the piano route, too

--Sam
                          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

"It's remarkable that the first thing the Democrats do at the outset of the Senate trial is to say, 'we need more evidence,'" observed deputy White House counsel Patrick Philbin. It's a "stunning admission" that their case is inept, he added. Even Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-HI) admitted as much.

Although the House Democrats had 17 witnesses and more supposed evidence, they're "afraid" to present what they have, Philbin charged. The Democrats, he added, were admitting that "there is no there there" and they were "just trying to ram this through" before Christmas.

Philbin made a comparison. If he showed up to a court of law as a litigant and told the judge that they needed "more discovery," the case would be thrown out and the lawyers "would probably be sanctioned."

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortne...ement-n2559889

----------

Throughout the day House managers for the Democrats, including Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, repeatedly made the argument that the case against President Trump is so strong, he would surely be convicted in a court of law. Democrats repeatedly made this argument, despite failing to name a crime in the two articles of impeachment they voted to pass last month.

But they also argued that Senators will fail to carry out their duties if they do not call additional witnesses or subpoena more documents from the executive branch to prove President Trump's guilt.

By making both of these arguments at the same time, House managers cancel out both of them. White House Counsel Pat Cipollone made this point during debate yesterday.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...tself-n2559898

Comment

I wish someone on President Trump's team would raise the very important point that Joe Biden has never posed any threat to Donald Trump as an opponent!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Throughout the day House managers for the Democrats, including Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, repeatedly made the argument that the case against President Trump is so strong, he would surely be convicted in a court of law. Democrats repeatedly made this argument, despite failing to name a crime in the two articles of impeachment they voted to pass last month.

But they also argued that Senators will fail to carry out their duties if they do not call additional witnesses or subpoena more documents from the executive branch to prove President Trump's guilt.

By making both of these arguments at the same time, House managers cancel out both of them. White House Counsel Pat Cipollone made this point during debate yesterday.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...tself-n2559898
                                I made that point over a month ago. Nobody could tell me which it was, Did they have enough evidence to convict or did they need to call more witnesses and get more evidence at the senate trial to convict? If the latter, then they are admitting they impeached Trump with insufficient evidence. If the former, then they don't need any more witnesses or evidence now.

Comment