Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Impeachment Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stone:
    The initial recommended sentence of seven to nine years was harsh, but it was within the guidelines for the seven counts on which Stone was convicted — a situation in which prosecutors are generally given discretion to make a recommendation. An anonymous senior Justice Department official said Tuesday that the recommendation was considered “extreme and excessive” and that the prosecutors hadn’t accurately communicated what it would be up the chain of command.

Even if that’s what happened, this was still senior Justice Department officials intervening in an unusual way — and in a case of distinct personal interest to the president. Even if Trump hadn’t directly lobbied for the decision, it would be problematic, because it suggests that his political appointees are riding to the aid of his allies, over the judgments of prosecutors handling the cases. A Justice Department official on Tuesday couldn’t name another instance in which a sentencing recommendation had been overturned so quickly.

And now Trump is linking this personally to Barr — the man whose conduct on the Russia investigation has erred repeatedly in Trump’s favor.
Trump has essentially argued that there is nothing wrong with such an intervention, even if he had directly ordered Barr to take such actions (which Trump denies having done in this case). Speaking to reporters Tuesday, Trump said that he “would be able to do it if I wanted” and that “I have the absolute right to do it.”

Trump routinely claims such broad authority, but generally the Justice Department guards against perceptions of political influence in investigations — and that’s particularly important in cases involving the president and his allies.

We’ll surely learn more about how all that went down in the days to come. But Trump’s tweet sure didn’t diminish the idea that his Justice Department is doing his political bidding — starting at the top.
    WaPo
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...tone-decision/

I found a button.
    Last edited by firstfloor; 02-12-2020, 02:55 PM.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
      Working as intended... recommend an excessive and disproportionate sentence, and when the DOJ steps in to correct the recommendation, spring the trap and falsely accuse the President of overstepping his authority.

You see, not all conspiracies are theoretical.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        EGGcellent!!!!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Working as intended... recommend an excessive and disproportionate sentence,
          That the sentence recomendation was excessive and disproportionate was the estimation of the very person, Atty Gen. Barr, who intervened. That just doesn't happen and in this case the only reason for such an intervention is political. Trump intervened in the military court as well if you remember, overturning that courts verdict against the navy seal.

and when the DOJ steps in to correct the recommendation, spring the trap and falsely accuse the President of overstepping his authority.

The DOJ, Atty Gen. Barr, obviously intervened at the orders of the President, otherwise it doesn't happen. The 4 Prosecutors resigned for a reason, because they are not blind to what is going on throughout the institutions of government like you pretend to be.
          Last edited by JimL; 02-12-2020, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Working as intended... recommend an excessive and disproportionate sentence, and when the DOJ steps in to correct the recommendation, spring the trap and falsely accuse the President of overstepping his authority.

What’s your theory of the resignations; this being a trap and all?
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Obama's team ..... how do you put it.... tossed their toys out of the crib?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                That the sentence recomendation was excessive and disproportionate was the estimation of the very person, Atty Gen. Barr, who intervened.
                No it wasn't. Reports indicate that a number of higher ups at the DOJ thought the recommendation was absurd.

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                  It makes for a good story, doesn't it?

"Look at all these fine, upstanding prosecutors resigning in protest! The sky really must be falling!"

Don't worry about them, Lawfare will make sure they don't go hungry.

Comment

No it wasn't. Reports indicate that a number of higher ups at the DOJ thought the recommendation was absurd.
                    Trump knows better, as he praised Barr for the intervention in the case.

Comment

Trump knows better, as he praised Barr for the intervention in the case.
                      So what? Barr didn't makes decisions in a vacuum and bases them on the recommendations of those within the DOJ.

Comment

So what? Barr didn't makes decisions in a vacuum and bases them on the recommendations of those within the DOJ.
                        And you know this how?

Comment

And you know this how?
                          News reports are pretty unanimous on this being the opinion of multiple officials in the DOJ. Remember, Barr speaks for the entire agency. He's not just giving his personal opinion.

Comment

WaPo -

I assume the news doesn’t reach your residence, or you have your TV tuned to Fox.
                            Just FTR, Fox News is where I first saw it. I was busy with other things and didn't really pay attention, however, so I'm not sure how much detail they gave.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Spouting the latest liberal talking point right on cue...

CBS News Catherine Herridge reported ...
                              You can't trust her! She used to work for Fox News! Clearly she switched networks for the sole purpose of becoming a Trumpian mole!
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

• Turley finds the DOJ intervention problematic (I don't), but has long said the prosecution was excessive from the start (I agree).

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment